MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dealing with Diabetes

Stephanie

Hi Friends,

I've noticed many of you are diabetic or have a loved one who is diabetic. I'd like to hear from you concerning what you're doing to control it now and what you'll do THEN in a crisis.

I am Diabetic 2, diagnosed about 3 years ago? I'm on a variety of medications frown and trying hard to reduce my weight (25 lbs lost).

I know there are a number of herbs that work as well. Are you taking something in particular now? Stocking up on it?

thanks

I am pre diabetic - my A1C is 6.2 (under 6 you are "normal", 7 or higher, you are diabetic).

I take 2 - 3 grams of cinnamon a day to help regulate my blood sugar (depends on what I eat that day if I take 2 or 3). Wal-Mart sells 1,000mg cinnamon capsules. 1,000mg is equal to 1 gram.

Depending on the severity of the diabetes, it is recommended a dosage ranging from 1 gram to 4 grams per day. Your doctor can confirm that the cinnamon will help stabilize your blood sugar.

FWIW - One person my wife suggested this to was a "brittle" diabetic. He had to check his sugar about every 2 - 3 hours and inject insulin accordingly. He started taking the cinnamon (I THINK it was 4 grams ). Within 6 months his sugar had stabilized to where he only had to take his sugar twice a day.

Hey Campy! I am normal on that test but at last years thanksgiving I found I do show sugar at times. I take the cinnamon capsules and put it in alot of foods or my coffee too, and its capable of dealing with buildup of plaque in the arteries and help the heart function, and to burn calories better, increases metabolism and helps burn up the sugar one takes in ( all the white stuff). I am losing weight too, which will also help stave of Type 2 Diabetes I hope. My mom had Type one. It certainly regulates the bloodsugar.

Does anyone know if it stimulates the glucagon type hormone in the human body? I know protein does this... I cant think of the proper name for it and substituted the prescribed stuff some folks take when they are Type 2.

I eat small meals and try to have a balancing act of wholesome carbs and proteins, and all the vegies I can get ahold of for nutrients and added fiber and general good health.

Good health to all! Take care. Its worth doing!!

Staceyy your blog was very interesting, plan to visit it again! thanks

Campy I'm going to pick up some of those cinnamon capsules tonight and get started on them. My mom's suggested many times that I try them, well this recent 'health' alarm going off in my body has gotten my attention.

Arby, I am suppose to eat 6 small meals and have fallen out of the habit, thanks for the reminder, I'm going to try to start that again.

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

I am type II also. I take 2 Metforman a day and I have started taking 2 capsules of cinnamon a day. I can have a 90+ or a 120+ in the mornings. I just bounce all over the place. I don't have the same reading two times in a row, to often. Of course it all depends on what I eat.

Oldpine has very high numbers and is taking one shot in the evenings as well as 2 Metformans a day. This still isn't doing the job, so not sure what they will be doing about it.

Of course we could both drop a few pounds and it would do a lot of good and our numbers would also drop.

I keep bouncing around with the weight too. frown

haveanicedaydogandflowers.gifHUGS4-1.gif

I should probably become more serious about what to do in crisis concerning my diabetes. I take 4 metformin daily. I try to eat well. Can't say I always do. It is hard when you have company, birthdays, or holidays.

The hardest part for me it trying to cook. You have to taste when you cook. All that tasting adds up for carbs and calories. I do find this one of the hardest parts.

With canning season, I seem to be so busy I have not been on the treadmill like I need to be to control things, either.

Tomorrow I see the doctor. I am not looking forward to it, either.

Well, I went to Wally World and got the 1000mg cinnamon, I'm going to give it a try. And then stock up on some of it.

I can easily get extra metformin, but the other diabetes meds ... if something really major happened... I'd be out of luck. frown

So, I'm going to look for alternative stuff and continue to work on exercise and losing more weight (25 down 2 million to go) just kidding... but it seems that insurmountable sometimes. I'm making little mini goals...hoping to lose another five by the time I go to Darlene's in October and then another five by the time I go to my Mom's at Thanksgiving. I know one thing, that 25 is never coming back. smile

Stephanie, I am also on Glucophage (the brand name of Metformin--metformin is made of corn, and Glucophage is made of potato starch...you know me and the corn allergy..)

Like you, I am worried about what to do about running out of meds in a crisis. I just signed up for our insurance company's mail program where you get three months' of meds by mail. At least that way, I'd have more than just a month's worth at a time.

Like you, I just lost about 25 pounds--and it did lower my sugar levels..I"m working on the next 25 now..and walking every day helps.

I was having trouble with higher blood sugars in the morning when the nurse suggested that if I ate a snack before bed of celery with some peanut butter on it, it would go down. It did, oddly. I should have asked why.

Anyway there are a lot of us here with the same concern...good to know, because sometimes we all need a little support! Thanks for bringing this up.

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

I've not heard of eating that either, JCK88, but, if it works, then that is good.

Now, for all of you who are walking, add your miles to the walking post each Monday. smile

I know I need to do more walking as just walking around and doing the housework, isn't like really walking outside or on a treadmill.

HUGS4-1.gifhaveanicedaydogandflowers.gif

I too, am Type 2, have been for years.I take no meds but try to control the best I can through proper eating (portion sizes) and physical activity. Most times I do pretty well, but as Violet mentioned "taste testing" is hard for me too. Too often, when we sit down to supper...I've already had mine...one taste at a time! We have no insurance so its like we have to "save up" to be able to pay to go to a Dr. much less to be able to afford the meds they want you to take.

Karen

• 1 month later...

I was diagnosed offocially two weeks ago with type2 Diabetes and I have to admit it really has impacted my life. Arby and another wonderful member of Mrs.S. turned me onto the cinnamon capsules and I'm so grateful! bighug

Here are the things that I am doing as of October 9,2008:

1.)Monitor my blood sugar before and two after meals (until I see the doctor again on the 29th)so that we will have an accurate accounting of my blood sugars just incase the doctor wants to increase my medication.

2.) I take metformin twice a day.

3.) Take 2 1000mg capsules of cinnamin twice a day.

4.) Got back on my Weight Watchers program, doing it at home cannot attend meetings as they are 30 miles away. There are alot of wonderful sites on line where you can research the program on your own and do it as well as support forums where others are doing it alone and we swap recipes and ideas.

5.) I keep a daily journal for my doctor and dietitian that shows the Kcals, fats, carbs, and fibers... on the remote chance that they might want to know what I'm eating. Which the dietitian did just that this morning!

6.) Keep my W.W. food and points journal dailey to help me stay within my daily points allotmant.

7.) Finally, I printed out the ugliest, fattest, Beached Whale photo of myself that I could find and it's taped to my bedroom door... i have to look at it first thing in the morning and every night before I go to bed... eek Believe me, I watch what I'm planning to eat now and think twice if I really want eat a cookie or a piece of candy.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but I've managed to lose 7 1/2 pounds in the past 10 days and I intend to stick to with it.

Congratulations Twilap on your weight loss!! clap

I'm struggling to get back on an exercise routine since we closed down our pool for the summer. frown

I was doing so good, swimming nearly every day, now?? I'm trying to walk around our pond early in the mornings.

Congrats twilap!

JCK--- the peanut butter has enough protein, so that counters the blood sugar by producing the glucagon type hormone, I cant recall the name of it, but thats what is in the met--- pills some of you are taking. I do not have any idea how they get it out of potato starch.. I have been told to have only small portions of anything white, sugar, potatoes, rice, cornbread too as its sugars galore, and I do much better if I eat lean, fruits instead of cakes and pies or icecream, lean meats, fish, proteins... a handful of almonds or 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds that are raw. Some people eat dried soybeans, maybe they are roasted? I can't because of my teeth right now. Whey protein drinks, it balances out the sugar, and I see it must increase my metabolism as I lose weight.

Hunter gatherer type of eating I call it. Portion size too, been keeping a tight watch on that. Oh, pasta is a baddie too.

Going to this type of eating, veggies that are not starchy, lean, lots of fiber and nutrients.... it is what helps me and I have never had too much protein from this.

I add protein if I have starches, or eat something like PB on a spoon at night if i had starches earlier and I feel pretty good.

And I enjoy a bit of chocolate sometimes, but keep to two or three bites.... love those flavinoids.

Fighting the battle of the bulge, yes , taking it in stages too as much as I can. Still trying to get myself out side more to take that walk.

One of the problems I have is if I am having a big anxiety day, I tend to not eat at all. Just stay with fluids. And that eats up pounds but its not healthy behavior either. Sort of the opposite end of the spectrum I guess.

Stephanie,

I was diagnosed as diabetic around 8 months ago! I changed the amount of food I eat, and felt better for it, then looked closely into the TYPES of food I was eating & what types of food are “Good” 4 us. I determined that whole grains, are Good, including the so-called “ancient Grains” Teff, Amaranth, Quenwa Kamut , but also Spelt, Rye,, wheat, etc. . I find, for me at least, RYE is particularly GOOD .

I am not on any medications, have lost very little weight, so far, but do feel better overall!

So my plan is to stock up on as much “ancient grains & RYE as I can! There are some European studies that strongly suggest that RYE enhances the Immune system, and is of a great health benefit - overall . I tend to believe this as I have benefitted so very greatly from rye, as a cereal, a bread and as one of the MULTI grain breads I make!!

Im my research, ( which is addition to a course I tool 5 years ago- on Chronic Disease management- towards doing some volunteering to “disabled” folks dealing with chronic diseases), I uncovered what is called “ Glycemic Load “ and think it has SOME validity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_load

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Gly...r_100_foods.htm

If you want a look-see:

Different foods affect us differently and Give their benefit or debilation at various rates for differing periods.....

When looking into this information, I could see similarities in the “American” list of DO’s & Dont ‘s... and other factors for one to consider..... for me, it Glycemic LOAD & INDEX, seem to be a GAGE for how I might expect to feel, thus sort-of a guide to who much of a given food i MIGHT be able to consume!

I THINK there is enough information on-line that you Don’t need to purchase a book. I did not buy any books!

Aside from this, Im stocking up on Dry milk, sour cream, butter, buttermilk, eggs, etc, because they “fat Free” thus Ok to eat. ( in moderation of course) .

I stay away from CORN ( mostly) because it has been discovered that corn-syrup, ( natural to all corn) and the source of “high Fructose Corn Syrup” keeps the human appetite switch ON, thus we are HUNGRY and or CRAVE food more. ( Sugar can turn the appetite switch OFF especially if its in low dosages, & not used in conjunction with corn syrup). My appetite is much more under control, and I feel full after eating a “normal portion”. If I do have cravings, I eat berries, or some fresh vegetable.

I sure hope this MIGHT help some!

thanks Kevin

I bought a couple of the Glycemic Index Books and found them very interesting.

What amazes me about the perfect Diabetic Diet, is it's really the Perfect diet for anyone wanting to eat healthy.

I have personally found that one of my trigger foods is pasta, if I eat it, my numbers will go up, without a doubt. Even in a small portion balanced with a salad, etc...

And naturally... I love pasta! feedme

Yep Stephanie, that was actually what my mother raised us on.

Getting back to that and additions of healthy stuff I like other than what she regularly provided is what I am doing.

wink

BTW I am trying to prevent becoming a type 2 diabetic and yes it is in my family on both sides along with Mom having been a Type 1 since she was 19. Insulin dependent.

Store purchased Pasta is HIGH in starches,,

If you make you own, (I do) try it with Vital Gluten Flour, the reason being, there is LESS "starch" in Vital Gluten.......Also Mor proteins, and we diabetic need proteins

I buy my flours at a bulk supplier, and can get a 10 % discount when I but in BULK, being 10 lbs of more.

Ya might Mix Bread Flour, ( has vital gluten in it) with semolenis, for substance!

GOODMORNINGPUPPYINBOX.gif

JCK88, that is soooo great. smileCONGRATULATIONS13.jpg

Twilap, you too are doing great. smileCONGRATULATIONS13.jpg .

I have been taking only 1 500mg capsules of cinnamon twice a day, as this is what is on the bottle. I haven't said anything to my dr. yet, but see a different one on Monday. My dr. is out as she is going to have a baby. smile

I have never been one for pasta, so that is not my problem, not sure what is, but, I do crave sweets at times. I've heard when you are craving something you should eat a lot of it and then the craving will go away for a while. I've also heard that when you crave something, there is something lacking in your diet. So, who knows for sure.

I do know I need to do more walking and have to get back to doing it every day.

Good luck everyone. smile

HUGSMOUSEINSUGAR.gifHAVEAGOODDAY1.gif

JCK88,

We have the mail-order plan through Medco and I have found that I can actually re-order our meds every 9-10 weeks. I have been able to get a few months of extra meds on hand by doing this.

We are getting a new provider in 2009. We still will use Medco so I am not sure how it will work but we are suppose to get most routine meds for free which will be great if we still have a job then....rumored lay-offs.

Have a Blessed Day,

b.b.

Well. I started doiing BS before and 1 hour after every meal for the first week and began to notice a pattern with my BS being triggered when I eat the mini shredded wheat (plain, not sugar coated). Everytime I eat it my BS will go from 120ish to 218+. The only thing my dietition and I can figure out is the 1 1/4 c. portion is so high in carbs(49) that it has to be the trigger.

Now I am doing 2 hour after meal BS twice a week to meet the Doctors orders and I ate the "shredded wheat" once this week and had another 218+ BS. :-( Guess Shredded Wheat and twila have got to part company!

I eat alot of homemade Vege soup (twice a day usually), and that helps me with my portion control where the lunch and dinner meals are concerned. I see the dietition again on the 27th and the Doc on the 29th so hopefully they'll agree I'm making some sort of progress.

Thanks for the suggestion about mail-order meds. We are going over to that plan on Jan. 1 ! I learned that our insurance company is making this mandatory AND that they will send out a three months' supply at a time AND that it will cost less this way! So this is a good thing.

Well, I think I know what triggers my BS Spikes when I eat Shredded Wheat... It's happening with oatmeal too. I'm taking in carbs, but very little or no protein with these foods.

I had oatmeal yesterday and spiked to 191 2 hours after I ate. This morning I had oatmeal again, but added scrambled eggs also and my BS was only 118 2 hours later. Guess I'll haave to discuss it with the doctor tomorrow when I go in.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wNuhK87/weight.png[/img]

Archived