MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Alternative Cooking (Wonder Box)

• 3 weeks later...

I have just set a pot inside a cardboard box and stuffed wadded newspaper around it and covered with a towel. You can also nest two or three boxes for more insulation. Put anything available around the pot. Bath towel, rags, shredded or wadded paper, sawdust or shavings, though some of that can be a bit messy.

Power went off recently when I had a large sweet potato baking. I took it out of the oven already wrapped in foil, wrapped an old t shirt around it and stuck it down in a cardboard box full of shredded paper. Put a folded bath towel over the top. It finished cooking. I think it may have been half done when the power went out.

I have just set a pot inside a cardboard box and stuffed wadded newspaper around it and covered with a towel. You can also nest two or three boxes for more insulation. Put anything available around the pot. Bath towel, rags, shredded or wadded paper, sawdust or shavings, though some of that can be a bit messy.

Power went off recently when I had a large sweet potato baking. I took it out of the oven already wrapped in foil, wrapped an old t shirt around it and stuck it down in a cardboard box full of shredded paper. Put a folded bath towel over the top. It finished cooking. I think it may have been half done when the power went out.

Great way to save $. I bought a device at a .99 only that works like a charm. It's basically a piece of marble tile exactly like the ones at the hardware store in a plastic frame. You microwave it and put it under a plate of veggies or something and darned if it doesn't transfer heat to the veggies as warm as if you cooked them. Takes 5 minutes to transfer and a couple of minutes to heat up. It is also great for keeping a dish warm while you work on another one.

Archived