MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Earthquake Shortened Length of Day

Earthquake May Have Permanently Shortened Length of Day

Preliminary calculations show that the massive earthquake (magnitude 8.8) that hit Chile last week permanently shortened the length of each day on Earth by 1.26 microseconds, according to scientists at NASA. (A microsecond is one-millionth of a second.) The disaster shortened the length of the day by moving massive amounts of rock and shifting the Earth's axis. "'Any worldly event that involves the movement of mass affects the Earth's rotation,' Benjamin Fong Chao, of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, said while explaining the phenomenon in 2005," CNN reported. Last week's quake shifted the Earth's figure axis, the "one around which the Earth's mass is balanced, by about three inches.

................................................................................

OK, so I* was talking to my Mom on the phone and she told me about this and I had to look it up to see if it was true?

Looks like we have less time each day to work on preps! LOL

So when Darlene says there is less time to get ready she MEANS it! LOL

:AmishMichael2:

the problem with this type of story, is even if true, it doesn't tell us anything because we have nothing to compare it to. Like climate change. Is the change to something new? or is it returning to the way it used to be?

the problem with this type of story, is even if true, it doesn't tell us anything because we have nothing to compare it to. Like climate change. Is the change to something new? or is it returning to the way it used to be?

Seeing that the change is so small I don't think anybody will notice that the day is shorter and nothing (for now) will change as it was just a hic-cup in time. What we NEED is one on the 'other side' of the earth that big to move things back. LOL

:AmishMichael2:

Archived