MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Garbage can turkey

Basically a giant "beer can chicken", looks like! ;) Amazing, how just piling chacoal on top and around will cook the whole bird.

Couple of things...

First, if you're injecting a raw turkey with a marinade, never keep jabbing the needle back into the marinade unless you're going to throw it away afterward. Put about what you need into a separate container to use, then throw any leftovers *in that container* away. You have raw meat juices in it.

Second...

While I love the idea of using the trash container, and I'm sure it would be a fun way to cook a large bird, galvanized metal can emit fumes that could be dangerous. If it was well-heated first, before using it to cook, maybe those fumes would be gone. But DH says that the galvanization process will create fumes enough to make a welder sick, so what would it put into your turkey?

Here's one site:

http://www.finishing.com/85/35.shtml

I think I'd try it with a "only-for-this-use" trash can, well heated long before, if I were to try it.

Thanks, LindaLou! Very interesting!!! :bouquet:

Rather than deep fry an entire turkey, we did just a turkey breast a few years ago. We didn't have to use so much oil and we fried it in a large stock pot. It was extremely tender and juicy. We had heard about using a trash can, but didn't want to invest too much just to "try" a new recipe. It worked out well. Maybe we can try it again since turkeys are 38 cents a pound.

Archived