MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

half gallon ball jars

Robert Z

I don't can in them but store beans, rice, pasta, and grains in them and then seal them with my foodsaver. I know this has been discussed before and that there are only a couple of things that can be safely canned in them.

Violet or someone else with more experience would have to answer...it surely isn't me :shrug:

hope you got a good deal....................

Like stated above-We mainly use ours for 'storage' of grains, flour, rice and beans. But not for long term just what we have on hand in the Kitchen.

It does look nice when you open the cupboard and there are no boxes just old time jars with old time labels. :thumbs:

I got a case of 6 new jars with lids and bands. I could not find any cheaper anywhere else.

Only clear juice, like apple or grape juice. Not even tomato juice is safe to can in them. Leave them for dry storage. Besides, where would you get a tall enough BWB canner for them ?

I do hope you are planning on safe refrigerator pickles, too. Many of the old recipes can cause listeria.

Sheesh, I am tough, aren't I ? Well, this is about surviving here ! I just care, that is all.

I order mine new from Ace Hardware http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2841638&cp=2568443.2568448.2627687&origkw=canning and they ship them for free to my local store. I have them on open shelves in the kitchen and re-fill them as needed. I also keep my bulk spices in pint and half pint jars. I wish I could find some covered shaker lids for the spices but haven't seen them anywhere...don't even know if there is such a thing.

Have a blessed day :bouquet:

Only clear juice, like apple or grape juice. Not even tomato juice is safe to can in them. Leave them for dry storage. Besides, where would you get a tall enough BWB canner for them ?

I do hope you are planning on safe refrigerator pickles, too. Many of the old recipes can cause listeria.

Sheesh, I am tough, aren't I ? Well, this is about surviving here ! I just care, that is all.

Violet, I am not the sort of person to think that someone is being hard on me if they are telling me a hard true fact. Especially when it is obviously my best interest they are concerned with. I appreciate and value your input. Thank you!

I would only use current USDA recipes for such a pickle venture! I mainly got them because I wanted to make up some picked eggs (to be consumed within days) and I didn't have a suitable vessel.

My local Kroger has started to stock half gallon jars, they are $9.89 for 6 with lids and rings.

:wormie2:

John

[Homer Simpson]DOH![/Homer Simpson]

Violet, I am not the sort of person to think that someone is being hard on me if they are telling me a hard true fact. Especially when it is obviously my best interest they are concerned with. I appreciate and value your input. Thank you!

[

............. Now THAT says it all !

and if violet doen't know by now how much we depend on her for this kind of thing - I think I would send her a jar of pickles made with a recipe found scratched onto a cave wall. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Sorry to hear that you are sick Violet. Hope you feel better soon!:bouquet: Wish I knew how to send you some real flowers or something for all the times you helped me too! Just always know that you are loved and appreciated!

Thank you, Trudy.That is so sweet of you !

I am some better today. Still didn't feel like quilting, though. I hardly did a thing. Took a nap, sat at the computer most of the day, and watched Jeopardy.

I am looking at free purse patterns online. There are a bunch of them ! How nice, I don't have to pay for one.

Archived