MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

86 People

WormGuy

That is the new record of people on line at one time. I'm not complaining, It's that they were online at 3:38 am! Is there any way we can find out where these visitors are from? Any ideas on how to get more folks to join in?

:wormie2:

John

Administrators can look up the ISP/locations as a way to keep out spammers. When they are listed in the users area as being *on* the site, I can look them up.

Most of them are from China, some from the former USSR areas, and more and more from Asian countries that are actively involved in spam and viruses. Once in a while we'll see European countries, but mostly they're from the countries where a lot of "junk" originates online.

We are careful to check those foreign people's locations out if they register, because if we let them onto our site, we get "Click this link, it's a great place" spam. They research the site to see how best to tailor a spam link offer. If there are lots of guys, they use sex. With women, it's usually more like finding a bargain on "designer" stuff. Here, it's usually something prep or saving money - related. And if you've posted a legitimate email address or something else that might identify you in a post, they'll find it. That's why we ask people to use private messaging for that stuff.

We take the responsibility to protect and to help our members *VERY* seriously. Once in a great while, one will slip through, but we pounce pretty quickly. :whistling:

We even get spammers who will click on the "report this post" yellow triangle (bottom left of every post) just because it's something they CAN do without being registered. They try to get in somehow that way. We pounce.

There have been a few times that I've tried to contact somebody who kind of looks like they might be legitimate, but I've never gotten one who responds, "Yes, I'd like to join your group, and this is why..."

I am very surprised, sometimes, at the threads they are looking into. I'm sure that there may well be some legitimate "preppers" overseas that are researching info, but the vast majority just want to find a way into your computer.

Don't click on anything you get a "feeling" about. And set your settings so that pictures don't just automatically download. Pictures can have hidden viruses or trojans or worms embedded in the pixels. Email should have very tight security. Have several email addresses for different things, and don't use the same passwords everywhere.

There are more tips in our "WWW" forum.

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showforum=12

:bighug2:

I figured some of it was computer generated spammers. I'm glad our mods keep them at bay (THANK YOU). Spammers are bad enough but I didn't realize they could send encoded viruses. I guess I knew but wasn't thinking of it that way. Evil is as evil does.

BTW, I really enjoy our non-American members! I like hearing what is going on in their part of the world and what their take is on what all is going on.

Out of curiosity, I don't see many non-American members. Just a few I know of.

Without revealing anyone's location, how many of us are here would you think?

Archived