MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

reusable canning lids

So this year I am determined to do more serious canning (so far I have only done Jams and apple sauce, apple pie filling and apples for pork). This year I am planning a bigger garden and praying it will do well, good soil, some good compost and lots of room between plants, although I am thinking of going more on the square foot side since I may get more yield and fewer weeds, if anyone knows if that is accurate or not, please let me know.

I have heard of the reuseable canning jar lids and I am thinking of investing in some of them, as I also want to invest in about 500 canning jars too (I have a friend with a storage unit full of them that she is willing to part with a good portion of them). Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has used these types of lids and has any advice/feedback. They say that these lids can last for up to 20 years!

Thanks to anyone who knows anything about these. I will wait for responses before I invest in about 100 of them.

Go back to the "all forums" list page/homepage and type in "tattler" in the search box. You'll get a list of all the threads we've been discussing these in recently.

I'm guessing most are in the "Preserving the Harvest" forum, but there might be more elsewhere.

Personally, I think I'll stick to the metal lids. But that's me. :shrug:

We did talk about them quite awhile ago. I think it was under the word "tattler'

Most of us decided they weren't worth the money. For one, they are a lot more expensive than the normal lids. Also some people read where others were having problems with them staying sealed. And, if you want to give food away you may never see the lid again.

One major concern was what would happen if they stopped making the rubber 'o ring' that you have to use everytime?!

They are a major investment and although they say you can use them over and over again (which is true) you still have to buy the sealing rings and use them everytime you use the lids.

Not trying to talk you out of them; just telling what I learned about them. I'm staying with the regular ball type bands and lids. They will probably always be available and easier to use.

Oops sorry, I just read where Cat said they were under 'tattler'

Edited by Jeepers