MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hot pack vs raw pack

I've never raw packed chicken. Seems like it would be alot of work to get it off the bone raw.

I cook mine first in water and then have more broth than I need for canning so I can plain broth to drink when I don't feel good or use in soups, stews, dressing, etc. Sometimes I just freeze it in bags also. I do love that spare broth, it tastes soooooooo good.

1345766443[/url]' post='386191']

Doesn't boneless, skinless chicken cook in the pressure canner? :shrug:

I want to do some chicken this year too.

That is part of why I wonder about this, if it cooks while your processing it, why would you cook it to begin with?? Also, I have been wondering if I should put broth in or if I should let it make its own while it is processing. Chicken seems to make no sense to me. ashamed0002.gif

I wait for hindquarters to go on sale. The last time they were $.59 lb. and I use them instead of boneless skinless breasts.

In eating a piece of chicken I prefer the breast but when using canned I mix it in a casserole, noodles, soup, etc. and the dark meat works just as well and is cheaper. That's why I cook it first, too many bones to try to get raw chicken off..

I don't like to raw pack. During cooking, it all cooks together into a big lump! (I can pieces, not whole breasts). I had about 25lbs of breast and quarters to can, so I pre-cooked in aluminum turkey roasters. (Too much for my largest pot, and I got to throw the messy pans away!):eclipsee_Victoria: I boned the chix, put it into baggies and used the bones to make broth. then I diced the chicken and combined it with the broth from the bones and processed it for pints. :canning: Came out good.

I'm one of the lazy ones. I stuff chicken into jars, bones and all, though I remove the skin. Broth is optional depending on how much open space is left in the jars since the chicken will produce its own broth. Just have to remember that processing time is different between having bones and boneless.

I've learned a time consuming lesson this week. I will NOT process anything w/o liquid on it. Most of the jars of beef were 1/2 full but there was 1 that was 1/3 full. I packed the meat down with my fingers but have decided you must need a drill press to get it packed tight enough to fill the jar. At least with the liquid on it and it making more liquid as the meat cooks down it should be perfect.

I'm NOT telling any of you how to do it, you do what works for you. I've canned meat for a number of years now always using liquid and never had this problem. As I said, I've learned a very time consuming lesson this week and once learned I will not forget.

I didn't start them that way. I filled pint jars with beef chunks, pressed the meat down with my fingers until I could get no more in up to the 1" line. I then processed them with NO liquid and ended up with jars 1/2 full.