MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

MAJOR MRSSURVIVAL GLITCH

Darlene

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like this is westbrooks first post... can't find any... I discovered this looking to see who I had morphed into...

NO ONE! am no not anywhere to be found!

Lucky you ... this means I can run my fingers across the keyboard more! again!

Is this "glitch" why it erased my favorite threads? I was able to get back in after a bit. I just had to remember what email address I used. I had made a new name of Alphabet672 so if you ever see me on here as that.. I'm still the same chicka.

Now I gotta relearn everyone

Oh well.. The internet is the internet!

Amanda

Yup... still me, still a girl. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who switched genders around here. Jason Mc? Gees... a girl leaves for a few days and all of a sudden her key to the ladies room is switched to a map to the tree out back.

So... what's the dealio exactly... do we all just have to learn whos who and which is which or is there a way out of the looking glass. Cause I don't know bout you folks... but this is one GIRL who is having a bit of wind blowing up her skirts from the jump down the rabbit hole!

Highly Illogical.

Magpie,

Here's what happened.

Our old message board was a few years old. It had some corrupt running programs in it, which is why we'd get these error glitches from time to time.

When my license with our current server came up for renewal, I decided to have the site moved to another company because the present company isn't reliable and is very expensive. The new server company is top of the line, fantastic live support, and cost about 1/5th per year what the old company charged me.

MountainMommy built MrsSurvival as you see and know it today...she's been busy with her life the past few years, and when it came time for us to move the site, I got ahold of her and asked her if she'd help us...we've moved the site before to different servers over the years and it's been a fairly smooth transition...just the normal 24-72 hour down time while the new IP addy propogated around the world.

When MM started to get things organized and cleaned up to move the site, it just became one problem after the other. She had to change this and that, have this set up like this and that set up like that, and when she went to do a backup of the site before the move, too many files were corrupt and she was unable to get the backup to work, plus she wasn't able to get the old message board up online. We contacted the tech support for our message board and they were very helpful to MM, getting her fixes to get past the corrupt files so that she could upgrade the board and get a backup done.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll, that's when we got to this point. The message board is upgraded finally, but because of all the problems with the old board, we're having to sift through these present complications. What is lost or messed up from the upgrade is permanent. Some of it can be fixed (like putting the correct mod's back on the forums and such), and some of it cannot be fixed.

From here on out though, everything we post or do, will be accurate. You will be who you are normally, but if you do searches into the past, that's where people will see the mixups and all that stuff.

I guess that's one of the complications with relying on software and machines. You can't sit down and have a heart to heart talk with them to get them to straighten up, nor can you undo the mistakes that happen along the journey.

I am however, optimistic. I feel a lot more at ease knowing that at least with what we have now, it's current, it's running smoothly and it's fixed all the problems that were just under the surface that we weren't aware of at the time. It could have been alot worse...I think the old message board (looking back now) was an accident waiting to happen and God forbid, but we could have lost so much more. Even though things may be a little screwey right now, all that we enter in now will flow correctly.

I hope this helps everyone to understand what's been going on the past few days. It's no one's fault, we're dependent on software and hardware to communicate with one another, and sometimes that medium fails us. We still hafta move the site to the new server...we still will be down for 1-3 days as the new IP address propogates, but the *worst* is over.

Ricardo is a thing of the past, and all these other crazy people will fade into the woodwork as the real *me's* and *you's* pick up the pieces and get back into the swing of things.

I am just so happy to be able to log in today! Yesterday I couldn't get in. My old posts show me as Twilap from New Jersey and my private messages are for Lowie. I think I am having an identity crisis....but who cares, at least I can sign on again! I missed everyone yesterday!

Woo! What fun reading. I can tell you, I have had problems moving a site to a new server, but NOTHING like this, LOL...and certainly never had the people involved think it was this darn funny. What a great group!

MM, I don't know php at all, but I can get ahold of someone who does, but her experience is in the (ahem) adult industry. If you dont' mind my contacting her on your behalf I will do so. I know some people are particular about that. She's amazing, though.

I know html fairly well, so if there is ANYTHING I can do to help, please let me know. With the board in php I doubt it, but if something comes up, don't hesitate to email me at SprtDrmr @ aol.com.

I absolutely love the new names. I'm kind of bummed I didn't get to know Ricardo, either!

ETA: ROFL I'm rockncook in the daily diary forum. Didn't know ya'll thought so highly of me, hehe. I did have to read that name twice to make sure it DIDN'T say what I thought it did! Icon's aren't working for me either!

And, MM, the new stuff that I've seen so far looks FANTASTIC! Thank you so much for all of your hard work!

Mommy of Six

Have you seen the little thing that says jump to the first post unread? COOL.. And down at the bottom it says Who's having a birthday today??? But wait a minute.. Where's the admin thingy? Where we can mod our forum?

This IS a great group of people. No whining, no complaining, just lots of fun and laughter over it all. I love you allllllllll!

Quote:

I have some questions though. Are all the back post still there somewhere only with the wrong names on them? Can they be edited, perhaps by the 'owners' of the posts? (if they really care that is) Those post have some really vaulable information in them and it is a shame if they are lost.

Darlene, MM, thanks for all the hard work you've gone to for this. A new start is NOT a bad thing.

OK, I went back and manually went through posts for one that I posted almost two years ago and it was there. I'm assuming the search feature works but I haven't tried that out yet. It was under my new name (rockncook), so I couldn't edit it logged on to this name, nor could I log in under that name. I tried both my normal password and just rockncook as a password and neither worked, so....can't edit as of yet if you can't figure out how to log on to that name. Seems all of my posts are under the same name so that should make them fairly easy to find. So I'm guessing that you will be able to search by keyword but not by author until the glitch is worked out. I will go try the search feature and post here if it is NOT working.

Mommy of Six

Hi! BennyBTraveler here. I cruise from forum to forum stealing identities, hence "traveler". My latest victim is "Kaye". She had such a boring name, don't you think?

Now, where can I meet this ricardo everyone is so excited about? And Judy Moist sounds VERY interesting.

Well, it looks like my new name on my old posts is DaisyGirl from the UK...I checked outside, but it still looks like PA to me. And since dandelions are my favorite flower I should have gotten that name. However, it looks like I'm back to just being me. This is fun!!! Think I'll lurk around and see who got to be me for a day...not a big deal, not like Queen or Mother for a day!!!

Did anyone store the backed up archives on their machine? If so, I'd be happy to repost missing posts. Might take me years to do it LOL, but I could scan through and find what seems to be most "pertinent"-recipes, needed advice, etc. and post those first. I'd just need to know what I'd need to read the files.

Mommy of Six

I have everything of value saved from the Canning forum (Preserving the Harvest) and the Kitchen... except for the last week or so. Anything by Administration is gone from those days.

By "everything of value", I mean I've cut out a lot of the chit-chat stuff in some.

But I understand Nana's posts are missing???

Archived