MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Annie's Salsa - Water Bath Canned

This is my second year of making Annie's salsa star...I doubled the batch. I used 12 medium Jalapano's and 1 extra cup of bell peppers. Yummy... I WB using the Vinagar recipe.

Not all Jalapano's are the same. Our's from out Garden were smoken hot. eek

Westbrook...Thank you for the help this morning. I got 17 jars. All but 1 jar sealed. I think my husband popped that jar. :spider: He poured the salsa on his toco's tonight.

This is a great recipe and worth making again and again. Perhaps Saturday I'll make a mild batch so the kids and I can have some.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where to put these two pics but I canned tomatos and also green and wax beans... so I'm gonna stick them here to share with you all. My first week of canning and I'm pooped. LOL

Tomatos- Click here: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/tamtam67/100_4329.jpg

Beans- Click here: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/tamtam67/100_4330.jpg

PTL! I'm getting to like this.....

Okay, everything is in the pan, waiting for the dishwasher to count down to 15 minutes left. Then I'll turn on the burner to simmer it for 10 minutes. It looks amazing!!!

I used 2 T sugar instead of 1/3 cup. I used 1 T salt instead of 2T salt (1/8 cup). I used cider vinegar (1 cup). I figure I'll taste-test it before I put it in the jars and can add more salt and sugar if I feel it needs it.

I used 3 jalapenos and 1/2 poblano for my hot peppers. I used the other 1/2 poblano as part of the 1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper. Should be nice & spicy. A good friend of mine grew the garlic (german - amazing flavor). Tomatoes are from my garden, my neighbor's garden and a favorite farm stand (all the peppers & cilantro are from that stand as well).

So yay! 25 minutes or so until I turn on the pot.

Alright, Tracie !!! It is so good ! I also cut down on the sugar last time. It was too sweet for me, as well. Next time I won't add any sugar until I taste it.

I open my jars of salsa, then add a little instant Clear jel to thicken it up before serving.

This is one of the best salsa recipes, in my opinion.

Yes, you can safely omit the cilantro.

Vlynn, I do hope your tomatoes don't die from frost. If you like green tomatoes, you may like the green tomato salsa recipe.

If it frosts, then the tomatoes are not safe to can, only freeze. They lose their acidity if they get frost bitten.

Violet, since it seems fairly consistent that this recipe yields 7.75 pints, do you think it would be safe to increase the fresh tomatoes by 1/4 cup in order to make the last pint full? I would think that it wouldn't affect the acidity, but wanted to ask to be sure.

Thanks!

Yay Vlynn!!

Just don't want my question lost, plus I have another...

Violet:

since it seems fairly consistent that this recipe yields 7.75 pints, do you think it would be safe to increase the fresh tomatoes by 1/4 cup in order to make the last pint full? I would think that it wouldn't affect the acidity, but wanted to ask to be sure.

Also, is it safe to use 1 cup lime juice instead of vinegar? It's commercially bottled lime juice from concentrate. (Real Lime)

Thanks!

Violet, Thanks for the information about tomatoes that have been frostbitten not being canned---I wasn't aware of that. In fact, I had read somewhere (sorry, don't remember the source)that some people freeze their tomatoes until they have enough to can---an added bonus, according to them, is that the tomato skins are then easily removed. Guess I won't be trying that.

If you freeze tomatoes that are ripened and the vines were not dead or frostbitten, then you could freeze those, then defrost and can, since they would have already gotten their full acidity in them.

It is when they are left on the vines, the vines get frostbitten or die, then you pick them, that it is unsafe to can them. They need to be frozen and not canned later.

I hope that makes sense.

This is what USDA says:

CAUTION: DO NOT CAN

TOMATOES FROM DEAD OR FROST-KILLED VINES.

Another batch, coming up to a boil.

This time the changes I made were:

ANNIE’S SALSA

8 cups plus 1/4 cup tomatoes, peeled and chopped

2 1/2 cups chopped onion

1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper used poblano

3 – 5 chopped jalapenos used 3

6 cloves minced garlic

2 tsp cumin

2 tsp pepper

1/8 cup canning salt used 1 T instead

¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

1/3 cup sugar didn't use sugar

1 cup vinegar used 1 c commercial lime juice

16 oz. tomato sauce

16 oz tomato paste

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process in BWB for 15 minutes.

hoping to get a perfect 8 pints of (hot) salsa!

bounce

Here is another question.

I have not found a good reasonably priced source for fresh tomatos, but I can buy crushed tomatoes at a decent price. Can I put them in a strainer (and save the juice :)) and then use that?

My family loves salsa and the price for already made stuff is, of course, going up. frown