MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone from SE Kentucky here?

frugalallyn

I was born in SE Kentucky (Harlan County) but was raised in Florida. I did a lot of work on my dad's family tree and contributed some of that work to people compiling a genealogy including my family name.

Imagine my delighted shock when I received a FREE copy of that genealogy in the mail sometime back, along with a notation in the book that I was one of the people who helped! There's a line in To Kill A Mockingbird that says that due to all the intermarrying in Maycomb County, Atticus Finch was related by either blood or marriage to nearly every family in town. I think that's true of Harlan County.

I'm new, and I'm looking forward to poking around and seeing what discussions are here.

I'm so glad you have so much information.

No, I'm not from Kentucky, but one of my GGGrandfathers was born in Louisville, Kentucky. That is where we are stopped on that side of the family.

Glad to have you with us. thhugdfrommetouanimals-2.gif

I'm not from KY, but my great grandfather was. John Freeman b. 1841 from I believe Whitley CO, KY ( I don't have access to my genealogical info since the records are in the storage unit at the momment, and Family Tree Maker is giving me fits!)

Sure is interesting to see how the intermarriages go. I have families that followed each other accross the country, marrying into each other, not closely, but cousins, and sisters, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Originally Posted By: Snowmom
I'm so glad you have so much information.
my grandfather from around there to (STONE-SMITH)
No, I'm not from Kentucky, but one of my GGGrandfathers was born in Louisville, Kentucky. That is where we are stopped on that side of the family.

Glad to have you with us. thhugdfrommetouanimals-2.gif

GOODMORNINGMARSHMELLOWS.gif

Well, I guess I didn't put which GGGrandfather was in KY. So here goes. It was Horace Lee Jones. We just don't have anything more on him from there back. We do know he had brothers and there were at least 3 of the boys who swam the Ohio River to get away from home.

Hope you all find the info you are looking for. smile

SNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpgHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Well, seems I'm picking up this thread a year later! I've got a Kentucky connection too, in Butler County (not quite southeast - more south central, I guess).

My mom's grandparents were from Logansport, in Butler County, KY. Allen JONES and his wife, Mary Jane LOVE moved from Sumner Co, TN to Butler County somewhere around 1858. One of their daughters, Margret E. Jones, married Isaac A. JONES, son of Wiley Jones and Mary Neal of Sumner Co TN in Sept of 1882, in Butler Co. Some of the family is buried in Salem Cemetary in Butler County. I'm still looking for the parents of Wiley, Allen and Mary Jane Love. I think I've found Mary Neal's family.

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

Wow, another Jones in the Mrs. S. family. smile I think that should make about 5 or 6 of us who have Jones in our line. smile

It is never to late to bring up a name in here. smile If you see some post you want to post to, that is fine no matter when it was posted. smile

Still looking for any information on Horace Lee Jones's family. smile

HAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gifSNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpg

Snowmom, I have some notes on various Jones families (lucky me - I've got 2 families of Joneses I can't keep up with!). I've never come across a "Horace" Jones, but you never know. At least I could keep an eye out for him when I go on wild goose chases.

Actually I may have 3 Jones families: Mary Neal (wife of Wiley Jones) was the daughter of Britton JONES Neal and I'm betting his middle name "Jones" reflects a family connection. DarleneSwoon

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

Wow, MtnMama, you really are 'Jones', smile and some of us have only one connnection with the 'Jones' name. smile

Nett, do you have 'Jones' in your ancestry too??

You know that is like around here where we live. when I was working with the Girl Scouts, everyone was related to almost everyone else if not everyone else, except me. So, I do know what you mean. smile

HAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gifWINTERHUGS.gif

• 3 months later...

I'm originally from Owensboro,Ky I have family in Eastern Ky Barborville, London I had an aunt that said We were kin to Gen. Robert E Lee My last name is Lee. I do know that Hawesville Ky is named after Richard Hawes on my mothers side of my family. He was confederate governor of Ky. for a short period of time during the cival war. I have an uncle that said it was for only 1 day but I read that it was more like a month. Any more information on the Lee geneolgy would be appreaciated. I don't have much on my dad's side of my family My dad died in 1982 all of his brothers and sisters are passed away.

Archived