MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My very best spaghetti sauce

waaaaa...

How do I find those posts? I tried the search and typed in the number and-guess what?-the only post that it found was mom11's where she listed them. lol Is there another way to do it?

Originally Posted By: Shari
This sounds great. I like the idea of zuchini in it! Does anybody know if it is ok to use ground turkey or ground chicken in recipes like this? 150# hubby is on a cardiac diet and needs to watch the beef intake. I can't seem to find any info on canning ground poultry. Thanks and hugs!

I've done it with both beef and turkey. There is very little difference.

OK...Necie...On "Preserving the Harvest" go to the 16th page and the spaghetti sauce recipes are there. CAT posted them and the dates are 08/02/06 and 08/03/06.

On the 22nd page is Darlene's marinara sauce recipe, as well as several others. The date is 02/20/06. I have made close to 100 quarts of this and am making more tonight. My sister has canned 60 quarts of it, this week. I got her started into prepping around Christmas...Her husband bought her an AA for Christmas and I bought her an Excaliber. She is going to town! Her teens, say she is addicted and needs help!

This is how my sister used the marinara sauce this week.

She pounded some boneless chicken breasts. Then she mixed cream cheese, mozzarella cheeses, some parmesan cheese, and a box of drained spinach. She spread this on each chicken breast...She made six. Roll them up and hold together with a toothpick. Put in fridge. When ready to cook, roll the chicken in 1 egg. Then did each in finely crushed Ritz crackers, mixed with a little butter. She thought they would bake better, if drizzled with a little butter, but the recipe didn't call for this. She baked these and poured the marinara sauce over the baked chicken breasts. She served these with spaghetti, French bread, and a salad.

Hi HSmom!

We LOVE this recipe! I am canning two more recipes of this tomorrow and my sister in Maryland is doing the same...You know sisters...What one sister does, the other has to...She's the copycat!

Well, since my sister hasn't registered yet, but promises she will..I have a question...How much zucchini powder and how much water would you need to mix to get X amount of puree?

Thanks!!!!

Well...I started with the amount of zucchini that I think would've made about 12 cups of puree - three giant ones (3-4 inches in diameter and 12-15 inches long). I sliced them and dried them and pulverized them. About half was powdered and the other half was small pieces (smaller than a dime). It made 1.5 cups, which is the same as 24 Tbsp. So we could surmise that 2 Tbsp dried zucchini would rehydrate to 1 cup of of fresh.

The 6 large that I say to use in the big batch of this recipe would probably make about as much puree as the three giants. So I guess you could use 1.5 cups of dried zucchini - and a bunch of water, a couple of quarts. I don't know if that's right or not, though. shrug

Add a bit, simmer a bit, taste a bit... If the sauce turns green you've added too much. lol

When I do this recipe again, and use dried, I'll repost to this thread, but I won't be for at least a couple of months, as I currently still have plenty of spaghetti sauce.

HSmom...My sister made 2 recipes of this today...She called me and said she felt so good, pouring all that green into the pot. By the time, her picky girls got home from school, they wouldn't even know...Today zucchini, tomorrow spinach??...She's on a roll and the door is WIDE open, now that she has found the art of chamophloging green things, in spaghetti sauce!!!!

Originally Posted By: HSmom
Well...I started with the amount of zucchini that I think would've made about 12 cups of puree - three giant ones (3-4 inches in diameter and 12-15 inches long). I sliced them and dried them and pulverized them. About half was powdered and the other half was small pieces (smaller than a dime). It made 1.5 cups, which is the same as 24 Tbsp. So we could surmise that 2 Tbsp dried zucchini would rehydrate to 1 cup of of fresh.

The 6 large that I say to use in the big batch of this recipe would probably make about as much puree as the three giants. So I guess you could use 1.5 cups of dried zucchini - and a bunch of water, a couple of quarts. I don't know if that's right or not, though. shrug

I dried "six large zucchini" to brittle, then pulverized them in the food processor. Here is the result:
100_3265.jpg
Looks to me like about 1.5 cups, so I would say that my earlier estimations are correct. curtsey
  • 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Darlene
Also adding whole carrots (how many depends on how big of a pot you are making) accomplishes the same thing the sugar does, but in a more natural manner.

bath

Who knew? Thanks, Husband suffers from Heart burn....I still have lots of carrots in the garden...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 years later...