MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The Great Escape

Darlene

On my way back home yesterday from Miami, about 2-3 hours out, I received a phone call.

The man that owns the boarding kennel where I put Ziya and Kayra called to inform me that my 2 dogs had somehow escaped their kennel. He had put them in a 10x10 area that was 6' high with a peaked roof that was open on each end. I guess my girls had climbed the fence and escaped through the open gable end. He and his employees were combing the surrounding area on dirt bikes and ATV's. There had been one or two calls of sightings of my dogs but they had yet to find them.

He called me 2 hours later to say they still had not found the dogs, and I told him I was 40 miles away from home and would get there as soon as I got in. He drove by my house in the hopes that they had somehow made it back (his kennel is just on the other side of the ridge), but no luck.

I got home, dropped off my oldest daughter and went over to the kennel. He showed me where he had been keeping them (a different kennel than what we had originally put them in), explained how the rest of the dogs had started barking and alerted him that my 2 had escaped. While I was there, he got another phone call of a sighting of my dogs so we all hopped into my car and took off to try and find them. We looked and looked to no avail and one of his employees offered to go out with us. We went back to his compound...he jumped on a dirt bike, his employee jumped on an ATV and I followed in my car.

Finally, I got low on gas, I was tired from driving 24 hours in 2 days so I let them continue on without me. I got a call from him about 9:30 last night telling me he was going to suspend the hunt for the night and get some rest. They had been scouring these mountains for about 12 hours...he had scratches and bruises all over him from taking the dirtbike off main roads looking for my 2 escapees and I know he was beat.

I kept telling everyone that these Anatolians were not like normal dogs but I don't think they quite got it. I'm sure now they do.

I also think Ziya and Kayra got seperated...the last sighting was only for 1 of them. Kayra might go to another human, but Ziya will not. I know they can survive out there just fine for an extended period of time if someone doesn't shoot them. On top of all that they are in heat, so their hormones are raging.

So, who knows where my 2 renegade Anatolians are at the moment...if they're still together or if they got seperated. All I do know is that the unique challenges of living a mountain rural life continue to surprise me.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my, Darlene! I would be worried sick over my dogs...I feel badly for you! Especially, since every stray coon hound in the county is HOT on their HOT little tails! I hope you like furry coonhounds! LOL.

Be sure to call the county animal control, and the local sheriff and advise they your dogs escaped. You might also pass the word to the folks on your ridgeline, not to shoot your LGD's.

Will say a prayer that both come home safely to you.

--Vic

I got a call about an hour and a half ago from the kennel. They had Kayra in their sites and needed me up there...

I've become very proficient at driving my Lexus 50-60mph on gravel roads...it's very similar to driving on ice, as the traction is very unstable with all the gravel.

I made it there in record time and Kayra was gone. I called and called and called her but she was long gone again. I got ahold of her breeder who started screaming about how the kennel was liable for all of this, etc etc etc. She really ticked me off cause I felt her response was inappropriate for the moment.

I don't give a chit who is liable, I just want my dogs back right now.

The things that is starting to hit me is that Ziya wasn't with her, so they have gotten seperated. Kayra is my blonde bimbo ditz and we love her but I've known for a long time she wouldn't be real effective at working this place. Ziya on the other hand, was true blue. The other day I heard a bunch of dogs barking in an unusual manner, a few were crying out, etc etc etc. A little while later, Ziya came home with blood all over her back. I have no idea what went down, but I do know that she didn't have one scratch on her...the blood was from someone else so obviously one of the dogs tried to threaten her.

I don't have time to get emotional about this, I need to try and find them first. But Ziya is really concerning me because she was bonded with me, and me with her...I've never bonded to a dog like I did her. Her personality was so much like mine, that we seemed to just understand each other.

Anyway, I'm gonna pray and wait and see.

Darlene, IMSORRYINPURPLE.gif about your dogs, I'd be worried sick if that happened here. frownHUGS22.gif

I do hope they both show up soon. Did you ever think Ziya might be trying to get back to Miami?

I do hope you find them soon. HUGS34.gif

If you have any of their toys, or especially some "dirty" clothes of yours that you may have sweated in, get those together and use them as "bait" - place them in some places near where she was last seen and wait (or have the kennel people wait around) - it couldn't hurt.

No, the dogs have not been found yet. I called again a little bit ago and the owner was out looking for them again. I sent him an email with pics of the dogs attached so he could print out flyers.

Unfortunately, they are not microchipped.

So they actually crawled out at the top of the enclosure where there was a gap between the roof and the top of the fencing?

Wow - they sound like Great Pyrennes dogs - those guys are amazing escape artists and think that the entire world is their territory. I had to capture one once (he weighed over 180 pounds) and it took a while to find him in the dark - finally cornered him and I had to tackle him as he dashed away - luckily he was a big baby and didn't bite me, but it knocked the wind out of me all the same.

Here's hoping those guys show up soon!

Darlene, If the dogs are bonded to you they will eventually try to find their way back home. It might take them a while but dogs are amazing in their ability to know directions. They may come back pregnant but that's better than not coming back at all. More than likely it's the hormones that are urging them on. Lets just hope that their desire to go home does not include a long trek to Miami.

Greywolf has a great idea about baiting them but be sure to have the bait where they can be captured. Otherwise, I'm sure you are doing all you can do for now. We'll all keep you and them in our thoughts and hope for the best.

((((Darlene )))))

bighug

Greywolf, they're Anatolians and run about 40mph, so it's virtually impossible to catch them. They use these dogs to work with Cheetahs, so that'll give you an idea of what I'm dealing with.

They're a very primitive breed, probably the most primitive breed in the US, and while very similar to the many varieties of dogs we have, also very different too.

Mother, I hope they find their way home, but I'm more worried now because they appear to have gotten seperated. If anyone could find their way back, it would be Ziya, and nobody has sited her, only Kayra.

I talked with Kayra's breeder today several times and she said that the longer they're gone, the less likely they'll come back.

I just was saying a prayer for both of them, Ziya in particular, asking the Lord to let her know how much I love and miss her... frown

I'm NOT going to cry.

Yet.

bighug

Lots of hugs Darlene. I know those are your babies. Praying here also. They are probably just being little hussies and having their wicked way with all the boy dogs around. Hang in there girl they will be back home soon and you will be a grandma to a bunch of mutts.

Dar I am praying that the girls return soon. I feel for you dear. Lord send the wayward girls home soon and safely. You know they are dearly loved and missed. For this we pray Amen.

I called the owner this morning...no new news.

I stopped by and he was gone so I called his cell.

I reminded him that the fact they have been split up is not a good sign. The fact that they've been gone 2 1/2 days now decreases the chance of finding them.

I asked how we will proceed if they are not found, and he assured me "honey, we're gonna find your babies!".

I informed him that I sure hope we do because he just lost $3000 worth of dogs.

He got ticked.

That ain't nuffin compared to how I'm feeling. I just want my babies back.

I used to raise greyhounds. I have had a lot of dogs get out of pens and get loose. I have found several, especially dogs that did not like strangers by driving around on roads and honking the horn and calling. If the dogs knows the sound of your car and if you drive a certain one then they know the sound of you coming home. You have to drive slow. If they do not come to people then they will not be found for a long long time and if they are alive they will be found. They will show up thin on a road or in a yard. I only lost 1 dog that never came back and he was half grown and I am sure coyotes got him. Another got caught in a trap and the people who had the traps brought him to my house, but his toes had froze and we had to put him to sleep. I had one so thin it was unreal and she was walking down the side of a road and somebody knew I had dogs and brought her home. She had got loose with some littermates by digging out and they all came back but her. I had a dog that I sold that got away from the people that bought her. Everybody was looking and I found her by driving. She heard the truck and came running out of a field following me. I knew somebody else that caught their dog by the dog following the truck. Drive the roads calling and honking, and go slow. Also, late in the evening or early in the morning is the best time when there are not other people out and about.

Archived