MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Longtime lurkers suddenly belongers

cookiejar

feedback

So, I'm curious...

I see so many of you say I lurked for a year or months and then decided to post. What makes you lurk for so long and what got you to come out and get brave and say Hi? star

I mean other than the fearthat Westie will ruffle through your pockets for chocolate? chocobun

Of course I'm happy your here and we love to learn from you as much as share what we've got...but just curious, what made you UN-lurk?

bighug

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I UNlurked (cookie's word) a year ago cuz I decided I wanted to try being on a board. I had never been and didn't even know what was a Forum/Post/Thread...etc. Didn't know nuthin' and that made me lurk to see what I could figure out before I committed some heinous error. I had to be sure that THIS place does not eat newbies for lunch....just their chocolate.... laugh Those were my hesitation reasons. My reason to join was to be able to participate in the fun and sharing and ask my questions. Since questions...esp. newbie questions.... are welcomed here. Besides, I really wanted to learn to talk with smilies..... laughkick

MtRider

I lurked here for 2 years before I started posting. I had a person savagely attack me for a question I asked (another survival site)the first time I ever posted on the internet, to the extent of following me around the site to yell at me...You don't do that here. I went in my first ever chatroom here, also.

My first post was because someone wanted a recipe for homemade cornflakes amd I had one for wheatflakes.

I was a lurker at BHM quite a while before joining them. Then I read a post there by a man that recommended this site aimed primarily for women preppers. I lurked here for just a short time before joining. I wanted to get a feel for the people here. Everyone here is so friendly and caring. Like a family should be.

......Pigz

I didn't lurk, I dove right in. However, I have a friend who is leary of message boards (for very good reasons) and she is lurking out there.

Waves to her friend!!!

Aint2nuts Friend - they're NICE here! Join up when you feel comfy...

I guess because I began feeling like a leech; I've learned SOOOO much about so many areas here thanksthat I'd like to begin returning a little something. Like they say, experience is the best teacher, and believe me, Katrina taught me quite a few lessons. Some of the smallest things that I'd never have thought about before made the biggest difference.

One of the big draws to this particular board for me personally, other than looking at emergency preparation from a woman's perspective, is that so many here approach this subject using Christian principles and are not shy about doing so. I think that's a major reason for the success of this board.

Oh, yeah...and I want to learn to : canning so when SHTFI won't be in such a...(looking for the "jam" smilie) Did I mention that poetry is NOT one of my talents?

Abigail happy02

I lurked for a while because I had been to other boards where people were downright vicious and I wasn't about to say anything. Folks here treat newbies with respect and welcome them warmly....it's why I've stayed.

Stacy

Honestly, I lurked cuz I thought that others "knew" more than I did and any input that I had would be wrong. After reading for awhile I have learned alot but I have known somethings that others asked about.

Yep, I admit it--I think I comunicate more effectively in person that via the web!

I lurked but only because I am hesitant to open up with new people. When I was ready to talk I did. I am usually hesitant to join in but this group has made me feel comfortable from the beginning.

As for Westie...my chocolate is safe, I eat it myself before anyone else can get the chance to get it from me.

Canning-cooking-sewing I know. Didn't lurk long. Just didn't know how to use the puter. Have worked for 39 yrs with out one.

And then we got one and I was scared I would crash it. Didn't even know how to send message back to get on the board had to call my DIL and she showed me how and where my browser address was. but now I can post and answer questions and love talking and reading all that is out here and I can even go to differednt sites now and not be scared I'll crash. Still don't know how to get an avitor or send pictures but maybe that will come with time.

I lurked because I had been on another site and they were not actually what they lead you to believe they were and I didn't want to get involved again with something like that. Then some one posted a question and I knew the answer but couldn't post because I wasn't a member so I joined so I could put my 2cents in. curtsey

I don't think I lurked at all.. I found the site.. Read a few forums and decided it was home at first site! That was 3 years ago in June.. SO it looks like your stuck with me!

ashamed001.gif Awww, shucks...

I figured it was the food that brought ya'll in...

28.gif27.gif29.gif30.gif

54.gif19.giflotsocoffee.gifchocolate.gifbullarsmile.gif

That's alright...

We'll settle for the lovin'...

loveshower.gif

Originally Posted By: cookiejar

feedback

I mean other than the fear that Westie will ruffle through your pockets for chocolate? chocobun

I can just as easily rifle through their pockets for wine!! wine and chocolate!!! pay the toll!!

and if you are a peep lover like 'you-know-who' ^^^^ then look out! I murder Peeps! bite their little heads off!
Originally Posted By: Leah
I lurked here for 2 years before

My first post was because someone wanted a recipe for homemade cornflakes amd I had one for wheatflakes.

WHAT??? I don't have it??? gonna pick Leah pocket for the recipe!

on the serious side Leah, I would love the recipe! I have one for grape nuts some where.. I will look for it if you don't have it.
Originally Posted By: Aint2nuts
I didn't lurk, I dove right in. However, I have a friend who is leary of message boards (for very good reasons) and she is lurking out there.

Waves to her friend!!!

get in here Aint2nuts friend!!! I need new pockets to pick! looking for chocolate or flasks! get in here!

(good thing my husband doesn't like chocolate.. more for me!)

Originally Posted By: dogmom4
I had been to other boards where people were downright vicious and I wasn't about to say anything.
Stacy

well it is a good thing you responded to my questions!!! cause I was gonna be in Monterey Next weekend (again) and it is only a couple of hours to your house! why, I might have had to come pound on your door.. "Let ME IN!!! so I can see your kitchen!"
ROFL!!!!! then I could play with your pups and give them kisses and roll on the floor with them.. all of the time eying your kitchen. Good thing you sent me the information! I am pretty good at vicious... growling and barring teeth, learned from my dogs!! oh and I can howl at the moon too!
Originally Posted By: farmgal
Honestly, I lurked cuz I thought that others "knew" more than I did and any input that I had would be wrong.

If you were to call me and ask me a question... I may have 5 different answers to the same question. There is no 1 right way to do something. Several things have to be taken into consideration.. climate for one, culture is another. An example is I live in a desert.. if it doesn't get water.. it will NOT grow! yet there are those that live in a very wet environment and stuff grows like magic. So how I would answer a question about growing would take into consideration the environment they live in.

Culture is another. I am in California.. grits is not something we eat here. Hashbrowns yes, but both are not offered. Yet when I am in the South, grits are the mainstay of most every breakfast. Another is when I am in the South I order Ice Tea.. I can't drink it!! it is sweet! I realize that everyone drinks it that way, and I don't think people realize just how sweet it is.. syrup like.. I am a tea drinker.. no sugar. So there are come cultural differences.

This means that there are several answers to each question.. offer yours.. while it may not work for me (and I always learn something new), it may be just what another needs.

to add to this.. I use soap and water on my cast iron pans. when I am done rinsing.. I put my pan on the stove turn it on low.. this evaporates all the moisture off and I pour a bit of oil in the pan, using a paper towel to wipe the oil around so I am constantly seasoning my pan. Ninety-Nine percent of the people will tell you NEVER NEVER NEVER use soap. I do.. works for me.
Originally Posted By: Deb2of9
As for Westie...my chocolate is safe, I eat it myself before anyone else can get the chance to get it from me.

just wait until I find out where you stash it! follow you out of the store.. "your chocolate or your life!"

Well westie...I woulda barked right back atcha... grin And guess what? I use soap on my cast iron too...Didn't want to admit it before because people get testy about doing things the "right" way... nothing like coming out of the kitchen to make you come clean..... dishes

Stacy

I use soap on my iron skill also. And Westie I do actually what you do, wash it put on the stove top and let it dry. That is the way my mom did it and my grandmother except she would put hers in the wood stove. Never had one crack. As a matter of fact I almost brought my mothers iron skillets back with me but I didn't have room in my luggage (only had a hang up bag with me) and thought I would have a hard time getting through security if I tried carrying them on. Mom has arthritis in her shoulders and can not lift the skillets anymore so they are just sitting there.

Archived