MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Longtime lurkers suddenly belongers

cookiejar

Notice a trend here? Many of us were burned on other sites, and leery of posting on the 'net as a result. HERE we feel safe!

Westbrook, here is the recipe for flake cereal as I copied it from the Dollar Stretcher site...(You can make it into cornflakes, but it must be very thin)Oh! Don't try using honey, it just re-absorbs the moisture...

Flake Cereal Recipe

# 2 Cups whole wheat flour

# 1tsp. salt

# 2C. water

# 1/2C brown sugar

Mix ingredients with a spoon until the consistency of thin paint. Pour onto a greased baking sheet. Tip the sheet to cover the surface with a film, pouring the excess back into the bowl. Bake 350 degrees about 15 min. until crisp and golden. Pull off sheet and let cool before breaking into flakes.

I have found if you use a non-stick cookie tray it works great. Just when you think you have poured off too much of the batter back into the tray is when to stop. I use these as garnishes on ice cream and also on scrambled eggs served to company, just don't make flakes just break into interesting designs.

--

Hope you like it, I use all kinds of flours.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: westbrook
to add to this.. I use soap and water on my cast iron pans. when I am done rinsing.. I put my pan on the stove turn it on low.. this evaporates all the moisture off and I pour a bit of oil in the pan, using a paper towel to wipe the oil around so I am constantly seasoning my pan. Ninety-Nine percent of the people will tell you NEVER NEVER NEVER use soap. I do.. works for me.

Yes!!!!!!!! This is exactly how I do it as well.. But a warning to everyone.. Don't put your newly washed skillet on a hot burner! You have to heat it gradually or you take a chance of it cracking.. Trust me on this one..

I have 3 skillets that have been washed that way for over 50 yrs.

Thats the way my grandmother and mother did it and I still do it also. My kids now do the same cleaning method on the cast iron and are requesting cast iron for presents now.LOL

There are times you just HAVE to use soap on cast iron. I guess we haven't made that clear. shrug

If YOU don't feel safe with just wiping it down (like after cooking eggs and they've stuck a bit) by all means, use the soap and scrub it. Just dry it thoroughly and re-oil it.

Pay no attention to that woman grabbing all the chocolate... **Cat hands Westie a bottle of homemade strawberry wine**... just pass it this way and we'll all be happy. bouquet

bighug

I also use soap and water and dry them on the stove. I admit I am bad about remembering to oil them. I only do that every few times.

Westie...maybe just for you I will leave some chocolate untouched, but you have to be quicker than my daughter. Why do you think I have to eat it so fast. She loves it more than me!!!

hey! you are not supposed to agree with me about the cast iron! I was trying to show it is ok to have a different opinion!

sheesh!

for those that are still watching.. it is ok. I know there is a lady out there watching and laughing at us... and it is ok, cause you are still here watching! I don't even mind if you use us to laugh at at family and friends houses. I don't mind you pointing a finger and calling us names like stupid and idiots... cause the more you talk about us to others.. the more come here and take a look.. and know what? some stay!

With names like red riding hood and little miss muffet you have no idea these are your friends.

I am always excited to meet others interested in the same things as I am. I love those that come here and ask a question.. "I am concerned where do I start?" sure the question has been asked ten thousand times.. and each time it is asked it means another will be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

That one question may help those sitting behind the scenes not able to ask it themselves, new people that have been burned else where.

The more people that respond the more answers are offered and even after the same question is asked ten thousand times, I still learn something new. So thank you and do not worry if the question has been asked before.

Cookie, to answer your question... you have met me.. you see I am not the lurker type, I jump in with both feet.

I lurked here for a few weeks just for the information!! I was trying to catch up on as many back posts as possible so that I didn't repeat TOO many questions and tick people off!! Then I realized how many questions were actually repeated, and people reference you back to the old posts and then add info on without getting mad!! So I decided to just start asking!! I still go back and check old posts, too, because the info is amazing!!

**westie**- gasp!! You don't like sweetenend Iced Tea? What a nut!! I like a little tea with my sugar!! Hahaha neener

Just teasing!! DH is trying to switch to unsweetenend Iced Tea to reduce his sugar intake. I don't put sugar in my hot herbal teas!!

Well, I'm a "longtime lurker" who has finally gotten the courage to step up and be noticed. What got me to join in instead of just watching? You all are just so welcoming and seemed to have so much fun!! Who wouldn't want to hang out here? I started lurking because you all have so much great info and decided to stay after I read the thread "Honest Urban" started by cookiejar about a year ago, I guess and the thread by Abigail about lessons learned from Katrina. I want to learn and play, too!

As for the tea issue, I was raised by Southern women: gotta have sweet tea!! But westbrook, I do share my chocolate, lol!

Well I was born in the south and now live in the south once again and drink my tea without sugar. Go figure...lol

I heard about this site from another message board and came over and never left...joined the same day and bought it 7 months later.

Actually, it if hadn't of been for Cat, none of that probably woulda ever happened. I was in a chat one night and everyone was talking about all their country magazines and asked me what I read. I said Bon Appetit and Better Homes and Garden and was met with silence lol. I got bumped outta the chat and couldn't get back in and felt embarassed anyway. SOMEHOW Cat found me and sent me an email that asked if I was the Darlene that had been in the chat, and invited me back to MrsS.

The rest is history.

ThatCAT is so nice.

rofl I was reading how Darlene was bumb out of chat and was going to reply and couldn't find reply and thought well I've been bumb off to and then saw I hadn't logged in. Maybe I need to go to bed and and start over tomorrow. loveplace

Mary

Originally Posted By: crazycatlady

But westbrook, I do share my chocolate, lol!

yeah! see.. somebody is willing to share!

rifles through crazycatladies pockets looking for more!

How funny you mentioned honest Urban, we resurrected it in Urban Homstead where you can read how completely clueless I am and that Darlene has a canning addiction. grin

woohoo

I love giving the boss a hard time, living on the edge! Well, as long as I am a couple of hundred miles away laugh

Here's more, here's more!

I have been around here since 2001 and never posted.. I had my siggy made when I was 41, I guess I need to change my siggy now to WV_angel47 instead of 41. I usually came in here and was so caught up by the good Information, I was so busy takeing it all in, I never really had much to say. But as each day passes and the world gets a little more crazy and unstable, I am finding there is alot more to talk about. I love this forum and appreciate each of you. Have a great evening, I will post again soon.

Archived