MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

List for get-together 2008

Cat

I figured maybe we should start thinking ahead. happy02

THINGS TO DO:

*Go to drive-in movie (one of three left in the state, as posted elsewhere wink )

*Apple Festival?

THINGS TO BRING:

*Apron (maybe hold a contest for biggest, fanciest, most useful?? - provided Darlene and Westie don't run off with ALL the prizes! shrug )

*Favorite campfire song - be ready to teach it!

OTHER IDEAS??? please

bighug

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Freebird
There's whitewater rafting nearby where the Atlanta Olympics held their kayaking events. Class IV rapids.

http://www.ocoeerafting.com/

I can personally vouch for the Ocoee River... I have been down it several times and it is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! yahoo

Won't be too far from Helen, GA and they will be having Octoberfest. Great little German tourist town (can be quit expensive but it is neat place to visit)

FB got any Maize maes around there?

COOKOFF!!!!

Apple Festival?

Hmmmmmmm....could this be a way for Dar to trick everyone into coming and picking, peeling, coring and slicing umpteen-bazillion pounds of apples for her to can????? rofl

Dar-better work on getting that big ol' stove. S'pose some will be expecting some canning lessons. grin

Bring your jars and lids!! Take home souvenirs from '1st Annual MrsS Gathering': HOME CANNED APPLES, APPLESAUCE AND APPLE BUTTER!! yumyum

grin

Originally Posted By: Necie
Apple Festival?

Hmmmmmmm....could this be a way for Dar to trick everyone into coming and picking, peeling, coring and slicing umpteen-bazillion pounds of apples for her to can????? rofl

SMACK...would you just shaddup already? geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez...some people have BIG mouths.

DarleneSwoon

As far as things to do, don't forget about the 1st annual Freechirp/Darlene POTATO salad contest.

I wonder how graceful Freechirp looses?

barn raising, watching darlene butcher dinner, I will not be participating in any cookoff.. I am in the eatup group! do I need to bring my apple peeler/corer?

things I will be doing... sitting on the porch watching a barn being built.. watching you ladies fish from Darlene's pond (no fish in it but hey, ya all can still give lessons.... tee hee hee), reaching down from time to time and petting dogs, napping, and that is only the first couple of days.

Originally Posted By: mommato3boys

FB got any Maize maes around there?

There was a guy down the road a piece who had a maze for years and years. But he stopped last year. Too many city folks were getting lost and the liability insurance was getting prohibitive.

How about craft/skill demonstrations/casual lectures from those proficient in a particular field? (canning, butchering, gardening, assorted needlework, herbal medicine, first aid, etc)

And what about some sort of "Turkey Shoot" or whatever you call a firearm contest?

A wilderness survival field (day) trip?

I'm up for lots of :gathering: and feedme

HSmom, you have the right idea! Sort of like the renesiensse(sp) fairs or rendevous of frontier times? I am not suggesting that we set up booths or any thing but a little competition and sharing of ideas, willingness to teach, I think it would be wonderful. You are talking about making Mrs.Survival coming alive in front of your eyes! All the things we do here but IRL! clapsmilieshrug

DARLENE.....are you there? What do you think? feedbackprettyplease

Actually, I think it's a perfect idea! We all have some unique gifts and skills that could benefit each other, and I don't know about you, but I just love teaching and helping others in the areas I know well.

Like with the canning, with the 2 kitchens we could have 2 (or even more areas with a propane tank set up) where we could do different types of canning, i.e. meats, veggies, fruits, etc. Lord knows, Mother knows how to take a blade of grass and turn it into a gourmet meal and westie? Well it appears her expertise lies in rolling family members down mountains ROFLMAO (just kidding lolol)

Anyway, the point is, people that know they'll be definitely coming, if they're willing, could plan on taking a little time one day to give us some hands on teaching about that particular area.

I have 2 lawnmowers (one needs a new blade so we could get one of the guys to do a lesson in mechanics 101 lol)...I could teach mountain lawnmowing!

darlene

I would love to watch & learn how to can meats! I have a heavy duty propane burner that I can bring.

I can teach dutch oven cooking (I have 5 d/o which I can bring with me) or kayaking (I'm certified with American Canoe Assn. ("ACA") as a flatwater canoe & kayak instructor) if there is a body of water nearby, I have acouple of kayaks I can throw in the back of the truck.

Is there a way to subscribe to this thread? Anne

This all sounds like it will be so much fun...and we get to learn new things as well. Not so sure about the Kayaking....I don't exactly swim...okay I can barely keep myself afloat if I don't let water get in my ears, eyes, nose, or mouth..which seems to make me instanlty panic and sink. I am afraid I am so new to this, that I don't have many skills to share. Not even sure if I will be able to go then, since I am putting all my effort into trying to buy a home right now. That is a year away...and I have a good car to get me there. So may be I can make it. It is just too soon to be sure. I can knit, crochet and as a nurse, i know a little bit about first aide...those are also all useful skills. Just the important basic ones like cooking over a fire or getting that fire lit have me completely stumped right now.

MtRider making a list of 'classes' she wants to sign up for....

-knit a sock [i always have holey sox!] knit

-canning [ABSOLUTELY - but Sherman has to stay home...he's too heavy.] canning

-dutch oven cooking ["Aunt Pearl's Bean Pot" also too heavy to bring] feedme

-turkey shoot [sure] gun2

-dog training [no dog smilie] sheep

-butcher somethin' [ some of them turkeys we shoot?] duck

-campfire songs [ I*DON'T*THINK*SO!! Talk? yes Sing? no ] MtR singing--> hit

-herbal & wildcrafting stuff [definitely!] lois

-potato salad taste-testing [and stand waaay back.... in case the looser gets cranky..... cuz folks from here like food fights! ] yumyum

-fishing [i am sooo lousy at fishing] helpfishing

-whitewater rafting [at least I'd be cool enough! ] woohoo

List (MtR LOVES lists) of thing to teach:

-Snowball making mecry ...I forgot....no snow in GA

-Crik wading :jumping2:

-Bear/Mt lion avoidance sofa

-How to make veggies out of Rocky Mt gravel...in 60 frost-free days or less frozen

-Kayaking ....LOVE kayaking.....taught sea kayaking but have never been on a river tho. yahoo

-Martial arts-type self-defense moves? running

-Adaptions for Disability [oh yeah! Got a PhD in THAT one!] twister

-How to stay on the top side of the horse beathorse [this is NOT it! poooor horsie! ]

MtRider [Hmmmmm..... are we stayin' a week or movin' in for a semester????? laughkick ]

Darlene, What type of grass do you have there? Do I have to brng my own????

((( )))

OKAY! now to address the issues.....

Freebird....does that mean we can have as much as we want as long as we have the glass jars?

MtRider.....I will willingly and gladly teach you to knit socks. And maybe I will have a pair of my own by then. Everyone keeps stealing mine mecry I have made three pairs of socks that started out for me and they all gone mecry Everyone loves me socks!

Now I remember seeing someone say something about dutch oven cooking? I'M IN!

Love to canoe. Shoot...yep. Martial art--type defense....yep. This just keeps sounding better and better. I cannot wait!!

I just realized I better list accomplishments or what I can show others.

crocheting

knitting

tatting w/needle

use of knitting nancy and how to make one

sewing and adapting patterns

texture look painting (walls and floors)

embrordery

needle point

crewel

rug making (latch hook, crocheting, braiding)

I cook

fire building

cooking on open fire(very simple things)

oh well...Just ask me I probably know how.

Originally Posted By: Nett

use of knitting nancy and how to make one

Okay, I knit....can't really make socks...socks and mittens come out with holes when I try. I am still practicing them. Just what is a knitting nancy? I have never heard of one of those, or if I have it was called something else.

dog training is a good one. My daughter wants us to get a sheperd mix dog (or other large dog.) I am not so sure, because you know who will probalby have to care for it. I can just picture her moving away from home and her saying "but Mom...he likes it here and my apartment won't let us take him. You will watch him for me until I get a place I can keep him, won't you?"....fast forward several years...poor old dog and poor old mom limping along together...and mom still has the dog.

I have never managed to train a dog. I have enough trouble with housebreaking them. I need help in this area if I am going to be stuck with a big dog that I can't control. So I definately would love dog training. Of course I could get my newphew to teach me if he is in the area. As he is a career army man, he isn't likely to be around to teach me. It works on kids to. He can get his two year old to sit, heal, speak and even attack on command. It is so cute. She copies him working with the dog and pretends she is the dog.

Archived