MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

poverty cooking

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Had a tasty supper last night and left-overs tonight:

In 81/2 x 11 bake pan I emptied a bag of mixed vegetables (medley of carrots, cauliflower & broccoli) and drizzled with olive oil. Baked until soft.

Added 1 small can of cream of celery soup & 1/2 can of water

Mix well

Add white rice (1 cup of rice to 1 3/4 c. water...boiled til done) approximately 2 cups when done.

Sprinkled with garlic powder & onion powder

Sprinkled with kosher salt & course pepper

Sprinkled with corn meal

Sprinkled with shredded mild cheddar cheese

Broil until cheese browns

Pumpkin Muffins (Philbe's way):

1 box spice mix

1 15oz can of real pumpkin (NOT the pie mixture!)

1 small package of butterscotch morsels

Mix ALL in a large bowl...the dough will be very stiff, so I use a wooden spoon...until it's well mixed.

Drop into muffin tin (or just muffin foil liners) by tablespoon (should make about 15+)

Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean in each one)

Mountain Man absolutely loves them.

• 1 month later...

I just saw this on another site:

It is called Bannock.

1 cup flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/4 cup water

Mix together into a batter. May need a little more or less water. Fry in skillet with a little oil like pancakes. Will not brown as much as pancakes. Serve with butter and jam or jelly. Can also serve with syrup. Tastes pretty good!

You can add less flour and make it into a heavy biscuit like dough that can be kneaded (not too much though), flattened and fried in a little more oil until golden brown.

Edited by Staceyy

Bean Patties

Take any leftover beans and mash with a fork. Add enough flour to bind. Shape into patties and fry both sides in butter or oil. This is good for breakfast or dinner in place of potatoes. It can be served on a bun with mayo or catsup for lunch.

I've made Bannock bread alot...LOL But sometimes, instead of making one large loaf, I make several very small "rounds" and we eat them like biscuits. The only thing different is I also add baking soda, because I like mine fluffier. I think I even may have posted the recipe around here someplace on Mrs. S.

Edited by Philbe
  • 2 weeks later...

One of my "food stretchers" is using a CAN of cheddar soup. I've only found it by Campbell's but it's so worth it. I keep several cans in my can organizer labeled "misc. soups". That's where I keep the cheddar, cream of chicken, cream of broccoli, cream of celery and cream of mushroom soups that I use sometimes as a thickening agent or on my pasta's etc.

Had one of my "kitchen sink" pizza's for supper tonight...I use just about everything I have that's a left over. Had some pepperoni, added some breakfast sausage, had some broccoli, some frozen onions, some mushrooms, some green bell peppers, some shoots, some water chestnuts, added some cheddar cheese & parmesan cheese (didn't have any mozerella) and made my own pizza dough from my "simple white" bread recipe. Each of us are as full as ticks and there's another big slice left for Mtn.Man's lunch tomorrow.

Edited by Philbe

Creamed chicken!

Cook a chicken in the crockpot with onions and garlic, saving & straining the broth.

Shred the chicken and heat up the broth in a pot on the stove. Dump the chicken in it, then let it all heat until bubbly. Add your starch mixed with water and let it bubble for a few minutes. Decide if you want it thicker, and if you do, add more starch in water. If you don't, ladle it over mashed potatoes and dig in.

Note: We use arrowroot starch. It doesn't make the broth more opaque as some other starches do. This dish has been dubbed "chicken snot" in our house.

I'll have to add it to my collection of cheap recipes - chicken snot indeed! Love the name! I'd like to thank all the ladies from Mrs. S for posting cheap recipes. I'm making a collection of the very cheapest for my cousin-in-law's wedding...titling it "the budget is in the crapper again cookbook". I have mixed emotions - sometimes I think she will appreciate it (I know I would have) and other times I think I'm being over-protective and she probably has her own recipes. But then again, I didn't in my 20s....Oh well, I'm having fun with it. I found quite a few from WW2 rationing days, the great depression, some concentration camp recipes, and other porverty recipes that are quite creative. They are all geared, however, to eating for under $1 a day per person. I'm amazed at how cheap you can still eat well. (She is also getting an electric skillet and a set of stainless steel bowls, just in case she doesn't care for the recipes.) What do you ladies think....am I a hero or a zero for this recipe thing? Do newlyweds even care about such things nowdays?

My taco recipe;

1/2 lb hamberger

1 tsp onion pwd

1 tsp garlic pwd

1 tsp mexican oregano

1 tsp cumin pwd

1 tbs tomato bullion

1 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp chili pwd

1/2 cup of water

Optional: a dash or two of cayenne

Combine and cook until water is gone. Spoon into taco shells, add lettuce, tomato and cheese and anything else you like on your tacos.

~~~~~~~~

DH likes it. He says it tastes as good as store bought.

I'll have to add it to my collection of cheap recipes - chicken snot indeed! Love the name! I'd like to thank all the ladies from Mrs. S for posting cheap recipes. I'm making a collection of the very cheapest for my cousin-in-law's wedding...titling it "the budget is in the crapper again cookbook". I have mixed emotions - sometimes I think she will appreciate it (I know I would have) and other times I think I'm being over-protective and she probably has her own recipes. But then again, I didn't in my 20s....Oh well, I'm having fun with it. I found quite a few from WW2 rationing days, the great depression, some concentration camp recipes, and other porverty recipes that are quite creative. They are all geared, however, to eating for under $1 a day per person. I'm amazed at how cheap you can still eat well. (She is also getting an electric skillet and a set of stainless steel bowls, just in case she doesn't care for the recipes.) What do you ladies think....am I a hero or a zero for this recipe thing? Do newlyweds even care about such things nowdays?

I would think she'd love it! Might take some padding and some glue to make a pretty "cover" for it and tie it up with a pretty ribbon and stick it inside the bowls with a couple of hand made pot grabbers? Just to let her know you took alot of interest and time in pleasing her"???

Philbe, I never thought about decorating it...that's a great idea! I'll have to get to Wally and find some pretty fabric to dress up that bland 3-ring binder. 'Archy how many tacos you get out of that recipe? - the whole thing comes out to about $1.80 in Wisconsin prices - estimating 2 oz beef per taco, that would make 4 of the; if you make the tacos in my recipes it comes to about 4 cents per, so that would be $1.96 or around 49 cents apiece, depending on go-withs, of course. Less if the meat was on sale. It sure looks tasty!

Kappydell, we use a teaspoon worth up to a tablespoon of meat per taco. Ususally, we get 14 or more tacos. Oh, most of the time I only use 1/2 tsp of most of the spices for the 1/2 lb of hmb. especially if I'm running low and need to make more. :Blushing: