MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Too many privates

Homesteader

First of all ... welcome HennyPenny. It's nice to chat with folks that take genealogy seriously. woohoo

My question is for anyone. I've just run into an ancestral family who are using a lot of 'private' in lieu of birth dates and marriage dates. I can understand a few out-of-wedlock secrets but this appears different.

Would you give me some reasons why these dates would remain 'private', long after they're dead? DarleneSwoon

How long would you estimate that these people may have been dead? The person submitting the tree may have chosen to mark anybody born after a certain date as private. Or the database in which the tree is found may have certain standards as far as dates. I believe that some programs assume any person without a death date is living, and mark those persons "private" or "living".

Your best bet is probably to get in contact with the submitter to see if you can get more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry rootdiggr, was entertaining this week with out of town couple.

When I went back to look at the dates, most of them would have died in the late 1990's or early 2000's (unless they lived to be over 100 y.o.) happy02

Me thinks the 'private' wasn't removed even though these people have died. I know I get into genealogy in spurts and then lay it down.

I will contact the submitter and see if I can dig up some more bones. Thanks for your help. darlenedance

Archived