MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My very best bean/hamburger/tomato stuff

mom11

I found this on the Canning2 forum at Yahoo. It wasn't full of details, so made some up, such as spices etc.

1/2 cup dried pinto beans...I didn't soak

1 & 1/2 cup, cooked ground beef...Sure any meat would be fine

1/4 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped tomato

1 tab. tomato paste

spices

seasonings

water

I layered the ingredients and added 1 tsp. of taco seasoning and 1 tsp. of canning salt.

I covered it all with boiling water and left 1 inch of head space. I PC it for 90 mins. I did all quarts.

I used taco seasoning I bought at the Amish store. It didn't list flour or any other thicker, on the ingredients, so think it was OK...Maybe it was in scientific jargon, but.....

I think this would also be good with molasses in it or a variety of other spices. I think it would be good wrapped into a flour tortilla, in taco shells,in a taco salad, over corn bread, or Indian Fry Bread.

I didn't taste any, they all sealed...Well the second time, but they look good. I had 3 seal failures, maybe cuz I left the dang jars, in the dang canner all night long, but I re-did them this morning. I did check the beans and they were very soft. I also ran out of fresh tomatoes and used diced Aldi's tomatoes and the jars look just as yummy. 725 lbs. of tomatoes and I am all out...How pitiful is that? Anyway..I am going to make more and just gonna use the canned tomatoes. I also browned 18 lbs. of hamburger. I used, all but 3 cups in the beans and ended up with 21 quarts...One jar broke in the canner.

Hope you like this HSmom, as much as we LOVE your spaghetti sauce!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry HSmom,

I didn't see this...

Yes...We have. I added one small can of tomato paste to a quart, heated it in the microwave and used it over nacho chips. I first put on a layer of shredded cheddar cheese, then poured on the sauce. We put sour cream on top, after it is heated. My chicks love it!

I don't know about ME! I make all this food, all the time...I really don't care about eating it. My friends can't believe I don't taste, while I am cooking. I guess I am weird!...We already know that! I would rather have a tall glass of Sonic ice, with Diet Caffeine Free Pepsi, than ever eat dinner. It's a lot fast, cooler too! Unfortunately, my chicks don't appreciate my own dietary choices!

I did make a double batch of the marinara, with meat, posted on Canning USA. I gave 2 jars, to each of two friends, so I am sure I will get a report soon...One being male, the jars probably evaporated on the way home! I'll let you know! It is full of carrots, peppers, and onions.

• 7 months later...

Archived