MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Who's boycotting MIC items?

ArmyOfFive4God

I worry about all the plastic in our house, but I've always worried about it, even before all the recalls. So many of the ingredients are potential hormone disrupters and neurotoxins. I am struck by the number of women I talk to who either had trouble conceiving or have an autism spectrum child. I feel strongly that the chemical soup we live in has something to do with it.

I also resent, big time, having to cart broken things to the dump dump dump. Not only does it take up my time, the place is stinky and I worry about all those chemicals getting into my water supply or that of my descendants.

So I've been making a strong effort to boycott cr*p, of all sorts. It's easy because I really only have money to buy food and gas right now, but when I go out to buy pants next week, they'll be from the Goodwill. That way I know that they've made it through some one else's washing machine, at least.

But, I know that some plastic is essential to my current life. As some stuff made in China probably is too. I am not ready to give up my computer or my vacuum cleaner.

And as final thought, I just can't believe China (or any large group of people) is organized enough to deliberately mess with the health of the American people. But, I do believe all sort of individuals are greedy and careless enough to have this effect, both US and Chinese.

And then we're all excited to get a great price on a flashlight.

And the poor Chinese. Their country is real toxic waste dump.

And while I'm at it, I'd like to encourage all of you to boycott trans fats and corn syrup. If you give up corn syrup, I promise you that you will start losing those extra pounds. But, there's a catch. It's really hard to find processed food without high fructose corn syrup.

(sigh) I was working on a reply that expounded on the outsourcing of America, job losses, subsidized imported steel etc and my NOT so Darling Daughter started clicking... post is gone...

Westie, you are very correct regarding imported steel. We live in the rust belt and my husband hauls steel for a living. Its not just a MIC thing, as my husband actually hauled a coil last week that came from the UKRAINE!! (I dont get out much, but werent they a nearly 3rd world country at one point?)

MIC is a hot topic right now due to the toy recalls but IMO the bigger picture is the outsourcing of good old American jobs in EVERY sector. With the elections coming, perhaps letting your opinion be know on MIC, outsourcing and living wage employment so more people can afford quality non disposable MIC crap?

As a parent, thanks to all that have posted safer alternatives. Keep em coming!

> still thinking... Europe is the largest importer of Chinese goods, America doesn't even come close. If China wanted to bury America they could.. and now that the Yangse river has been damed up, the gobi desert will be fertile... America has to make room for more housing and will be dependent on other countries to grow their food. China is planning on becoming a major grower in the gobi desert.... if America can't grow enough food to feed the increasing population then America will have to import food from.... China! hummmm

Westie you agree that America is in the same shape the South was during the civil war, correct? I will do my best to support my country by buying as much as I can that is American made. I do acknowledge the fact a complete ban is not likely at this moment but I can do what I can to try and bring back things to the USA. I am not calling you names but I feel like we must agree to disagree on a couple of points here. Your insight and comments are founded. I will not deny that you have made good points in your conversation. But I feel I need to let you know that I disagree with some of your personal opinions and leave it at that. I do not wish to attack you. Thank you for your well thought out points. I must figure these in as well.

Great links, folks! We've been avoiding MIC products for awhile, but we've agreed, in light of recent poisonings, that we will increase our efforts. Westie is right that some (not all) products will have MIC components that we cannot avoid, for awhile. But unlike Westie I do not personally want to gloat that child labor or slave labor are good things. Nor will I willingly buy things which might poison or kill a grandchild.

Originally Posted By: ArmyOfFive4God
And thankfully you are SO FAR the only one of 2 on some of the brds I've posted this on that has decided not to go non-MIC. Thank God I'm not seeing that attitude all over. If you want to help the US go to hell in a handbasket, that's absolutely your right. Likewise, boycotting MIC is mine.

That right there is why you don't see that attitude all over. Most people who aren't doing this keep their mouths shut because they know that they'll immediately be accused of being un-American commie heathens.

IMHO, this is getting way too close to being politics. If you want to boycott China because of safety issues, fine. However, please don't insult people who don't follow your politics.
Originally Posted By: TheCG

IMHO, this is getting way too close to being politics. If you want to boycott China because of safety issues, fine. However, please don't insult people who don't follow your politics.

If you read my entire disagreeing post, you'll see I complimented her on her smarts. And if you read hers you'll see that she told me we weren't able to do it. Telling me we (Americans) are trying to do the "impossible." As if we're incapable?

And as a last note, I also said that I'd agree to disagree & after west kept posting, I have chosen to keep my mouth shut on some of the arguments she's brought up, that I have my own beliefs on. If I were attacking her, believe me, I could keep going. But I'm not. I do love West. She is an integral part of this board and she is a VERY smart woman.

Nett - I have no idea what you're seeing, but it looks the same to me.

Ao54G - I did read the whole post. Complimenting someone does not mean that you didn't insult them elsewhere in the same post. I think I'd better follow westie's lead (you're right, she is smart) and stay out of this thread.

As a family we do our best to buy American made products. We do as much of our shopping as we can locally.

We are firm believers in supporting our community, and our Country. I don't see it so much as boycotting other countries products, I see it as supporting American Made Products.

es

CG, didn't there used to be a pic in your siggie?

elijah sue, I like the way you put it. I do my best to promote America as well. It is just that now my efforts will be more concentrated. And with all the helpful sites these ladies have provided it will be much easier.

CG, I hope you do not avoid this. I really do appreciate your insight into these topics.

• 6 months later...

The collapse of shoddily built school buildings in China, during the recent earthquake there, pointed up to me once again that China has no concerns for quality control, whether for export items or those things it creates right at home. They have an ethic of graft and shoddy workmanship. It shows up in the shoddy merchandise they export for sale in the US, and in their cutting corners on the cements used in building schools for their children. I've continued to be careful about avoiding anything MIC, and this only strengthens my resolve to buy things made ANYWHERE but China. I've been finding more things Made in the USA too, which is heartening.

It's important to also remember what got us in this jam to begin with.

We (as a nation) always look for a bargain and that's what Chinese products have always offered. We didn't stop to ask "Why" was something so inexpensive (read "cheap") we just snatched up more and more of what was the least expensive on the shelf.

We ignored for years the pleas of companies and their workers to "buy American" and slowly those companies moved their operations overseas to where it cost a lot less to do business.

Arguments heard by those of us who continued to buy foreign items were rebuffed with the line of thought that hey, I can buy wherever I want to, that's free enterprise baby!

Free enterprise is a good thing but I've learned that buying cheaper is not always supporting the better company nor is it supportive of free enterprise.

Level The Playing Field: It is not fair nor competitive to support the company that paid a tiny fraction in labor compared to what an American company pays. If your choice of product is between two companies that paid a living wage and health insurance then you are choosing in a level playing field. Picking between supporting an American family with an American cost of living versus supporting the Chinese government at a greatly reduced cost is NOT free enterprise, fair trade, nor a level playing field.

Westie I respect and admire what you have to say as I find you to be extremely smart and full of great experience; but I must respectfully disagree about the use of child labor. Yes, America was built on child labor, it was also built on slave labor, and other unsavory things such as segregation and dangerous sweat shops. That didn't make it a wise practice.

We don't burn witches at the stake anymore either. We learn and improve as we go.

Just like I don't support the notion of reparation for the ancestors of slaves, I don't support the notion of the use of children because we (the United States) used to do it too.

That was then, this is now.

If I am misunderstanding your point of view I whole heartedly appologise; it is not my intent to flame nor take to task. I do relish a good debate and when given the chance I jump right in.

The last thing we need around here are bruised feelings!

We are all on the same side and in the same boat, I look forward to everyone's posts as I learn from it everyday. I love you guys!

Archived