MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ice Storm

OldMaineBear

Let's all have good thoughts for our friends caught in that ice storm in the middle of the country. Having been through one I hope everybody is well. Let's hope they are all sitting warm and well fed using their emergency preps and skills. Lot's of power outages out there so we may not hear from some of them for a while, but keep those thoughts going their way. They'll hear them. They know how close we all are here.

I'd like to say thank you in advance. We are supposed to get up to one inch of ice starting tonight and going all the way through until wednesday night.

DH is getting in extra wood and he has the 12 volt fan and battery ready for use on the wood furnace. Animals are all bedded heavy, lots of water stored and a spring nearby if needed. THIS time I have the lanterns ready and hopefully, we will have no problems.

It will mean a lot to me to know that you are all thinking of me and all the rest of the people in the midwest who are going to get blasted with this.

Buttercup, Cowgirl, Dee, Snowmom, will you be getting it? Who else is out there? I'll be thinking of you all.

(((( ))))

Do all ya'll have those pull-on shoe/boot thingies that help grip the ice better?

For ice storms, I have crabbed around on the ice with the help of a hefty walking staff with a chisel point carved into the bottom. It used to be a hickory sapling that I had to whack down when I cleared another garden spot some years ago...That homemade staff has saved my bones from breaking on the ice many times.

Heh. Dressed in my heaviest winter clothing 'finery', and staff in hand, long hair blowing in the wind...I must look like a cavewoman...LOL!! LOL!!! I don't care, 'cause I'm warm...and my bones are still intact.

Keep safe!

Thinking of all of you that might get hit with this storm. I also listened to the news this morning and thought that those who prep won't have much problems with this if they can just stay home. ( I know some may have to get out no matter what. Emergency services don't stop being needed in bad weather, they are needed more.) I thought also this is just another reminder that we need to prep. Believe me I use all of these little incidents to encourage family and friends to prepare. The news said that some areas are already expected to be without power for 10 days. If you aren't prepared, that would hurt a lot. Where I am that would cause trouble with heat, because that is one prep I don't have, a separate heat source.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Stay safe and as warm as you can.

Deb, I just looked at the news, heard same things you did. I am praying that our friends there are fine and their preps stand them in good stead.

We all have weaknesses in our preps and things like this are a good reminder to keep working toward cilling them. In our case, it is water....or alternative power to the well. So we are saving up for the bucks to do this. We may be able to do it in the spring, but trust me, it has taken a long time to get to the point of "almost" because we are the sort who won't go into huge debt for things, even preps.

Keeping all of you out there in the ice in my prayers and thoughts too...we are expecting ice pellets this evening here, but nothing on the scale that the folks out there are enduring.

Thinking of and praying for all of those who live in path of the ice. Hoping that their preps are sufficient. And that we can all learn from these experiences.

We do not get ice very often here, we don't even get below freezing for long stretches. But I do need to prep a little better for that kind of cold. It has happened here before, and certainly will again. So I need to up my preps in that area.

frozen

My BiL is in OKC and they expect power OFF for the next 10 days. His house is all electric and for years he and his wife have laughed at DH and his 'preps'. Who's laughing now? (We aren't but y'all understand.)

The reality check here: crews from all over Texas and the SW will be heading up to this region to help and still power may not be restored for up to 10 days. This is a perfect example of what we've been talking about here - even the '3 day' emergency supply stores won't be enough if the power is out for 10 days.

My mom and twins got a brief taste of this last Feb in Austin, when the power was out there for 12 hours in 28 degree weather.

For all Mrs.S folks in OK and this region, our prayers are with you. What you will learn from this will be invaluable.

God bless

praying

Thanks for the thoughts, Mother! I posted about our ice situation up on the porch. We've come through it pretty well. Hope all has been going OK where you are! bighug

well we got ice but it wasn't as bad as the one in January. We lost our power , but we had preps, water, food, for us and the animals, kerosene for heaters , and for the lanterns in the barn and sheds when we do the chores.

Also had lamp oil for the lamps in the house

We have some weather approaching but maybe it will miss up tonight but snow is forcast for Friday night and Saturday but better snow then ice,

Lauraleah in Missouri

We did pretty well here too. No loss of power but lots of ice. Still have ice out there, now with a dusting of snow on top but at least the roads are almost back to normal.

More storm coming this weekend but not supposed to be too bad. I feel sorry for those out east and pray they are going to be okay. The weather has been a force to handle already and it's not officially winter yet. This could be a long winter.

((((Everyone))))

We're north of all the ice here in Iowa. Thank God we didn't have to fight a mess like that because DH and I have been down with the flu. We were sick, I mean sick!, for 3 days. Today is the 4th and we're beginning to feel like we might live afterall.

I can't imagine how we'd have managed this time of year with no electricity and so sick. Something that had entered our minds previously but I still don't know what we'd have done. I simply shudder thinking about how close it came to happening!!!

Take care of yourselves you that are in the northeast and everywhere else. bighug

We are readying for the storm here today expected to dump 7 inches in our area. By readying...I mean... finishing laundry and vacuuming and baking...things that you can't do without power. (I've left the laundry that's clean for folding later on after the storm starts, LOL.)

Otherwise, we are ready with extra water, etc, etc. I have to stop by nursing home to check on Mom in a few minutes. Storm expected by 1 p.m. today. I'm planning a nice day at home tomorrow where all the work is done and I can do some projects I'm working on for gifts!

I don't think it will be as bad as that ice storm where you are, Mother....

My husband's company is based in Tulsa and we've been hearing stories...

I live just outside Tulsa and it honestly looks like Katrina came thru here. There are still thousands without power. I was very blessed, my electricity never went off, but we had about 1 1/2 inches of ice. Trees and power poles were snapping for two days. Every tree on my place is broken or completely destroyed. We laid awake Sun night and listened to tree limbs break and hit the house, but there doesn't appear to be any damage to the house. PSO has restored power to about 70,000 people, but another 160,000 or so are still without. That doesn't count the smaller elec companies either. We were prepared - fireplace, propane stove and generator, gasoline, plenty of food and firewood. Still glad I didn't have to really put it to the test. To pour salt in the wound, we are expecting 4 inches of snow tomorrow night....

GOODMORNINGSNOWMANSETTINGDOWN.gif

We didn't get any of the ice, it is just to cold up here now to rain. That is one of the things about up here, as long as we have snow, we usually don't get the rain until it warms up again. Although we have had rain in January. Will keep you all in my praying .

Our DD and our oldest DS and family are in TX., but neither have said anything about ice, just rain. I do know it has been very cold by Dalas, so it would be easy for them to get the ice.

Naturelady, I am glad that you weren't put to the test.

Right now, here at the house, we have -20º.

HUGS2-1.jpg

We just got nudged by the last one. Had winds and about 3 inches of snow. It hit south of us hard so JCK88 likely got hit hard by snow. We're in for a Sunday punch on .....well.....Sunday and Monday. The University where my Lovely Slovak Wife works has already sent a message around that nothing will stop the start of finals on Monday so for students with finals on that day to make plans NOW to be there. Sort of the University's way of saying "Welcome to the REAL world folks!" to all the students use to 'snow days' off.

We wound up with 9 inches of fluffy stuff! It is so pretty and the roads are all clear today. Of course, tomorrow night will be different, they are saying we will get hit again only this time with ice!

The storm is due late tomorrow night and we hope predictions are accurate because we are going to the Nutcracker matinee! (daughter dearly wanted to go so we are...)

Naturelady...glad you made it through!

Thanks for the well wishes! My mom's elec came back on this evening so we took her home. Cleaned out her frig and freezer while there...I heard something today from two different people that just floored me. Even though they each have gas hot water heater, so they have plenty of hot water, they haven't showered for what, 5 days now, because there's no electric for the blow dryer to dry their hair !!!! I didn't even know what to say.......................... shrug

Archived