MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Preserving your treasured family recipes

Snowmom

GOODMORNINGMARSHMELLOWS.gif

I just posted this in the Homemade Crafts, too. smile

It has a copyright on it so will only put a bit and then put the url where you can find the rest of it. smile

Preserving Your Treasured Family Recipes

by RACHEL PAXTON

Recipes are part of a family's heritage. Every family has favorite recipes that have been passed from generation to generation. Some are handwritten on recipe cards, and others are tucked away in old, worn cookbooks that are slowly falling apart.

These treasures won't last ever, and they should be preserved for future generations. One way to make sure these recipes live on is to put together a collection of your own family's recipes.

Computers have made it very easy for people to accomplish this task--and the work isn't all that hard. Your cookbook could be as simple as 8 1/2" x 11" pages hole-punched and tied together with yarn. There is some kind of appeal in the look and feel of a handmade cookbook. Recipes lovingly compiled by a close friend or relative make a very special gift.

Choose a Format

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/chpreserve.html

SNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpgHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gifHAPPYNEWYEAR12.gifHAPPYNEWYEARSNOOPY.gif

I have been thinking about doing this for the boys. Maybe give it to them when the get married or move out. Not only treasured family recipes but basic stuff too. Including recipes for making your own mixes (baking mix, browine mix etc) How to cut up a chicken. Things that just are not being taught now because so many people pick up that bucket of fried chicken on the way home.

GOODMORNINGMARSHMELLOWS.gif

I don't know as I have posted about this, but I will now. smile

My sister who passed away last Febuary, always tried to give a small notebook of recipes to her grandchildren as they got married. But, the past year had been rough and she had asked a DDIL to type them all up for her. For Christmas we all got a nice 3 ring note book with all the recipes that my sister had been putting in these other note books. smile That was so very special to me as well as to everyone else. smile

Some place in my keepsakes, I have a hand written recipe that my grandmother had written. I never met her, as she had been killed in a train accident long before my mother was married even. But, I have this and I need to do something with it to make sure it is safe. smile

I also have many recipes that my mother had hand written, I should get them all together and into a note book. That would be a nice Christmas Gift for our kids next year. smile

There are so many things that could be put in a cook book today that were not thought of years ago, and one really does need to keep the old recipes going. smile

I do so agree, Mto3b, there are so many people who 'pick' up food today and take home that my guess is that some people would have no idea how to cut a chicken up.

HAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gifSNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpg

I too have been thinking of this. I have lost recipes that we did have in the family. When I was 18 our house burnt down, then my mother died and next I went in the army. So I didn't even get a chance to get recipes from other family recipes. We got my dad's bean recipe about 12 years ago, but both my sister and I managed to lose it after we got it. At least she thinks she lost it. We are still looking for it. I had a lot of papers get damaged, so I know mine is lost, but my sister may still have it at her house if she can ever find it.

About three years ago I started to try to gather family recipes to put in a cookbook for my daughter. The family hasn't been that cooperative so I only have a few recipes. I will put the cookbook together, but it may have to be based on what I figure out now and not our past. I have tried so hard to get family to share favorite recipes and the stories to go with them. I have volunteered to put the cookbook together for everyone. Hopefully I will be able to get it together eventually.

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

Oh, Deb, I do hope you can get some of your family to share with you. I'm so sorry that you are unable to find the recipe from your dad.

I think it was about 11 years ago when we had a family reunion, we talked about a family cook book. We did make one, but, like you it is hard to get other members to share. I think it was just a couple of us who had to put the most in as we would get only one or two from others.

We did make it and sold it to the family members and some paid and there were a few who didn't. frown We didn't sell it for what we should have or it would have been enough to help with the meat and foods for the next reunion. That was the reason for making it up in the first place. But, that is fine, it is all done and over with and I don't know as I would do it again for something like that.. Just for myself and a few others. Not try and get 100 people to buy it, and that is about what we had done.

Anyway, I think it is a very good idea to make it for yourself and your chldren. smile

SNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpgHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

I have a real pretty journal that Princess Sr. bought me a few years ago. Everytime the girls eat here and really like one of my "specialties" I write the recipe in the book. I figure some day when I am gone they will love this book. At the top of each recipe I write the date and what some of the girls comments were about the dish. That way they get their favorite foods and a memory to go!

GOODMORNINGBEARMAKINGORANGEJUICE.gif

Momo, that is so sweet, I would never have thought of doing something like that. smile You think of such nice things and ways to do things for your grandaughters and others. smile

SNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpgHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

Snow, I am very sentimental and on a fixed income. Things like this are just perfect for me. I figure at least one of the Princesses will be sentimental. I think the 5 year old is the best chance. She is already so sensitive.

One of my prized possessions is a hand written recipe of my mothers. It's the only one she ever wrote for me. Of course, I will have to add it to my book and explain about their great granny's recipe!

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

Oh Momo, I'm sure your Princesses will be happy to get something like this from you. smile

You know, I have several, in fact lots of recipes that my mother wrote on different things, I mean any type of paper she happen to have handy she wrote on. I need to gather them up and spend time typing them out and putting them into a book too.

Then there are so many recipes that were not written out, but clipped out of papers, magazines and such tht both my mother and Old Pine's mother kept, I guess I will have to take a week and just go through them all.

I really do believe this is something that would be appreciated by most, but not by all. There are some who don't cook, won't cook and could care less about what was done 30 or so years ago, or who wrote them. It is so sad that some people are that way. But, we will do our best to keep all of the past alive doing what we can to show the younger ones what and how and who. smile

HAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gifSNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpgHAPPYMONDAY1.gif

Archived