MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darlene

Ephesians 3:1

I'm feeling very disconnected with this whole thing. I am having a hard time gearing up to do this study since I left to go to Miami for Christmas. Every time I think about starting it back up, I have a million thoughts and feelings as to why I don't wanna. This morning I was sitting here thinking about how I didn't want to do this again today. I realized though, that my walk with the Lord is not one based on feelings, it's based on a walk of faith and trust, no matter how I am feeling about it all.

Lord,

You know what's in my heart, and I don't know how to get back to where I was before I took the holiday break...

I'm going to just do one verse today, because I don't even wanna do that.

You are the light, You know the way, You ARE the way. Here I am, with an outstretched hand, asking for Your help.

I trust Your faithfulness so teach me what You would have me see.

1. For this cause, I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,

Calvin writes, "For this cause. Paul’s imprisonment, which ought to have been held as a confirmation of his apostleship, was undoubtedly presented by his adversaries in an opposite light. He therefore points out to the Ephesians that his chains served to prove and to declare his calling; and that the only reason why he had been imprisoned was, that he had preached the gospel to the Gentiles. His unshaken firmness was no small additional proof that he had discharged his office in a proper manner.

The prisoner of Jesus Christ. To strengthen his authority still more, he speaks in lofty terms of his prison. In the presence of the world and of wicked men, this might have appeared to be foolish boasting; but, in addressing godly persons, it was a dignified and faithful manner. The glory of Christ not only overcomes the ignominy of the chains, but converts what was in itself a reproach into the highest honor. If he had merely said, “I am a prisoner,” this would not have conveyed the idea of his being an ambassador. Imprisonment alone has no claim to this honor, being usually the mark of wickedness and crime. But the crowns and sceptres of kings, to say nothing of the imposing splendor of an ambassador, are less honorable than the chains of a prisoner of Jesus Christ. Men might think otherwise, but it is our duty to judge of the reasons. So highly ought the name of Christ to be revered by us, that what men consider to be the greatest reproach, ought to be viewed by us as the greatest honour.

For you Gentiles. Another circumstance greatly fitted to interest the Ephesians was, that the persecutions of Paul were endured for the Gentiles, — that his troubles and dangers were on their account."

Wesley wrote, "For this cause - That ye may be so "built together," I am a prisoner for you gentiles - For your advantage, and for asserting your right to these blessings. This it was which so enraged the Jews against him."

And finally, Clarke comments, "For this cause] Because he maintained that the Gentiles were admitted to all the privileges of the Jews, and all the blessings of the new covenant, without being obliged to submit to circumcision, the Jews persecuted him, and caused him to be imprisoned, first at Caesarea, where he was obliged to appeal to the Roman emperor, in consequence of which he was sent prisoner to Rome. See Acts xxi. 21-28, &c.

The prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles] For preaching the Gospel to the Gentiles, and showing that they were not bound by the law of Moses, and yet were called to be fellow citizens with the saints; for this very cause the Jews persecuted him unto bonds, and conspired his death."

Heavenly Father,

Thank You for releasing Your Spirit into my heart as I did this little bit. I feel Your power and Your peace, and I need You so much.

I need You, Lord.

In Jesus name,

Thanks.

I think it's interesting the he says 'I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ'. He starts it off by saying 'For this reason'. I've got to ask, what is the reason he's referring to? The previous chapter leads us to the answer which is 'you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household'.

He also acknowledges that it's Jesus doing the prison part which is an indication to complete submission and recognizing that it's God's very hand that's bringing this to him for His purpose.

Yippee, she's back and working again.....

Quote:
I realized though, that my walk with the Lord is not one based on feelings, it's based on a walk of faith and trust, no matter how I am feeling about it all.

Very true. Very VERY true. Thanks, Darlene, for your faithfulness in this.

Yep, we humans tend to enslave ourselves to someone/something....Paul made sure it was the RIGHT SomeOne.

MtRider

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.