1/4 cup butter

Salt and pepper to taste

1/2 tsp. thyme

1/2 tsp. rosemary

1 med. onion, sliced thin

1 armadillo, cleaned and cut into serving pieces

1 1/4 cups light cream

1 tbsp. cornstarch

Mix all ingredients of marinade and add armadillo. Marinate about 8 hrs., turning meat occasionally. Remove armadillo and reserve marinade.

Melt butter in deep skillet and brown armadillo pieces. Pour in marinade and bring to a boil. Stir in seasoning, cover and simmer until tender (about 1 - 1 1/4 hours.) Remove skillet from the fire and place armadillo pieces on a warmed platter.

Mix mustard and cornstarch, then mix in cream. Return skillet to low heat and stir in this mixture a little at a time. Stir sauce until hot, but not boiling, and thickened. Pour sauce over armadillo. Serve with steamed rice.

Originally Posted By: Leah
Mich@el,
Are these real recipes that you post, or are they joke ones? You have armadillo in there twice. Is it supposed to be a creamed armadillo over armadillo pieces?

I went looking - did you know they used to make baskets out of the shells?
armadillos.jpg

Yep there real all right!! I'm a fanatical believer in having a wide variety of choices in my recipe options should the mood/need arise.

The sauce is made from the liquor that the armadillo was simmered in, not another dillo in the sauce.

Ihave also seen purses made from the shell/skin.
  • 8 years later...

Thank you for the recipe....I didn't know there were armadillos in Alabama, until I saw the road killed ones on the way home to Wis. Not very big ones, or maybe they were babies. Learning about all the new-to-me wildlife, and plants to add to my foraging calendars, since we plan on going there again next winter.