MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

CALLING ALL NEW PEOPLE!!!

Cat

:wave: We'd like to help you find what you want.

I understand that you may be unsure about actually posting, especially if you're new to forums. But to participate in a poll, all you have to do is click on an answer (or two). *You must be registered and signed in!*

And no, you don't have to be new to vote. Any registered member can vote, and you're invited to comment on your choices afterwards if you'd like. Even if you've just lurked for years, you can do this. :)

In these two polls, you may vote for as many choices as you want. Hopefully, your input will help us better meet your needs and pull up information you'd like to see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since the move, we lost the original polls. This is a picture of the last recorded results, taken in the spring of 2008.

2608.jpg

See the PART TWO thread to vote on the new one.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, 1st poll was other. When I joined, I'd only been "really" prepping for a short time. I also like that it is a place to fellowship with like-minded women (regardless of the male members, I came for the women's support).

In the second poll, I literally checked them all. I am still learning so many things, so here's the list and why I chose all of them:

Saving money- Duh, LOL

Which foods and how to use them- Always looking for new ways to make things with on-hand & preps items, and HOW to make them with various cooking methods.

How to can and/or dehydrate foods- Again, like to see the methods & find new recipes

Safe storage of supplies- I know a lot of these, but I find new methods all the time, plus I can ask questions- like when I asked about using my ragu jars, etc.

City dwellers’ concerns- Currently living in the city

Country dwellers’ concerns- but hoping to move back to the country VERY soon

Weapons and protection- we are armed in a very basic way. I am hoping to expand on this

Animals for protection- Again, hoping to expand

Animals for food supply- especially with GM food & cloning eek I am gleaning ALL I can to raise animals for food, even if I can only do it "urban-ly."

Growing food- I can always use new views & opinions on gardening. This is one I'm still trying to perfect in an urban area

Support and encouragement- See my answer to the first poll!

Safe place to discuss these things- Again, see the answer to the first poll. I also appreciate the members-only sections!

As you can tell, I very much appreciate the posts on here, the people, the knowledge & the free sharing of the knowledge. I am always learning something new & it's nice to connect with like-minded folks.

I guess I'm not really that "new", having joined in 2006. I just don't post because my work schedule keps me away from the computer for long stretches.

I've always had a preparedness mindset. I grew up in tornado country, and everyone had a basement with food and supplies. I am also old enough to have had the civil defense training in grade school. THAT made an impression, lemme tell ya! smile

I beleive preparedness and frugality go hand in hand. I strive to be a good homemaker/manager. Keeping a full pantry is just sound economic sense. Why pay full price for tuna when it goes on sale twice each year and I can pick up 6 months worth at a reduced price?

I voted "other" also, LOL

In spite of my recent ill-mannered rants, I also like this place a lot. smile

It was interesting to note that people mainly wanted a safe place to discuss this stuff. That's rather telling--in real life some look askance if you mention preparedness. Nice to have a place where it's the norm.

For the first one I voted OTHER. I came right around Y2K.

The second one I choose WHICH FOODS AND HOW TO USE THEM

and SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT.

I was looking for a group of like minded women who could

help me get started prepping. Do you know what....

lovemrss This is the best place for getting support

and information! I'm so glad to have found it. smile

DH made me do it. He was starting to really get into prepping and thought I needed a womans perspective. He thought it had a great view on alot of topics.

*sigh* Dont quote me on this.. but.. he was right.

THERE I said it!! *sigh* Ill never live this down.

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I'm sooo glad to have found this site. I have a lot of concerns about possible downfalls and I'm really wanting to start preparing my family for "worst case" scenarios. I have 2 kids that I need to care for regardless what else happens in life. Its nice to be able to find other women that feel the same way and even if you're prepping for something different than I am at least you don't think I'm the psycho, needs a white jacket and padded room lady.

Originally Posted By: brimichelle
I have a lot of concerns about possible downfalls and I'm really wanting to start preparing my family for "worst case" scenarios. I have 2 kids that I need to care for regardless what else happens in life.

You may want to head down to the "basement" here, to the members only area.
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: ArmyOfFive4God
OK, 1st poll was other. When I joined, I'd only been "really" prepping for a short time. I also like that it is a place to fellowship with like-minded women (regardless of the male members, I came for the women's support).

In the second poll, I literally checked them all. I am still learning so many things, so here's the list and why I chose all of them:

Saving money- Duh, LOL

Which foods and how to use them- Always looking for new ways to make things with on-hand & preps items, and HOW to make them with various cooking methods.

How to can and/or dehydrate foods- Again, like to see the methods & find new recipes

Safe storage of supplies- I know a lot of these, but I find new methods all the time, plus I can ask questions- like when I asked about using my ragu jars, etc.

City dwellers’ concerns- Currently living in the city

Country dwellers’ concerns- but hoping to move back to the country VERY soon

Weapons and protection- we are armed in a very basic way. I am hoping to expand on this

Animals for protection- Again, hoping to expand

Animals for food supply- especially with GM food & cloning eek I am gleaning ALL I can to raise animals for food, even if I can only do it "urban-ly."

Growing food- I can always use new views & opinions on gardening. This is one I'm still trying to perfect in an urban area

Support and encouragement- See my answer to the first poll!

Safe place to discuss these things- Again, see the answer to the first poll. I also appreciate the members-only sections!

As you can tell, I very much appreciate the posts on here, the people, the knowledge & the free sharing of the knowledge. I am always learning something new & it's nice to connect with like-minded folks.

My answers were the same as Miss Kayla's. I checked "other" on the first poll. My answers to the second one are almost identical to hers and I am going to be lazy and copy rather than type it all out again.

I've been prepping on and off for almost 10 years...but the past 6-8 months I've felt a huge uneasiness and even felt a major push to get my behind in gear and get back to doing this. We had fallen way off the prepping wagon, but now we are back on track again.

I came here mostly for support and encouragement, and of course, to learn from you ladies here.

• 2 weeks later...

I not too new either, just read mostly though.

Now to show my age, I started ready a story about a bunch of women in the New Orleans area having an EMP attach a 3:00 one afternoon, and having to bike to get the children, 1 husband flying, son on the causeway. Anyway, I could only read so long, and now I cannot find the thread.

Help anyone?

The first poll was easy as I didn't really have a specific reason, just general uneasiness. I just knew that I needed to prepare and that what the government suggested did not seem enough. On the second poll, I did check almost all of them. I checked country dwellers concerns because part of the reason I came here is I want to move to the country and wanted to learn more about what I should know to do that. Since I came to the board, I have also looked into the city dweller concerns. I guess I have always lived in town, and so I never thought that I needed to learn anything about living there. I was wrong. I have gained so much since reading all the forums on this board. As time has passed, ( I have been on here for about a year now,) I find that even the sections I didn't check are becoming more important to me. For instance animals for defense is not something I would have thought about before. To me a dog or a cat were pets, farm animals were food....defense didn't enter into it. Over the past year, with things I have seen and how times are changing so rapidly, I not only am considering an animal for defense but what else can I do for defense. Although I have not quite crossed the line yet, I am even considering a gun for defense, and I wouldn't know the first thing about how to use one or what to get. To me, guns have always been for the police, military, maybe someone in a high risk job, and of course hunting. I have believed that a gun in the home for defense is more likely to be used on you than as your defense. This may be partly because we did have one when I was married to my ex and he pulled it on me when he was drunk. No matter, I haven't decided to get one, but I actually have considered at least taking lessons on how to use one. Since my relatives hunt, it would be with something they use to hunt, but this is a big change for me to consider it. That is because times have gotten more scary over the past year, and I am seeing that it actually could be a good thing to know about and have. Making this change in my thought process I think is almost scarier than everything else. I never have pictured myself with one, and am not sure I could ever actually use it to defend myself or my family. Yet I am not considering it. That being said, I could have checked everything on the last poll. Why with the cost of everything going up saving money has even become an issue. I never thought of it much before. I even am actually cutting and using coupons now. Oh, not that many because I still find I can get alot of it cheaper going off brand than using the coupon, but I have started to use them. I had to pay 50 to fill my tank last week. Two years ago it would have cost 20 and I remember not to long ago when 10 would get me to and from work all week, and I worked five days a week and drove an hour each way!!! So I guess money is definately becoming a real concern. There isn't anything that we discuss on this board that I don't find useful, and that includes the wonderful stories some of our talented people have been writing. I come away and think I want more.

I grew up in farming and ranching, the folks did some of this when I was younger, but slowed with age. I have always had interest, but the EX wasn't interested, (Once commented to neighbor while sittin on porch watching me in garden that I was stupid to think SHE was going to use any of that stuff). I started prepping to a small extent about 5 years ago. Since the divorce I have increased my attempts at providing for my needs myself.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

I've been around for a few years. I like reading how to do some of the things I think about. I've been prepping for about 10 years.

I learned how to raise turkeys mostly from asking questions here. Westbrook did most of the answering. Many thanks! My turkeys did great and tasted wonderful. I liked knowing that I could ask and someone with experience would answer.

Archived