MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

CALLING ALL NEW PEOPLE!!!

Cat

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm as new as a person could get. I voted, my primary concern is a general uneasyness about how chaotic the world has become and it's hitting closer to home. Volitile costs and the crazy weather patterns, plus it's a violent world. I was never taught to prepare. In the last six months or so I've gotten this insane urge to prepare and that I won't be fast enough. It's hard to keep calm! Everyone I know looks at me like I am crazy. Maybe I am, but I wont be hungry and crazy.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Just put my vote in. I've been here for a little while now just haven't posted anything yet. Been spending most of my time reading everything that I can in here. There's so much to read and to learn and everyone in here seems so nice. I love this place.

smile

Hey everybody! Cat I liked your poll. I too hae been around since y2k. Life's been busy so I really haven't been a part of the MrsSurvival family, but I hope and plan for that to change.

I do have a few questions that I need answered so I will feel like I am a part of y'all. How do I get one of those cute signatures y'all have, and when does everybody chat in the chat room? I must be going in at the wrong time, cause I'm usually the only one there. I would really like to talk to y'all and get to know y'all better and y'all get to know me as well.

Thanks for being there and reading.

cleanheart

P.S. how do you get those cute little smiley face characters?

Post a request for a siggy (signature) down here - http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthrea...d=12&page=1

--

Officially: Thursday chat times are 8-10 am Pacific, 9-11 am Mountain, 10-12 am Central, and 11am - 1 pm Eastern.

Monday evenings 5-7 pm Pacific, 6-8 pm Mountain, 7-9 pm Central, and 8-10 pm Eastern (though we do tend to continue past the scheduled 'ending time').

-

Post a note in the shout box up to your right - It's like a minichat...

-

Some of the smilies can be found if you reply by using the little button on the left side of the post above where you want to type. You click the smiley when you get to the new box, and they pop up.

Originally Posted By: StarDancer
Hi everyone. Just put my vote in. I've been here for a little while now just haven't posted anything yet. Been spending most of my time reading everything that I can in here. There's so much to read and to learn and everyone in here seems so nice. I love this place.
smile

Hellllo StarDancer! Did I miss your welcome? Well, either way welcome5 Yup, theres a lot to sift through but really worth the effort. don't be afraid to ask questions.

You never know what you might know that we need too smile

((())))))))
  • 3 weeks later...

This has been really fascinating for me, watching the percentages grow. Great insight into what people are thinking and feeling, and into what brings them *here*.

thanks

A few surprises:

I'm a bit surprised that the governmental recommendations is *so* low. Maybe people who enter prepping that way just listen and follow ONLY what the gov't websites say? shrug

I think what was once "general uneasiness" would probably push more into "World/National financial instability" now, with all the economic turmoil playing out as it is.

It doesn't surprise me that most people both want and need support and a safe place to talk about things. This is primarily a women's site, after all, and when we don't have someone close to us with whom we can discuss these "crazy" fears, online friends and discussions help a lot.

And Mrs S tends to be more "food and security" than "firepower and ammo". wink

Even though "Animals for protection" is low priority, don't dismiss the early warning system that a dog or geese can give you. Even the US Army learned in Germany that dogs could be bribed, while geese couldn't. (And they're just strange and unpredictable enough to "city folk" that they scare people away!) happy02

This is an ongoing survey. You may post a reply, too, or just make your choices, but we ARE watching and trying to help you find what you need.

THANK YOU!!!

grouphug2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all....I'm new...just registered and I can not tell you how excited I am to have found you guys!!! I also prepared for Y2K and my husbands family thought we were nuts. Of course, I didn't care because better safe than sorry. We lost nothing by preparing because nothing was wasted and I would do it again. Now I have a very uneasy feeling that I have had for the past 6 mo or so. I feel an overwhelming urge to do something and get my ducks in a row quickly. Can't put my finger on the "what" or "why" but my gut says not to worry about that just do it. Looking foward to reading everything you guys put out there and hope to contribute as well.

Welcome momnplanmode! So glad you're here. I know what you mean about that "urge to do something...". A lot of us are feeling that too.

Hello everyone. I finally found you again, after joining some weeks ago. I got to do my monthly shopping in Plattsburgh, NY today. I live in just a tiny apartment an hour into the Adirondack State Park. I am going to be making some camp food, dehydrating cooked burger and such. In a group I belong to on Yahoo, they all call it hamburger rocks. I also found out many dehydrate frozen veggies. At this point, with my budget, other than buying from emergencyessentials and such, this is about the easiest way to prepare my bug out bags. There sure were not many folks at Walmart. I would prefer to shop in other stores but not too many are available that are not into total hwy robbery this far north. So, I do what I can. I actually still need to use my oven to dehydrate stuff too. Awhile ago I moved to NY state and am still getting big items I need to furnish kitchen and apartment. I needed to get a tent today, I felt. Im going to be sewing a lightweight bob bag from light canvas this weekend, along with some curtains for my bedroom windows. I hope to get a good kelty backpack before the fall and hope I dont need it before then! But I feel any prep is good prep. I did find the LDS prep manual finally on a group and have it saved to my computer. Does mrs s. have it in the files?

Except for a few motorcycle tourists enjoying the spring growth here, its really quiet in my town. My son thought it was great that I ordered a knot book and a tom brown tracking book. I plan to make use of both along with edible plant books on my summer camps out in the woods. I can walk into the woods right out of town here and go practice my woodcraft. Me and the bears. ( Pray I stay safe). I have to get used to it. It could come down to me having to skedaddle into those woods, if things get hairy.

I was reading stuff about Chinese and Korean peeople dealing with hoof and mouth disease, hand, mouth, foot disease and an intestinal flu that has killed over two dozen kids in just a few days..... on top of their tragic quake news nad the aftermath, well.... it seems like we do need to keep an eye out for flu news. In these days of global travel, it can travel very very fast. I just got over our typical two flus this year, wasnt fun. I was down for three weeks and took another week to feel like I was human again. I am out walking and doing stuff and it sure feels good.

I am hoping to help our MHA here get a garden in now that the nights have warmed enough..... such a cold spring. Its getting hotter and humid but I am lucky we don't have many tornado moments and I sure feel for everyone else who is going through that!

americanflag so I just wanted to say hi and Im checking the site more frequently. We need to be support for each other. I think my son actually listened when I suggested he and his fiance stock up on things and I sent him the LDS manual. Its a good one! over 250 pages and lots of details and great detailed lists which helps one alot especially if they are just starting out.

Im hoping I can trade a recurve bow to my son for a new 22 cal rifle or better yet a 30-30 so I can start hunting in the fall or have it for subsistance hunting if needed.

I cant pull a 70 pound bow draw weight back!

Mostly I care to just stock up but being able to hunt venison would be nice!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Voted too. I know quite a bit about "in bush" survival, having fought in war and such. But, I know little about the actual type of homesteading I wish to do with my mate. That being, as the pioneers once did without modern "toys" of electricity and do dads to make your life easy (TV, coffee pots, etc.) and away from civilization as much as possible. My mate knows a bit more in this category, but still, there is so much to learn and share.

• 1 month later...

Hi All!!

I'm new here and will be making an effort not to be shy and to post occasionally {grin}.

My family and I live north-east of Toronto, Ontario - in the country. I'm 33 years-old, have an awesome hubby and 4 interesting kids (boy - 11, girls - 10, 8 and 7) who I homeschool. I love to cook, garden, learn about anything interesting (especially self-suffiency, living off-grid and homesteading) and teach my family (and others if they let me!!)

I first was interested in 'prepping' when I realized that my 3rd child was due January 1, 2000 and everyone was 'freaking' about Y2K. So, I planned a home birth, stocked essentials, figured out what to do if there wasn't electricity and running water, and prayed. Over the years I have been learning slowly about being prepared for what may happen. I have been recently lurking on various forums and have connected with someone who thinks the way I do and doesn't think I'm insane (Hi Anita!!).

Thank you for all your wisdom ladies. I'm slowly reading my way through all the forums and especially the 'best of Mrs. Survival'.

Michelle

welcome5 We *love* our northern neighbors!!

I visited Toronto during "Expo 67" as a child (OOPS... WAY before your time!!! ashamed ), and then we went further east and found "Napanee", which later became a sister city to my hometown, "Nappanee". They have a beautiful park with a "stairsteps" waterfall we waded in. wink

So jump in anywhere and any time... share your wisdom!!!

bighug

Hi MichR and all the folks I missed in this new round.

15.gif

You've really found a good home and a great bunch of people to visit, share ideas, ask questions of and generally enjoy the prepping lifestyle with. Urban, suburban or country. All points of the compass just about. grin

Jump and join in!!!

grouphug2

I joined on the advice of a very dear friend. More about that later...

I'm finding that I really enjoy this sight. More then I ever dreamed I would. Sucks to say that, cause I know that dear friend ain't gonna let me live it down--Ever.

My hubby, tho I love him to death, has a tendancy to be rather, umm, tough on my friends. Somehow they seem gradually fade away under his scrutiny, so when we moved to a new town for his work, I didn't put as much effort into socializing as I ought to have, and now...well ...

Ok...so I'm a Kook. I'm a happy Kook and i'm really loving comeing here and being a part of things... It's a thrill to chatter with folks who share my own ideals for a change. BLESS YOU!

Plus, as a bonus, I'm learning A LOT and I think I can get hubby grouch interested so he might join eventually too. Then you'll have 2 kooks on the loose (if you'll have us).

Archived