MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

CALLING ALL NEW PEOPLE!!!

Cat

goodone Are you *SURE* you want "hubby grouch" turned loose in this place?

sassing

So glad you like it here. The more the merrier!!!

**Cat adjusts her "Kook" hat for better reception...**

tinfoil

rofl

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OOOH! CAN I HAVE A KOOK HAT TOO!!? I want one! A hot pink and lime green one....with orange swirls! smile

(Bear with me girls, my social skills are lacking)

Think maybe you'd all actually rather like my hubby grouch. From what I've read he seems to fit right in with "Trip" and "Louis1." (Maybe that's why he has trouble fitting in elsewhere. lol)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Also a newbie. I came through friend. I have had a general unease for a long time and it is getting worse. Since I come from a family that while semi prepared wasn't overly prepared, I figured I shoudl find out some more information so I can be prepared.

GOODMORNINGPUPPYINBOX.gif

WELCOMEMATFORFALL.gif to all who are new and I haven't yet welcomed.

Wes, you are young, but, not a newbie. smile After all you said you are only what, 39. smile My DD said at one time she always thought of me at that age, until she was 39, now she has to think of me a bit older. frown

Man, nap time, I haven't had breakfast yet.

FALLHUGSLEAVES.gifHAVEAGOODDAY1.gif

Greetings to all,,I'm wildman800 and I would very much like to learn everything that you ladies can manage to teach an old sailor.

I've been a preparationist since I was about 3 years old and I've known what that was for about the last 35 of those years.

I will do my best to be a fly on the wall but I will make postings to answer any questions in a field that I have experience and/or expertise in.

Thanks to everyone in advance for putting up with me!!! Bo

welcome5 HI Wildman, I am an ex navy woman. Son just getting out of the Marines, prior enlisted and navy academy grad, hes already overseas working with a company inspecting pipelines all over the world. His fiance, another Marine officer is getting ready to go to the Gulf on a ship.

Hope we can help you out. Sounds like you have knowhow that can help us learn various things too.

This is a wonderful site although we do get cantankerous sometimes in the edge, cave, outhouse, but we respect others choices.

Ive gotten lots of help, grown in faith and usually have less anxiety facing the times we are in as I have started to prep.

There are so many forums to enjoy. Holler in the shout box sometime and say hey. Folks are there periodically. We have fun too. I think if you can let harsh stuff roll off your back, you will be just fine and enjoy everything else.

Hi. I've been reading here off and on for a few years, and just never bothered to register.

We've been "prepping" since '99, but have always lived on a farm and grown a lot of our own food. We have 8 children, homeschool, and just generally lead a quiet life.

I decided to go ahead and register because I have this heaviness - this feeling that something bad is coming - and even though my trust is in Him, I do want to take some more steps to being prepared.

Thanks for letting me join - I look forward to learning alot.

wildman,

there are lots of Mr. Survivals here too! just jump in and meet everyone!

talk about stuff before it is asked! I do.

Allow me to introduce my hubby..now with a fresh new name of his very own: Bre'r Ba'r.

Most of you all are already familure with him through his muttered comments to me. He's a grumpy nut. But I luv him and I'm sure that you'll all get to enjoy him too, given enough time. You'll have to learn to translate his growls to english, but I'll do what I can to help out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I haven't had a garden in years so looking for food growing topics.

I can waterbath can but not pressure can, looking to maybe trying that and learning from folks who already do.

My main worry is the economic condition of the planet right now and food storage is a biggie. I just couldn't fathom seeing my children be hungry. That would break my heart. In addition to that, other things like hygiene stocking and anything else I can think of to try to make things as comfortable as possible and as normal as possible when TSHTF.

My DH is on board with the prepping and he's really supportive of the efforts but isn't as much of a participant as I'd like him to be but I'm thankful he's on board. Sometimes though he'll say we need to make an Aldi's run for extra stuff or help me organize but the planning, for the most part, is on me. Being with like-minded people, even on the internet is a blessing. Nobody here thinks I'm insane for having a lot of food in the house. LOL

Safe place to discuss these things is of utmost importance. Suggestions from people and ideas are how any of us are going to weather the storm and I hope I can bring some ideas as well.

I will say this. I've been reading here a long time and I am certain that there are many people who lurk places like this for ideas and information with more people looking every day due to what's going on in the world. This site is helping more people than y'all probably realize.

Noelle it is terrific that your DH is on board about the prepping, and I think if things get tighter, he may be willing to help out more. Maybe he can help you with shelves and organization and inventory abit at a time.

Also, skills like maintaining electric and such categories, with auto/truck maintenance, making sure he has a set of tools and knows how to use them ( maybe he does already?), gathering info on homemade devices in case the power went out.... anything you can do to improve your gardening and such, theres always stuff you can ask him to lend a hand at and in gaining the skills and knowing what works best for you both can be a big help!

Is he an outdoorsy type, camping, hiking, hunting? I know there are different scenarios to prep for, Staying In Place is usually what we try for, but unfortunately our modern world has more threats of various means than we would like to aknowledge. Occassionally going through a quietly done 'what if' questioning discussion may jog interests and ideas.

Some ideas and examples....

Alot of folks are trying to figure out water storage and rain barrels, some are restricted by law, but for an emergency where everyone must stay at home, pandemics, attacks, civil unrest--- that affect water supplies and water delivery if on city water and sewage, is one example. I do not know your residential situation, so it may be important to think that out.

Ways to purify and filter water can be very rudimentary or one might invest in a berkey filter system for the household. I am just one person and even a brita water filter pitcher is a big help. I have creeks and a river right next to me,so getting water is no problem. I have wood outside if I need to boil it by the bucket, so to speak. I can make a filter from coarse sand and a tripod of sticks and material to filter out stuff, but it must also be purified for consumption and I prefer it also done for personal washing ... so I can boil it. But I also have stored a months worth of drinking water and refresh it every few months, for now.

I would like to get water barrels , probably 15 gallon ones and in a years time they have more than tripled in price.. so getting a couple has become a big investment for me. Depending on how many folks in your household will determine how much water you will need. One month minimum, and up is how I and others probably look at it.

Its things like this.... for SIP life, and ways to bug out, walk out, drive out, where to go and why, that can be added to prep parameters we set for ourselves. I would either stay in place, go camp in the woods, say during an epidemic period.... or walk out up to 2000 miles. How do I do that with my particular circumstances is what I had to ask myself. I have a small apartment but am surrounded by millions of acres of wilderness in the Adirondacks. I am working on my health and strength and stamina.

Many of us ladies here have figured out we need to get busy on that.... it could be essential in case we had to walk out, it is essential for simple ability. It is essential to basic health and illness prevention. It is taking responsibility for ourselves, and keeping the temple our souls are in in better shape. It is essential that I am ambulatory so that I can simply enjoy life more, is how I feel, and be around to enjoy my sons family as it grows, to be able to keep up! I was quite the athlete in my younger years and I should never have stopped. I have made comebacks before, and although some days are gravely challenging I am already making progress and I am determined.

It is simply ok to take the time to go for a walk! It is ok to be silly and dance in the evening to whatever music there is, it is ok to get off the couch! It is also setting a good example to our kids and friends, and it would be fun to play touch football with the grandkids some day and be able to hike and get up that hill again, and not be hurting or out of breath! It might even be imperative that I am able to run again, and maybe hoof it with a heavy pack again. I feel I need to be back in training and I started... if I just keep going, and with the encouragement here ( the Spa forum), I may just succeed!

Archived