MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The MacKinnon

Organizing Prep Notebooks

We got a 'snowday' today (buses have trouble in passes with ice so we get a holiday) so I'm home trying to figure out how to go about organizing my notebook with prep notes/printouts in it.

If you're doing same, I'd love it if you'd share your thoughts and tips on setting up such a notebook!

:)

and I've been in my jammies all day!!!!

:sassing: is what I think about you being in your jammies all day! lol

I really can't be much help as right now my preps are just a section in my personal notebook. They don't have a book of their own yet. Guess I need to get to printing.

I haven't put one together, but depending on how many categories you have, I'd do a tab for each section like food, medical supplies, pet supplies, etc. Then under each tab you can organize your sheets according to type of emergency if you like. Many of the emergencies have overlapping supply lists.

I have wanted to set up a notebook system for a while. I am going to be interested in what people who already have one started have to say.

Originally Posted By: RusticOkie

:sassing: is what I think about you being in your jammies all day! lol

:girlneener:

Just found out I get 2 more days! No school til Tuesday!!!!

I'm just thinking to myself really but...do they sell plain unlined white paper with notebook holes already punched in it? Like notebook paper without the lines? That way the notes etc. could go straight from the printer to the notebook.

I can't believe I've never looked for it before. I've never even thought about it.

They do sell plain punched paper at the office supply store, but it is pricey. Far cheaper to buy a hole puncher at Wal mart, they last forever.

I have had notebooks for many years now. What I do is have a general one with alphabetical dividers for stuff I just run across that looks interesting. Then as those sections grow up and threaten to take over they get their own notebooks. I have seperates ones for storage food recipes, canning (huge!!), herbal info and edible wild plants, sewing, knitting (patterns), crochet, home repairs and am starting one for medical stuff as that section is getting too big for my 'gee-whiz, is that cool!!' book as I call my general one. I am a definite hard-copy-notebook person (can u tell??)

My husband prints music, tons of music, for his fife and drum groups. He has huge crates of those plastic page protectors with the three holes in them. I print stuff off the computer, and use those plastic page holders. This is great for the recipies I've collected as then the pages don't get all sloppy because I'm such a spilly cook!

However, this can get pricey so for most things we have one of those three hole punches and that works just fine. But for anything you plan to flip through a LOT, the plastic pages make it durable.

One of my paperback knitting books fell apart and I put it back together using the plastic page method. There was no room on the pages to punch holes!

(Hey Angela!:::::::::waving::::::)

yeahthat

I've just gotten the page protectors too. They're great. If I have 2 -3 pages of an article, I might just stuff all three pages into one protector. Keeps them together. But,yeah, if it's recipes (spills) or something that would be pulled a lot, I also keep the pages in separate protectors. Warning...they tend to be a tad SLIPPERY until secured into a notebook.

Dogmom's thread link has my description of ONE of my 3-ring binders - The Inventory. I have them also for Health/Medical/Herbal, Food preservation and crisis recipes, Goats (cuz I'm learning) & other livestock, Primative Tools/Skills, Tech Info (like EMP or SW info), Etc.

I also have a notebook for Planning Purchases and it's divided into Health/Santitation, Water, Food, Shelter/Clothing, Animals, Tech stuff, Communications, Tools, etc. This has really helped me to prioritize which (particularly the big ticket items) things I will get next. I've been pleased to cross of many things in the past 12 months....I use B-days and Christmas ...when someone says...whaddya want?

MtRider [3-ring Binder addict! ]

Hey JCK! I was in a pipe and drum band back in Texas for a very short while (sched conflicts, sadly). I know what you mean about tons of sheet music!

I did get sheet protectors for the NB; I use them a lot in school for lesson plans and at home for genealogy trees and documents.

They are great for recipes. I am going back and reading the earlier links; thanks all. Very helpful to this terminally disorganized person!

MtnMamma,

I got so caught up in the nifty plastic sheets I didn't explain anything else...goes to show how organized I am HA!

What I do with my prep notebook is have sections on Bird Flu Pandemic Information, Water purification, ALternative Energy, Cooking without Electricity, Emergency Water Supply, Fire starting, 72 hour kits, Sanitation

I have a section for recipes for making soap, directions on making lip balms and cold creams and some herbal remedies.

I started a separate notebook for nuclear disaster with notations on how our basement should be shielded quickly in the front with sandbags. I have lists of where everything is kept so that if I am not here, my family can quickly scramble. I have directions on everything--even on how to set up the radiation counter and what to do if they have to shelter in place for several weeks and I am not here.

I'm the one with all the research but it does them no good if I keep it to myself.

Basically, you set up your notebook the way you do your preps...for specific purposes you need to prepare for..then you divide your notebook into sections and put your info there. I like to put a list of the sections on the cover so anyone looking at the notebook can see in order what is in it. I don't bother with pag numbers, though,.

::::Hey Judy::::: Waves back:::::

I love having hard copies of things too. Sometimes I'll pick up some notebooks at W-M, but I always keep my eyes open at Goodwill. They usually have a few and I'll pretty much get all of the ones that are in decent condition. Why pay three or four bucks when I can get them for less than a dollar? I try to stay ahead of myself and have a couple extra so when I need a new one it's already there.

I tend to have different ones for different subjects instead of several things in one with dividers. I have one with prep/TSHTF stories, one with knowledge on cooking without electricity (there was an awesome post a couple of year ago that was a tutorial of how to cook over an open flame...I think Nana wrote it?), another with lists/inventories, another with lots of wilderness info., etc. I keep one that I stick all my "ideas" or "need to think about laters" in. Because if I don't put them somewhere, my brain will never think of it later. Like if I find a plant or some seeds I want to order, but I'm not going to be ordering for awhile, I'll put it in there. Then of course there's the cooking/recipe ones. I have several of those ~ and I recently misplaced my favorite one! Bad me. It'll turn up. Then of course there's bills and homeschooling, but that's another whole section.

I need to start one with stitching info and patterns. That's one that I don't have yet.

Originally Posted By: JCK88
MtnMamma,
I got so caught up in the nifty plastic sheets I didn't explain anything else...goes to show how organized I am HA!

What I do with my prep notebook is have sections on Bird Flu Pandemic Information, Water purification, ALternative Energy, Cooking without Electricity, Emergency Water Supply, Fire starting, 72 hour kits, Sanitation

I have a section for recipes for making soap, directions on making lip balms and cold creams and some herbal remedies.

I started a separate notebook for nuclear disaster with notations on how our basement should be shielded quickly in the front with sandbags. I have lists of where everything is kept so that if I am not here, my family can quickly scramble. I have directions on everything--even on how to set up the radiation counter and what to do if they have to shelter in place for several weeks and I am not here.

I'm the one with all the research but it does them no good if I keep it to myself.

Basically, you set up your notebook the way you do your preps...for specific purposes you need to prepare for..then you divide your notebook into sections and put your info there. I like to put a list of the sections on the cover so anyone looking at the notebook can see in order what is in it. I don't bother with pag numbers, though,.

These are great sections to include! Right now, I have a 3" good quality binder. There are 8 dividers for food/water, security, tools, medical, garden, livestock, vehicles and plans. Another one with sections on the topics you mention would be great!

Originally Posted By: JCK88

I have lists of where everything is kept so that if I am not here, my family can quickly scramble. I have directions on everything--even on how to set up the radiation counter and what to do if they have to shelter in place for several weeks and I am not here....

...Basically, you set up your notebook the way you do your preps...for specific purposes you need to prepare for..

...I'm the one with all the research but it does them no good if I keep it to myself.

Well said! Every home should be outfitted with a custom made preparedness notebook that every family member can understand and use.

I just had an idea - in US history we're studying the 1950s. I think I'll have the kids do a little research on nukes and create an updated list of prep stuff - just relate it to the 50s 'craze' and the 'Jericho' tv show. That might get a few of them thinking - I could also tie it back into Katrina (power was out around here for about 36 hours) and the tornadoes we had last week. You know, a sort of 'what about this...' kinda thing.

Originally Posted By: Jeepers
I'm just thinking to myself really but...do they sell plain unlined white paper with notebook holes already punched in it? Like notebook paper without the lines? That way the notes etc. could go straight from the printer to the notebook.

I can't believe I've never looked for it before. I've never even thought about it.

Yes they do but it is more expensive. We use drilled (thats what it is called) here at work some times. I order 10 cases of paper a month for our department one cases cost about as much as two cases of regular paper. You would come out cheaper buying a heavy duty 3-hole hole punch

3 hole - hole punch

You all are inspiring me to get more organized. I have piles and piles of paper that I have printed off things on that really need to be put in notebooks. I even have some 3 ring binders and I have some page protectors. Now to just find the time to do it.

"Steven" at confederatecolonel.com has a super notebook. I would add that you might include area maps with topos of your immediate area and posible destinations. That way you are not limited to the highway system. We have about 15-20 county maps that surround us. They are available free from your local state highway agency or they can be purchased throught most any state capitol highway dept. wc

http://www.fineprint.com/

Take a look at this site. There's a free download available at the bottom of the page.

It's a program that allows you to print double sided, in booklet form, with multiple pages to a page...ways to save printer ink which can be enormously expensive if you do lots of printing...and saves paper too.

I've used this program for quite a few years now and love it. I've found that you need a little "thicker" printer paper to print double-sided...the really cheap paper tends to bleed thru a little.

For our purposes, this may help those who are on a budget to justify printing hard copies of prep info.

Hope this helps someone...

Make sure a GOOD-UPDATED-DETAILED map(s) is included in each of your BOB's too. Highway Dept, huh, -6? I'll have to try that. I'm close to 3 counties and haven't been able to find a map of the 3rd one without driving over there. In the wildfire....we needed to know SPECIFIC routes out in all directions. Mts don't have many roads out.

LivinSimple:

Quote:
You all are inspiring me to get more organized. I have piles and piles of paper that I have printed off things on that really need to be put in notebooks. I even have some 3 ring binders and I have some page protectors. Now to just find the time to do it.

Try doing this half-step first. Label your 3-ring binders by the categories you plan to start with. Then sort the piles into those categories. [psst, don't stop to read them! lol ] Do not try to sort within the categories yet or you won't finish. If you still have time/motivation, put the pages into page protectors. [only thing I don't like about them is trying to peel the durn slippery things open!] Then clamp them into their respective binders. Each binder will be still disorganized but you've got all the papers captured and at least, categoritzed. As you collect more, you can easily go to grab the right binder and shove a page in.

If you run outta time/energy....skip the step about putting into the page protectors initially. Just close the papers between the binder folder loose until you can attack it again.

Later, bit by bit....you can clean up one binder at a time. But if the hooey hit the fan you'd be glad for that much done already.

MtRider [definitely can't do it all at once.....]

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.