MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Up date on my Son

Karen

As many of you remember my son Alex spent most of 2006 and part of 2007 in Iraq serving with the Air Force. He met a beautiful girl in June 2007 named Kari. I realized how serious when he brought her home to meet the family in Sept, I just didn't realize how serious.

He had already been notified he would be returning to the sandpit in early 2008. He got down on one knee and asked her to marry him on January 1st. dance I really was and am thrilled, she put more smiles on my son's face than I had seen in years. They got married January 22nd by a justice of the peace outside the courthouse. He told me they wanted to "get the legal stuff" out of the way before he had to leave, but when he gets back they want a fancy ceremony in his grandmothers back yard. Kari even asked me to help plan the ceremony. balloonscake

He has signed over all life insurances, house title car titles ect to her, "just in case" he says. They are fixing everything in a very logical way- planning for the worst but praying for the best. This is good, I understand this, even though it breaks my heart that as newlyweds they are having to do this. mecry

I called them earlier this week and he was at work. Kari tried to sound happy but burst into tears when she told me he was getting his things together, ready to go. I'm sorry but I joined her, so we both had a good cry. I've told her that if she gets too where she feels like the walls are closing in to load up her mother and grab a suitcase and come here, I will pay for her gas to and from. I don't know any words to ease her fears, I carried the same fears with his first deployment, and have again taken up the yoke of those fears on one side and my constant prayers for his platoons safety on the other side.

I would love to go see them before he has to leave but my health problems have gotten worse and just going back and forth to the doctors puts me in agony. stretcher

I guess what I'm asking is will you ladies pleased add the Red Horse Platoon to your prayers? praying I alwyas pray for the good Lord to hold them in his hands and keep them safe and to help them all return to their families in His way. Any hints on how to help ease Kari's mind would be a blessing also, maybe it will help ease mine too.

Karen, my heart goes out to you and your family; I don't know what to suggest to make this any easier other than to put your son into the Lord's capable hands and ask His protection for your son and comfort, peace and strength for his wife and for all of your family. God is in control; be assured of that.

I'll be praying for you all... prayingbighug

• 2 months later...

Prayers, hugs and God's blessings to you, your son and his new wife. This may not help ease yours or your daughte-in-law's anxiety, but, I was born while my Dad was serving in the Korean "conflict." Dad came home, safe and sound and he and Mom gave me five siblings after that! Maybe you two could keep busy knitting and sewing for all those future grandbabies!

We pray he comes through safely. My soon to be brother in law is also over there. In fact the wedding was all planned and he was called back to Irag so they put off the wedding.

HUGS3-1.gif Karen, I'm sorry to hear he has to go back again.

I just saw that I hadn't posted in here. I'm sure I had tried to but, it may have been one of those time it didn't post.

I'll be SENDINGPRAYERS-1.jpg from here for you, your son, DIL and the troops.

We all need to keep all of the service people in our prayers.

Please keep us updated.

HUGS5-1.gif

• 3 months later...

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to say that he will be in my prayers too.

I also wanted to say thank you to YOU! Aside from supporting your son while he is deployed, you are also supporting his wife. Very few "MIL" can focus their energies on worrying not only about their child, but their son's wife.

I am unfortunate enough to have a MIL that likes to call me and tell me "deployments are harder on me as his mother then on you, you're just his wife." It takes a great person to look to how they can help others who are hurting in the same situation as they are and not use it for attention on themselves.

So thank YOU again! I wish more people in your situation could be as supporting to the wives as you are!

As far as keeping Kari feeling better, keep her motivated with different ideas for care packages and things she can make and do for him. Not only will it give her something to do and look foward to, but it will be something he will love too. I have a lot of ideas that I have used that I will be glad to share!

I agree Lexi, but its going to be reversed for my son, hes getting discharged on a medical but his fiance and both his twin brothers ( from a second marriage of their dad), are both either there or will be there soon.

I havent gotten a chance to even meet my sons fiance, but shes awesome to my sons eyes and I know they do so well together, I certainly will have her in my prayers, as are his brothers.

To me they are all relatives and each is important and has their feelings and concerns about things. Im a veteran but I was lucky, I served during peacetime, but saw the first of the middle eastern terrorism develop. Was also a security guard on teh front gate out in China Lake NWC the day the Gulf war started in 91. I have always cared about those who have gone to war zones, having early on learned about Viet Nam, and it just continues. In my own area I advocate for mental health needs in folks and plenty are veterans. In this area we are working on getting more housing, developing 12 step housing and housing that is suitable for single veterans coming home that need housing. Luckily funds are there to be used, as well as for other things like broadening public transportation which is very lacking. But there are alot of levels of bureaucracy and paperwork and finding places suitable. Also to get them help to get the resources and services available.

It is great to see people get through these difficulties and feel they belong again in a community. It is good to see people learn coping skills and ways of doing things in healthy ways and to have a close knit group available to them. One does not see that very often, and I have alot of gratitude for the ones I know.

My son was in Desert Storm - a member of an tank crew. A neighbor came over one day shortly after he was deployed and handed me a copy of a scripture that gave me so much help and hope. I read it every day he was there! Someone may have already posted it; but, just in case they haven't, I will print it here. May it give you hope and peace to your soul and to your soldier (I sent a copy to my son and he told me it was just what he needed.)

Psalm 91 -

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence.

He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.

A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.

You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.

If you make the Most High your dwelling - even the Lord, who is my refuge - then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent.

For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

"Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges My name. He will call upon Me; and I will answer him. I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him, with long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."

Archived