MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Now a Marine Mom too

mommato3boys

Our oldest is in the Army and our youngest son that is a senior in high school went and enlisted in the Marine Reserves yesterday. He is going to have to delay college a semester. He ships out to basic-AIT and MOS training on 6/16. Thank goodness his recruiter is going to pick him up and take him to Raleigh. I just don't think I can take my baby to the induction center and leave him. I cried all the way from Montgomery, AL back to the west side B'ham, AL (2 hour drive) when we dropped our oldest off bawling like a baby the whole way. Good thing I wasn't driving I would have been stopped for sure.

First of all, Congratulations on your son. He has joined a true band of brothers.

The night before our son left for Camp Lejeune, he had to stay at a motel with the other new recruits. He was so ansty that night, and my husband and I didn't sleep well after we left him. However, the next a.m. at the induction center, he was calm and ready to go. We spoke to a recruiter (and former D.I) and he said he promised us that the Marines would take very good care of our son; and he would return in even better shape.He was right. Our son came home our same son, but an improved version.

Boot camp is rough, but very necessary. I made sure to write him a letter everyday, so he could have something at mailcall.

If you ever need to talk, let me know.

I too sent a son to Parris Island Summer Camp for Young'uns. Rest assured he will be carefully and gently watched over by caring and sensitive trainers. He will he guided gently through the course of study and carefully guided and corrected when he errs. He shall be given a fine bed to sleep in and there will be daily activities to keep his mind occupied. They have outdoor activities like nature hikes, rope climbing and they will learn how to avoid such things as nooxious gasses. He can rest assured that across the bay at Hilton Head people are enjoying the same sun and warmth, but they have to pay huge amounts of money for such things that the Marines will provide to your son with no cost and will actually give him some spending money to enjoy the many seconds of free time he will enjoy. They will give him clothing and good food also as part of the deal. Once he makes it all they way through they hold a special ceremony celebrating the end of camp. Dress is very formal and there will be a band. Remember your camera. Also remember plenty of kleenex as this ceremony has been known to bring the biggest and roughest men to tears as they see their child accomplish probably the most spectacular achievment of their lives. Something only 1/10 of 1% of the population can say.

He will be a Marine.

OMB, I as I sit here and type this I can look over my shoulder and see a picture of my husband pinning my oldest son's blue cord on his Army uniform at graduation from boot camp, big old fat tears streaming down his face and my soon is grinning like a opossem.

This is something my husband was never able to do. When he was 7 years old he had a bain tumor, they were able to remove it but it affected his eye sight and no branch of the military would touch him with a 10 foot pole. I think this was his greatest disappointment in life. He had so hoped to follow in his dad's foot steps. My fil was a marine and was part of Merrill's Marauders.

I do not look forward to the day that I hug my baby boy good-bye but I know this is what he wants, I had just hoped he would do college first then Marines.

Moma-4, Have you son to move his go time to Sept. July at PI is terribly hot. I went in 17 Sept and we only had 2-3 no outside (intensive)activity days. We drove through PI a few yrs back on the way back from Savannah,Ga. Sure looks different from inside an air conditioned caddy. OMB, where did you get those "few seconds of free time"--LOL. Joking aside, he will have assigned time each night to write home, polish his brass, clean his rifle, wash everything, and devour the Marine Corps Manual. Have him to start a good regimen of exercises-NOW. Have him running every other day for many miles, doing at least 100 side straddle hops, millions(lol) of push ups/sit ups, and climbing stadium seats with a heavy back pack. Then there are always the "duck walking" games some DIs like, holding your arms out with your rifle on top of your hands, and learning to listen intently to every sylable someone says. LOL, if he ever wants "personal" attention have him to drop his rifle or call the DI "Sarge"--a guarenteed attention getter.

If at all possible get your son to get at least an AS(two yr. degree)under his belt prior to going in. He will be given an occupational testing upon enlisting that will determine where he goes(they will tell you that you can pick your career--yeah,sure).

When your son stands in formation at graduation it will be his proudest moment for he will have accomplished quite a feat. Then he is off to probably Jacksonville, NC for another few months of training. We are three hours away if he wants a home cooked meal some weekend, hunting, or just a place to sit still with his feet up/glass of tea/home made cake.

Mighty proud of your son as I know you are. Just have him to physically prepare and life will be much easier at his future coastal resort experience amoung the beautiful Palm trees and gentle breezes. Tell him not to be bothering our sweet sand fleas or their cousins,brothers,sisters,aunts,uncles,grand parents, or their relations--the mosquitos. Really the mosquitos are not that bad but he will have a great new appreciation of being able to scratch when he wants to.

He will be tested on the MC manual regularly so if he can get copy ahead and study, it will be an asset. A nomaclature manual of the M-16 and other weapons will help also.

He will do fine but don't ever write anything mushy or "sweet" for he may have to stand in front of the squad bay and read it to the entire platoon--hey, it cannot all be work--need some humor somewhere. Oh yes, NEVER send candy, gum, or sweets. We had one gent who got sent a false bottom package with candy in it. The DIs took up money from everyone, bought a pile of candy, and he ate it all-probably fifty bars. He threw up a few times but when he finished I bet he has never eaten a bar since.

When he gets back please put him online with you so we can say howdy. Don't forget to make sure he is physically prepared--sweat now or sweat later in pain. It is worth it!! wc

-06 he can't move his training. As it is now he has to delay starting college until the spring semester. He graduates high school on June 6 we will leave the following day to make a quick run to Bham so he can see his grandmother before shipping out on the 12th. DarleneSwoon He will have 12 weeks of basic then some other training (don't know what the Marines call it but the Army calls it AIT) then he will have 10 days off then he will go back for his MOS training and not get back until sometime late December, just in time to pack up his college stuff and move into the dorm. Classes begin Wednesday, Jan 7th. Sometime in there he has got to be home long enough to go car shopping. He must have wheels once his MOS is over so he can do that one weekend a month two weeks in the summer.

Since we already live in NC and he worked on the grounds crew here at the college last summer and had football training and practice every day after work I think he will survive. He's a southern boy through and through... he loves hot weather and the beach.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Ambergris
My older son graduated from Parris Island a year ago and is in Okinawa now. It's a tough subject to discuss, sometimes.

bighug I know how you feel. DS#3 informed me this weekend he has 77 days left eekDarleneSwoon I think I am going to be sick sick

My boy, who can be a tad stubborn, found out that even though he was utterly unprepared for the physical requirements, they just shuffled him to the side and let him keep exercising until he was ready. He had to put up with five months on Parris Island, but he finally graduated. If your boy has a problem and insists he can get past it if given time, the Marines will give him time. It's the attitude problems they tend to reject.

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

Yes, it is hard to see our young men and women go to the service, but we all thank them for doing this.

Our son just retired at the end of Jan. after 20 years.

We all just need to keep all of the service people in our praying . thblessthemall.gif :usaflag2:

HUGS34.gifHAVEAGOODDAY.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Our DAUGHTER joined the Army after 9-11 at age 31! She had a husband and two sons. It was a difficult decision for our whole family but we were so proud of her! Graduation from Boot Camp in SC was tearful as we knew what the future was going to hold for her. She served in Iraq and has now completed her 5 years! Safe and somewhat sound. She endured so many things it is just impossible to comprehend. We will remember your son in our prayers and we are thankful to him for his service, and to you Mom for your sacrifice too! I think of all those dear sons and daughters daily and hearing the signing of God Bless America will never be taken for granted by me ever again! 9-11 changed me in ways that I could not have ever comprehended that September morning. Prayers to you and your son - to all our sons and daughters serving.

Archived