MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fall Get Together

Darlene

It's been a while since we've talked about the Fall get together up here in the Blue Ridge Mountains of northern Georgia...

Now that I think about it...I'm gonna order a BUNCH of meat chicks and let westie and mother do a class on butchering chickens...I get dressed chickens, y'all can learn how to butcher the old fashioned way.

darlene

I am just SO smart...sometimes I just amaze myself...rofl

Anyway, we decided on October because it is just so breathtakingly beautiful up here in the mountains with the fall colors. The weather is still beautiful, the Apple Festival will be going on up here, and a lot of other things.

For those that are newer to the site and aren't aware, we're planning on having a MrsSurvival Get Together at my place in October. I have plenty of land here, a house and a guest house, hotels close by, so however anyone wants to camp out is fine by me.

We plan on having many different 'teaching' type classes to learn different things...from self defense to butchering, home canning, and a bunch of other things I can't remember off hand (come on y'all, help me out here lol).

Anyway, I figured we'd set a hard date, get an idea of people that are still interested (I'm not looking for concrete commitments yet unless you can make one, just people that might be interested).

If you're not familiar with the area (Blue Ridge, Georgia), here's a nice site that shows alot of different things about this area:

http://www.blueridgemountains.com/

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put me down for two folks. Here are some suggestions from back last year of what some wanted to see or do and some could teach. I just sniped the high points.

*Go to drive-in movie (one of three left in the state, as posted elsewhere )

*Apple Festival?

*Apron (maybe hold a contest for biggest, fanciest, most useful?? - provided Darlene and Westie don't run off with ALL the prizes

*Favorite campfire song - be ready to teach it!

Tin foil hats- (maybe hold a contest for biggest, fanciest, most useful?? - provided Darlene and Westie don't run off with ALL the prizes!)

There's whitewater rafting nearby where the Atlanta Olympics held their kayaking events. Class IV rapids.

COOKOFF!!!!

1st annual Freechirp/Darlene POTATO salad contest.

barn raising

How about craft/skill demonstrations/casual lectures from those proficient in a particular field? (canning, butchering, gardening, assorted needlework, herbal medicine, first aid, etc)

And what about some sort of "Turkey Shoot" or whatever you call a firearm contest?

A wilderness survival field (day) trip?

I could teach mountain lawnmowing!

I would love to watch & learn how to can meats!

I can teach dutch oven cooking

I can knit, crochet

I can do a seminar/workshop on amateur distilling.

knit a sock

canning

turkey shoot

dog training

butcher somethin'

campfire songs

herbal & wildcrafting stuff

potato salad taste-testing

fishing

Martial arts-type self-defense moves?

crocheting

knitting

tatting w/needle

use of knitting nancy and how to make one

sewing and adapting patterns

texture look painting (walls and floors)

embrordery

needle point

crewel

rug making (latch hook, crocheting, braiding)

I cook

fire building

cooking on open fire

use of knitting nancy and how to make one

wormie

John

Golly Miss Molly.

I want to be there so badly.

But I am quite sure that the Curmudgeon...er, I mean: HSdad...would give birth to a porcupine, breech presentation (bonus points to anyone who knows where that illustration comes from).

I'd eviserate - and give an anatomy/physiology lesson in the process, but I will not pluck.

But I don't think I'll be there.

bighug

I will be giving classes on..

how to sit on the porch, feet up.. snoozin'... I will have my little bell to ring to get my coffee refilled.

I will be teaching how to point and laugh.. like a lady mind you!

at all of goings on!

This class will start when I get up and last until I go to bed!

wave DH and I toooooo, though it will depend on the price of gasoline for the 8 MPG motor home we'd be coming in...... eek

I would like to volunteer to be Westy's assistant teacher, please. Her and I are going to talk outside kitchens. grin I will even let her have all my chocolate.

PSSSTTT...Darlene, you better tell FB that even if he's not posting MOTHER still gets a hug!!!!!!! And I'd still like that potato salad cookoff and I think he owes me a rootbeer float. Darn kid anyhow... running (mother goes off mumbling)

bighug

If the economy doesn't tank, I would love to meet all of you. I need to get to Atlanta anyway, and it looks as though you all would only be a few hours drive away.

Besides, someone needs to teach all of you Easteners how to make REAL potato salad!

lol @ Andrea...well we can figure you in on the potato salad cookoff too...

See? Westie didn't even realized I already have her trained...she 'thinks' she's gonna be sitting on the front porch...

That's exactly what I want her to think.

Till she gets here, that is.

darlene

Darlene, lots of folks usually come to our fall gatherings but maybe a change of location would be nice. Will ask at our spring gathering in April and see if they would like to visit the mts this fall. Sounds nice except for the porch monkey princess-evil snicker. Hope many can come in April 4-5-6 to NC. Similiar aggenda with lots of good stuff to learn/share. We have a real nice BBQ Sat. evening that just tickles the innards. That and home made six layer chocolate cake among other desserts make the day. Will E you Darlene about your dates, wc

Well we will have a semi-sort of empty nest...only college students and only one living at home. He doesn't do the dorm life. We might as well have an empty nest I never know when he is home and when he is not. I cook if he is there he eats if not he warms up left overs when he is home....so if the Lord willing and the creek don't rise Saints Fan and I will be there with our tent and camp stove oh and our bucket so we don't have to find the outhouse in the middle of the night ashamed

Just saw this.

I would LOVE to come and learn a few things. I'm already pretty good at the butchering chickens thing but I'm willing to help.

I'll check dh's signing tour schedule. His new book comes out Oct. 21. Maybe he'll be in Georgia this time around. I know he's beginning with a store on the west coast but don't know more than that at this point in the game.

I'll be watching for more details. I've got a couple of friends in my home school group that might want to come too. We're all so like minded it's a bit frightening.

Archived