MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fall Get Together

Darlene

I told westie I was going to buy 50 chickens and 10 turkeys to raise...12 ladies for eggs, 3 roosters to fight between themselves, and the rest for the freezer and eventually the table.

Westie BEGGED AND BEGGED AND BEGGED for me to wait and butcher the chickens for when we have the get together.

*sigh*

I hate to wait, but hey, I'm here to serve darlene , so chickens will be ONE of the things we take from pasture to table.

Don't blame me, blame westie. I'm the innocent one.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL I thought you said you wanted to see Westie kicking DOWN the front DOOR! I was thinking "I guess Darlene was trying to hide chocolate LOL"

LOL now I'm seeing Westie in my head all :trip: chocobunqueen

oh and anyone wanting to come to this...

check the prices from your area to Atlanta, Ga! then... estimate how much you need each month to pay for it..

start putting grocery money away for this... eat beans several times a week!

need recipes for meals that only cost a few cents? I can stretch a chicken out into several meals!!! ending with soup filled with a few left over vegetables and noodles! how about chili?

tell your husbands or wife that you are practicing making meals in the event of a SHTF scenario!

• 1 month later...

I have a book called The Heirloom Garden, by Carolyn Jabs. If I can make it to the get-together, I'll be bringing this and some other books that I simply don't use but can't stand the idea of tossing.

If I can't make it, I might need a shipping address.

Don't know if this point if I can make it, but I sure would like to. At the rate gas prices keep going up it might be tight. My brother pointed out I might swing by and see my new neice or nephew (baby is due any day now. Don't know what they are having.)on the way as you are just a short trip to Louisiana where they are stationed. I may not get to see my nephew as he isn't due back from Iraq until November...but who knows.. He could come back early and his wife and baby will be there. He is right. Once I come all the way from Ohio, they are only a little further ( several hours that is to Ft. Polk), so maybe if I do I can slip in seeing them too while I drive down there. I will have to see what I can come up with but with moving who knows if I will be able to save enough. All my money has been being saved to move as it is right now. I sure want to go though.

What a great idea - DH and I will try to come unless we have to sell a child to buy the gas! Actually, since whoever is doing that Porch Class would undoubtedly need an experienced Assistant Bell Ringer, I will volunteer to do that job! As a "General" I have a lot of experience pointing and tell others what to do while I repose, read and sip a cold drink (diet Pepsi in my famous Purple Cup). Hope to see/meet many of you there.

My long lost sister must be General Mom..."diet pepsi in a purple cup". rofl

I type this as I am sipping my diet pepsi, which is in a big purple insulated mug, which is ALWAYS within arm reach.

I think we're planning this for the 2nd or 3rd week in October.

I'll confirm the Apple Festival dates up here and we'll pick the weekend that will work best for everyone.

Well I plan to make it...I know how to pluck a chicken...so no need to attend that class, would love to learn how to use the 150 pounds of dutch ovens I have, and never used..gotta be seasoned too..

I plan to bring a bunch of weapons if shooting is allowed...I am pretty good at teaching it, mostly women are the best students cos they have no testosteron to get in the way of learning.... rofl

I happen to make a [censored] good potato salad if I say so myself...and yea I don't put no onions in it...suffer!

since the porch will be full I will be down by the pond.. camping and ruminatin.

mostly just want to smell the coffee on the fire and watch the stars..

Sorry I don't do much with all the things Wormy mentioned...I can survive but never tried to tell somebody how to...

I guess mayhem is my line.....sorry...guess that don't fit the picture very well but that's ok...I can learn...

mostly meetin folks of a mind is best about it...I could haul a big cooler of frozen lake trout for yawl to can up...pretty good stuff.. can it and take it home with ya..

what is the date? I need to be back in MT when hunting season starts..middle of oct more or less...plan to fill the freezer this year...

hmm sounds kinda lame huh??? oh well...scoot over Westy...

• 1 month later...

Archived