MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darlene

Ephesians 5:8-11

Heavenly Father,

I just have this desperate, desperate need to be close to You this morning Lord. I'm learning that the time I spend talking with You, walking with You, is where I feel the safest, and that's something I've always wanted and needed, but never truly found...that need to be safe, until You.

I dunno Lord...I don't really have much to say or offer, but You do. So I just ask that the words that proceed from here by annointed by Your Spirit and sprung into life so that Your truth might pierce the most closed heart, because You love us.

8. For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light;

Calvin shares, "For ye were once darkness. The precepts which immediately follow derive greater weight from the motives with which they are mingled. Having spoken of unbelievers, and warned the Ephesians not to become partakers of their crimes and their destruction, he argues still further, that they ought to differ widely from the life and conduct of those men. At the same time, in order to guard them against ingratitude to God, he refreshes their remembrance of their own past life. “You ought,” he says, “to be very different persons from what you formerly were; for out of darkness God hath made you light.” Darkness is the name here given to the whole nature of man before regeneration; for, where the brightness of God does not shine, there is nothing but fearful darkness. Light, again, is the name given to those who are enlightened by the Spirit of God; for immediately afterwards in the same sense, he calls them children of light, and draws the inference, that they ought to walk in light, because by the mercy of God they had been rescued from darkness. Observe here, we are said to be light in the Lord, because, while we are out of Christ, all is under the dominion of Satan, whom we know to be the Prince of darkness."

I know that darkness Lord, and I never want to go back. Each step I take towards growing closer to You, the more Your light illuminates my heart and mind, and that resolve to never go back gets more and more cemented.

Clarke comments, "For ye were sometimes (pote, formerly) darkness] While ye lived in darkness, ye lived in these crimes.

But now are ye light in the Lord] When ye were in heathenish darkness ye served divers lusts and pleasures, but now ye have the light - the wisdom and teaching which come from God; therefore walk as children of the light - let the world see that ye are not slaves to the flesh, but free, willing, rational servants of the Most High; not brutish followers of devil gods."

I like that...'free, willing, rational servants'...cause that's how I feel. I give myself to Him freely and willingly and if anything, I'm more rational now than I was in the past lolol...

Henry writes, " Consider what obligations Christians are under to live at another rate than such sinners do: For you were sometimes darkness, but now, &c., v. 8. The meaning is, "Such courses are very unsuitable to your present condition; for, whereas in your Gentile and your unregenerate state you were darkness, you have now undergone a great change." The apostle calls their former condition darkness in the abstract, to express the great darkness they were in. They lived wicked and profane lives, being destitute of the light of instruction without and of the illumination and grace of the blessed Spirit within. Note, A state of sin is a state of darkness. Sinners, like men in the dark, are going they know not whither, and doing they know not what."

9. (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, and righteousness, and truth;)

Calvin shares, "For the fruit of the light. This parenthesis is introduced, to point out the road in which the children of light ought to walk. A complete description is not given, but a few parts of a holy and pious life are introduced by way of example. To give them a general view of duty, their attention is again directed to the will of God. Whoever desires to live in a proper and safe manner, let him resolve to obey God, and to take his will as the rule. To regulate life entirely by his command is, as he says in another Epistle, a reasonable service, (Romans 12:1,) or, as another inspired man expresses it, To obey is better than sacrifice. (1 Samuel 15:22.) I wonder how the word Spirit (πνεὐματος) has crept into many Greek manuscripts, as the other reading is more consistent, — the fruit of the light Paul’s meaning indeed is not affected; for in either case it will be this, that believers must walk in the light, because they are “children of the light.” This is done, when they do not live according to their own will, but devote themselves entirely to obedience to God, — when they undertake nothing but by his command. Besides, such obedience is testified by its fruits, such as goodness, righteousness, and truth."

I've never really done well with the word 'obedience'...my heart just always rebels against it. I don't like feeling forced, I don't like having to do some things because of 'obedience'...I have always just had issues with it, and I can't explain exactly why, it just is...

So, for me, how God has been working with my personality and how He's created me, is that He's put this desperate hunger in my heart to know more about Him, to be closer to Him. I know that these deperate cries of my heart move His heart and He is drawing me closer...I can sense and feel it and I see it manifested in factual ways in my life that I never have before. So as this craving for more of Him grows each day, I find myself WANTING to be more obedient (who'd have thunk that lol), wanting to stay within His guidelines, wanting to please Him...afraid (and not afraid in a bad way, but afraid because I don't want to lose this closeness I have with Him now) to flippantly and casually throw all this work He is doing in my life (and I like this work He's doing), back into the gutter like I have in the past. My heart just can't bear the thought of seperation from Him again, it hurts to even contemplate it. So that's what drives me, that's what makes me want to be obedient, because I want Him more than I want anything in this world.

Clarke comments, "For the fruit of the Spirit] Instead of Spirit, pneumatov, ABD*EFG, the Syriac, Coptic, Sahidic, AEthiopic, Armenian, Vulgate, and Itala, together with several of the fathers, read fwtov, light, which is supposed by most critics to be the true reading, because there is no mention made of the Spirit in any part of the context. As light, ver. 8, not only means the Divine influence upon the soul, but also the Gospel, with great propriety it may be said: The fruit of the light, i.e. of the Gospel, is in all goodness, and righteousness, and truth. Goodness, agaqwsunh, in the principle and disposition; righteousness, dikaiosunh, the exercise of that goodness in the whole conduct of life; truth, alhqeia, the director of that principle, and its exercise, to the glorification of God and the good of mankind."

Henry writes, "But the grace of God had produced a mighty change in their souls: Now are you light in the Lord, savingly enlightened by the word and the Spirit of God. Now, upon your believing in Christ, and your receiving the gospel. Walk as children of light. Children of light, according to the Hebrew dialect, are those who are in a state of light, endued with knowledge and holiness. If we would not be entangled by the lusts of the flesh, we must bring forth the fruits of the Spirit, v. 9. This is expected from the children of light, that, being illuminated, they be also sanctified by the Spirit, and thereupon bring forth his fruit, which is in all goodness, an inclination to do good and to show mercy, and righteousness, which signifies justice in our dealings. Thus they are taken more strictly; but, more generally, all religion is goodness and righteousness. "

10. Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

Calvin has no commentary on this verse.

Clarke comments, "Proving what is acceptable] By walking in the light-under the influence of the Divine Spirit, according to the dictates of the Gospel, ye shall be able to try, and bring to full proof, that by which God is best pleased. Ye shall be able to please him well in all things."

Henry writes, "Now, being such, let your conversation be suitable to your condition and privileges, and accordingly live up to the obligation you are under by that knowledge and those advantages you enjoy—Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord (v. 10), examining and searching diligently what God has revealed to be his will, and making it appear that you approve it by conforming yourselves to it." Observe, We must not only dread and avoid that which is displeasing to God, but enquire and consider what will be acceptable to him, searching the scriptures with this view, thus keeping at the greatest distance from these sins."

11. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them

Calvin writes, "And have no fellowship. As “the children of light” dwell amidst the darkness, or, in other words, in the midst of “a perverse and crooked generation,” (Deuteronomy 32:5,) — there is good reason for warning them to keep themselves apart from wicked actions. It is not enough that we do not, of our own accord, undertake anything wicked. We must beware of joining or assisting those who do wrong. In short, we must abstain from giving any consent, or advice, or approbation, or assistance; for in all these ways we have fellowship. And lest any one should imagine that he has done his duty, merely by not conniving, he adds, but rather reprove them. Such a course is opposed to all dissimulation. Where a manifest offense is committed against God, every man will be eager to vindicate himself from any share in the guilt, but very few will guard against connivance; nearly all will practice some kind of dissimulation. But rather than the truth of God shall not remain unshaken, let a hundred worlds perish.

The word ἐλέγχειν, which is translated reprove, answers to the metaphor of darkness; for it literally signifies to drag forth to the light what was formerly unknown. As ungodly men flatter themselves in their vices, (Psalm 36:2,) and wish their crimes to be concealed, or to be reckoned virtues, Paul enjoins that they shall be reproved. He calls them unfruitful; because they not only do no good, but are absolutely hurtful."

Clarke comments, "Have no fellowship] Have no religious connection whatever with heathens or their worship.

Unfruitful works of darkness] Probably alluding to the mysteries among the heathens, and the different lustrations and rites through which the initiated went in the caves and dark recesses where these mysteries were celebrated; all which he denominates works of darkness, because they were destitute of true wisdom; and unfruitful works, because they were of no use to mankind; the initiated being obliged, on pain of death, to keep secret what they had seen, heard, and done: hence they were called aporrhta musthria, unspeakable mysteries - things that were not to be divulged.

That the apostle may refer to magic and incantations is also probable, for to these the Ephesians were greatly addicted. See the proofs in the notes on Acts xix. 19.

Rather reprove them.] Bear a testimony against them; convince them that they are wrong; confute them in their vain reasons; reprove them for their vices, which are flagrant, while pretending to superior illumination. All these meanings has the Greek word elegcw, which we generally render to convince or reprove."

Henry writes, "We must have no fellowship with sin nor sinners, v. 11. Sinful works are works of darkness: they come from the darkness of ignorance, they seek the darkness of concealment, and they lead to the darkness of hell. These works of darkness are unfruitful works; there is nothing got by them in the long run, whatever profit is pretended by sin, it will by no means balance the loss; for it issues in the utter ruin and destruction of the impenitent sinner. We must therefore have no fellowship with these unfruitful works; as we must not practise them ourselves, so we must not countenance others in the practice of them. There are many ways of our being accessary to the sins of others, by commendation, counsel, consent, or concealment. And, if we share with others in their sin, we must expect to share with them in their plagues. Nay, if we thus have fellowship with them, we shall be in the utmost danger of acting as they do ere long. But, rather than have fellowship with them, we must reprove them, implying that if we do not reprove the sins of others we have fellowship with them. We must prudently and in our places witness against the sins of others, and endeavour to convince them of their sinfulness, when we can do it seasonably and pertinently, in our words; but especially by the holiness of our lives, and a religious conversation. Reprove their sins by abounding in the contrary duties."

Father,

I'm having a hard time at the moment going any further with this study. Ziya is now missing and she is my heartbeat. I don't understand why all of a sudden my dogs are coming up missing but I'm asking You for Your grace and mercy to bring them back home.

I feel as if the enemy is trying to strike my heart where it's most sensitive and I just refuse to take my sites off of You.

In Jesus Name,

((((((((((((((((((Darlene)))))))))))))))))

Quote:
I feel as if the enemy is trying to strike my heart where it's most sensitive and I just refuse to take my sites off of You.

STAND on that!!!

MtRider mecry

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.