MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Let's see how everyone's memories are...

Darlene

Wow.

I thought for sure some motormouth would jump in real fast and give the correct answer...

Nobody remembers how I started...*pout*

lolol

Originally Posted By: Darlene
Wow.

I thought for sure some motormouth would jump in real fast and give the correct answer...

Nobody remembers how I started...*pout*

lolol

Sorry deary but that was before my time. Although knowing you it probably was some canning or cooking forum.

WELL, Drat, I couldn't even find it by going back to look at Darlene's posts cause our web site ONLY gives us 16 pages of a persons's post and Darlene had THAT many this year alread.

So I go back and check out the Kitchen and the preserving forums and they goes back a LONG ways, to 2002 but I'm pretty sure that Darlene was a mod before that time???? Besides, the mess up we had with the forum at one point gives me all SORTS of different names to look at.

Then there was another SMALL problem. That was, once I got reading in those back posts I couldn't get OUT!!!!!! Wow, has anyone gone back to look at some of those? A wealth of info in those archives. Now I KNOW I'm NEVER going to get off this computer and I STILL don't know what forum Darlene FIRST was mod in. Big sigh, oh well, I can keep busy while I'm waiting to find out. grin

bighug

Originally Posted By: Mother
Then there was another SMALL problem. That was, once I got reading in those back posts I couldn't get OUT!!!!!! Wow, has anyone gone back to look at some of those? A wealth of info in those archives. Now I KNOW I'm NEVER going to get off this computer and I STILL don't know what forum Darlene FIRST was mod in. Big sigh, oh well, I can keep busy while I'm waiting to find out. grin

I'm too new to know...but, I know what you mean Mother...when I start bumping stuff up it's because I went back to page 1 of a forum and can't believe the good info...
Originally Posted By: Momo
I was there but I don't remember...

Maybe she had the "Feather Boa" or "Dancing Princess" forum....

I wanted that forum, but you were a piglet and stole it away from me and wouldn't share.

*sigh* I forgave you though...just like I always do. darlene

lol

Well, I'll give y'all a little more time...the only reason I thought of this question was because I was in that forum yesterday and started remembering how I started out back in 1999. I was just curious if anyone remembered was all.

OK... to give everyone a bit of perspective.

Mrs Survival has been around since 1998, I believe. It was being hosted by other various servers, run by different people, but it's been "alive" since then in one form or another. One server, at least, would "kill" off old posts as they "fell off" at the back, so they would be lost. At one point the server or something crashed, completely obliterating *all* those precious posts. We started over.

In 1999, Darlene had not started canning by herself... she may have dabbled by helping her Grandma and/or Mother, but she wasn't a canner.

In 1999, Darlene hadn't gardened. She started that in her back yard in 2004.

One of the first "Weeeeeeeeeeeee" threads

starting out

(See page 12 and newer of "Nature's Bounty"... she's one of the "Anonymous" because of the glitch (as well as others). Homey and I teased her unmercifully. happy02 )

In 1999, Darlene knew kids, cooking, and religion. Oh... and sassiness, sashaying, silliness, and spunk. happy02

She's learned running the site, dealing with difficult people, raising teenagers, homesteading, canning, gardening, and the rest by the sheer strength of her indomitable will.

:yourewelcome:

May 11th of 1998 is when Jackie started MrsS. I found it January of 1999 and bought it July of 1999 after an online war between 2 factions of people, which literally tore the site in half and they all left. I think that the only person who stayed outta that war and was still here when almost everyone had left, was motherearth. Some people had been offline for the summer and when they got back, they were concerned and cautious, but I believed back then, and still believe today that God has eternal purposes with this site and no group of people are going to stop His plans here.

At that point, I only canned tomatoes, as taught me by my mother. In 1999, I started canning meats, strawberry jam and other things for Y2K. I quit canning when I had my house fire for a couple of years, then got back into it. When my grandmother died, I went hog wild on canning and have been there ever since. So, when I bought the site, I knew kids, cooking, suburbian living, hurricanes, prepping in the big cities and the Lord. What I didn't know back then was how to do alot of these things from the foundation...raising foods, whether in a garden or livestock. I didn't know how traumatic online relationships could be...I didn't know how cruel people could be, how untrustworthy, etc online that some could behave. Conversely, as with most things in life, I learned there there really are a few diamonds in the midst of the garbage dump and those 'diamonds' are what shored me up, stood in the gap, and helped me through these major learning curves.

But, with all that said, the first forum I ever had was "Where the Heart Is". I had approached Jackie back early in 1999 because God had laid on my heart the need for a forum that could talk about walking a life with Him. She was very excited when I proposed it to her and was kind enough to open it up (although it was called something else back then). That's the reason I'm still listed as a Moderator on that particular forum even though I don't have enough time to do as much in there as I'd like. I keep my position there because I'm very sentimental, and it's how I started out at MrsS all those years ago. Streams in the Desert came into being after we closed down our MrsS Christian site...I decided to bring a specific forum for Christians to share in, into the main site.

Anyway, I had just been in the Where's the Heart forum the other day, when I remembered the humble beginnings, and was just curious if anyone else knew or remembered how I started out here.

bow A thousand apologies, Darlene... I remember the "jumping-in-with-both-feet" posts about canning. And I never meant to neglect the rest you mentioned.

You have been an awe-inspiring example and an inspiration.

bouquet

Archived