MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darlene

Ephesians 6:21-24

Heavenly Father,

Well, we made it...

Today is the last installment of this Ephesians study that You birthed all those months ago. As I sat here this morning contemplating doing the last few verses of Ephesians, I realized that today would be the perfect day to do that...because today is the day You chose all those years ago to bring me into this world, to give me life. Today is my birthday so I think it would be kinda special to finish Ephesians on this day...

I'm feeling kinda emotional today Lord...I'm sure for various reasons. I'm sure some of this goes hand in hand with getting older, seeing things differently, understanding things on a deeper level, but if I can have one 'present' today, then I'd like for today to be an exceptionally close and intimate day with You...my Lord and Savior, my God and King, my Holy Father whom I have been falling in love with more and more each day.

Bless this study today Father, as we wrap it up. And thank You for being Who You are.

21. But that ye also may know my affairs, and how I do, Tychicus, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, shall make known to you all things:

Clarke comments, "That ye also] As well as other Churches to whom I have communicated the dealings both of God and man to me.

May know my affairs] May be acquainted with my situation and circumstances.

And how I do] How I employ my time, and what fruit there is of my apostolical labours.

Tychicus, a beloved brother] We learn, from Acts xx. 4, that Tychicus was of Asia, and that he was a useful companion of St. Paul. See the note on the above place.

This same person, and with the same character and commendation, is mentioned in the Epistle to the Colossians, Col. iv. 7. He is mentioned also in Tit. iii. 12, and in 2 Tim. iv. 12; from all these places it is evident that he was a person in whom the apostle had the highest confidence, and that he was a very eminent minister of Christ."

Henry writes, "He recommends Tychicus unto them, v. 21, 22. He sent him with this epistle, that he might acquaint them with what other churches were informed of, namely, how he did, and what he did; how he was used by the Romans in his bonds, and how he behaved himself in his present circumstances. It is desirable to good ministers both that their Christian friends should know their state and that they should be acquainted with the condition of their friends; for by this means they may the better help each other in their prayers.—And that he might comfort their hearts, by giving such an account of his sufferings, of the cause of them, and of the temper of his mind and his behaviour under them, as might prevent their fainting at his tribulations and even minister matter of joy and thanksgiving unto them. He tells them that Tychicus was a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord. He was a sincere Christian, and so a brother in Christ: he was a faithful minister in the work of Christ, and he was very dear to Paul, which makes Paul's love to these Christian Ephesians the more observable, in that he should now part with so good and dear a friend for their sakes, when his company and conversation must have been peculiarly delightful and serviceable to himself. But the faithful servants of Jesus Christ are wont to prefer the public good to their own private or personal interests."

Calvin states, "But that, ye also may know. Uncertain or false reports frequently produce uneasiness, chiefly, no doubt, in weak minds, but sometimes also in thoughtful and steady persons. To prevent this danger, Paul sends Tychicus, from whom the Ephesians would receive full information. The holy solicitude which Paul felt about the interests of religion, or, to use his own language, “the care of all the churches,” (2 Corinthians 11:28,) was thus strikingly evinced. When death stood constantly before his eyes, neither the dread of death, nor anxiety about himself, prevented him from making provision for the most distant churches. Another man would have said, “My own affairs require all the attention I can give. It would be more reasonable that all should run to my assistance, than that they should expect from me the smallest relief.” But Paul acts a different part, and sends in every direction to strengthen the churches which he had founded.

Tychicus is commended, that his statements may be more fully believed. A faithful minister in the Lord. It is not easy to say, whether this refers to the public ministry of the church, or to the private attentions which Paul had received from Tychicus. This uncertainty arises from these two expressions being connected, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord. The former refers to Paul, to whom the second may be supposed also to apply. I am more inclined, however, to understand it as denoting the public ministry; for I do not think it probable that Paul would have sent any man who did not hold such a rank in the church, as would secure the respectful attention of the Ephesians."

22. Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that ye might know our affairs, and that he might comfort your hearts.

Clarke comments, "Whom I have sent-for the same purpose] Namely, that the Ephesians might know his affairs, and those of the Church at Rome: messengers of this kind frequently passed between the Churches in those ancient times.

Comfort your hearts.] By showing you how powerfully he was upheld in all his tribulations, and how God turned his bonds to the furtherance of the Gospel. This must have been great consolation to all the followers of God; and particularly to those in Ephesus or Laodicea, or to whomsoever the epistle was directed. The question, To whom was it sent? is divided between the Ephesians and the Laodiceans. Dr. Lardner has argued strongly in favour of the former; Dr. Paley not less so in favour of the latter."

Henry commented on verse 22 in the commentary on verse 21.

Calvin has so commentary on this verse.

23. Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ

Clarke comments, " Peace be to the brethren] If the epistle were really sent to the Ephesians, a people with whom the apostle was so intimately acquainted, it is strange that he mentions no person by name. This objection, on which Dr. Paley lays great stress, (see the preface to this epistle,) has not been successfully answered.

Peace] All prosperity, and continual union with God and among yourselves; and love to God and man, the principle of all obedience and union; with faith, continually increasing, and growing stronger and stronger, from God the Father, as the fountain of all our mercies, and the Lord Jesus Christ, through whose sacrifice and mediation they all come."

Henry states, "He concludes with his good wishes and prayers for them, and not for them only, but for all the brethren, v. 23, 24. His usual benediction was, Grace and peace; here it is, Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith. By peace we are to understand all manner of peace—peace with God, peace with conscience, peace among themselves: and all outward prosperity is included in the word; as if he had said, "I wish the continuance and increase of all happiness to you." And love with faith. This in part explains what he means in the following verse by grace; not only grace in the fountain, or the love and favour of God, but grace in the streams, the grace of the Spirit flowing from that divine principle, faith and love including all the rest. It is the continuance and increase of these that he desires for them, in whom they were already begun. It follows, from God the Father, &c. All Grace and blessings are derived to the saints from God, through the merit and intercession of Jesus Christ our Lord. The closing benediction is more extensive than the former; for in this he prays for all true believers at Ephesus, and every where else. It is the undoubted character of all the saints that they love our Lord Jesus Christ. Our love to Christ is not acceptable, unless it be in sincerity: indeed there is no such thing as love to Christ, whatever men may pretend, where there is not sincerity. The words may be read, Grace be with all those who love our Lord Jesus Christ in incorruption, who continue constant in their love to him, so as not to be corrupted out of it by any baits or seductions whatsoever, and whose love to him is uncorrupted by any opposite lust, or the love of any thing displeasing to him. Grace, that is, the favour of God, and all good (spiritual and temporal), that is, the product of it, are and shall be with all those who thus love our Lord Jesus Christ. And it is, or ought to be, the desire and prayer of every lover of Christ that it may be so with all his fellow-christians. Amen, so be it."

Calvin writes, "Peace be to the brethren. I consider the word peace, as in the salutations of the Epistles, to mean prosperity. Yet if the reader shall prefer to view it as signifying harmony, because, immediately afterwards, Paul mentions love, I do not object to that interpretation, or rather, it agrees better with the context. He wishes the Ephesians to be peaceable and quiet among themselves; and this, he presently adds, may be obtained by brotherly love and by agreement in faith From this prayer we learn that faith and love, as well as peace itself, are gifts of God bestowed upon us through Christ, — that they come equally from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."

24. Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen."

Clarke comments, "Grace be with all them] May the Divine favour, and all the benedictions flowing from it, be with all them who love our Lord Jesus Christ, who has so loved us as to give his life to redeem ours, and to save us unto life eternal.

In sincerity.] en afqarsia? In incorruptibility. Those who show the genuineness of their love, by walking before him in holiness of life. Many profess to love our Lord Jesus who are corrupt in all their ways; on these the grace or favour of God cannot rest; they profess to know him, but in works deny him. Such can neither expect favour here, nor hereafter.

Amen.] This is wanting in ABFG, and some others. It is, however, more likely to be a genuine subscription here than most others of its kind. The apostle might have sealed his most earnest wish by this word, which means not so much, so be it! or may it be so! but rather implies the faithfulness of him who had given the promises, and whose prerogative it was to give effect to the prayers which his own Spirit had inspired.

The principal subscriptions to this epistle are the following: To the Ephesians. The Epistle to the Ephesians is finished. To the Ephesians, written from Rome. To the Ephesians, written from Rome by Tychicus.

(This is the subscription which we have followed; and it is that of the larger number of modern MSS. and editions.) The Epistle to the Ephesians, written from Rome, and sent by Tychicus - SYRIAC. To the Ephesians. - AETHIOPIC. VULGATE, no subscription. The end of this epistle, which was written from Rome by Tychicus. Praise be to God for ever. Amen. - ARABIC. Written at Rome, and sent by Tychicus. - COPTIC. The SAHIDIC is defective. The Epistle to the Ephesians is ended, which was written at Rome by Tychicus. - Philoxenian SYRIAC."

Henry's comments are above.

Calvin writes, "Grace be with all. The meaning is, “May God continue to bestow his favor on all who love Jesus Christ with a pure conscience!” The Greek word, which I follow Erasmus in translating sincerity, (ἐν ἀφθαρσίᾳ,) signifies literally uncorruptedness, which deserves attention on account of the beauty of the metaphor. Paul intended to state indirectly, that, when the heart of man is free from all hypocrisy, it will be free from all corruption. This prayer conveys to us the instruction, that the only way of enjoying the light of the Divine countenance is to love sincerely God’s own Son, in whom his love toward us has been declared and confirmed. But let there be no hypocrisy; for most men, while they are not unwilling to make some professions of religion, entertain exceedingly low notions of Christ, and worship him with pretended homage. I wish there were not so many instances in the present day to prove that Paul’s admonition, to love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity is as necessary as ever."

Heavenly Father,

It really IS all about Jesus, for without the work He did on this earth, culminating on the Cross for us, that we might have the opportunity to have a relationship with our Heavenly Father, I'd not be sitting here now writing all this out.

Once again, I'm feeling kinda quiet at the moment. Perhaps it's from the full feeling I get when I read Your Word, perhaps it's because this book of the Bible is finished. I'm not quite sure, but I'm just sitting here not knowing what to say.

I guess if I look over these past 6 months and the personal journey I've experienced doing this study, the things that stand out to me fall along the lines of witnessing Your power, Your faithfulness, Your tenderness, Your love. At times this study has been exhilarating, at times it has been difficult. At times I've experienced forces against it, and at other times it's felt as if it's flowed on the wings of eagles and soared. It has been a time where I've been exceptionally vulnerable, faced with a choice to jump into Your arms, or to turn and run away. My heart still fills with joy and gratitude that I chose You.

You say in Isaiah 55:11:

"So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."

May it be pleasing to You Lord to accomplish everything that You desire in our lives. May Your Word take root in our hearts and minds...and may You bless it and prosper it in our lives because You were the one Who birthed this study to begin with...for a purpose and a reason.

It was through this study that my own personal relationship with You began to grow and flourish...it is where I began to truly fall in love with You. It is where I began to learn to trust You on a deeper level and where I began to learn the benefit and blessing of becoming less so that You could become more in my life.

I wish I could think of something profound or eloquent to say to conclude this study, but I'm feeling abnormally quiet lol. If I could, I'd just love to be able to feel Your arms around me and to lay my head against Your chest and hear the beating of Your heart.

You are so holy and I love You.

In Jesus Name...and thank You for my salvation,

balloonsballoonsballoonsballoonsballoonsballoonsballoons

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DARLENE!!!

bighug

I pray that your relationship with Your Father will continue to be such a marvel in this next year that you will not be able to comprehend the progress and the bounty that will happen. May you be greatly used of HIM.

((((Darlene)))

MtRider

Thank you for your perseverance and faithfulness in completing this study. May He Himself BE Your greatest gift of birthing in you His Destiny and desires for you.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.