MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Screaming Eagle

Christianity and Preparedness

Maranantha -

1. Tithing should not be mandatory - it should be done with a happy heart and giving spirit. I would imagine tithing of all kinds (cash, time, food, clothes etc.) given with a glad heart and with all thanks and glory given to god would be "acceptable" in the sight of the lord.

2. This whole rapture thing is not scriptural, so I can't talk about that - i'm a postmill gal so that should tell you where I stand.

Good posts...........thanks.

Originally Posted By: ncnewbie
Evening all!

I just wanted to take a monute and share my thoughts on this subject. i WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with the comments here! Its Ironic, because I was just talking to someone at church about the parable of the virgins and could the oil be more than what many claim.. the Holy Spirit... which i agree. The more I think about it, I see that as many here do... the prepared, and those NOT prepared. For me the key phrase was when the Bridegroom called, and the wise trimmed their lamps and used the extra they brought with them *and the wise were without* then they said "there may not be enough for you and us... go to those who have to sell..."
I wonder about that day, that I can FEEL coming (not with dread, just assurety)when there are no more 24/7 stores with everything you ever needed... what then? Well, I guess I know what then, but I am really focused on those people I know... more casually than anything else. What will I say to them? In october, I went to my church (the womens group) and talked about starting to prepare in our own homes and at the church for disasters. I brought a few things to show, and MOST were just astonished.. the pastors wife and daughter though almost looked like they wanted to run out of the room! I tried to tell them, its getting late, we all need to start RIGHT NOW... without delay! but most just nodded and ho-hummed afterward.

But there were a few who were interested and listened keenly, and wanted to know more. One woman even told me the Lord told her last year (07) to fill up her pantry, and even though she didn;'t understand it, she did, and was so blessed that she wasnt the only one!

Ive gone on a rabbit trail, haven't I? (it's so easy to do, the path was so beautiful, and had the prettiest tulips! HA! rofl)

Back to the subject. I think that prepping is in line with James, you have faith, sow me your works.. faith without works is dead!

Which brings me to two other questions that kinda piggyback on this:

1. How do ya'll feel about tithing, do you see it as a madatory way to give, or can the preps we amass count (along with other means)

2. To be raptured, or not to be raptured? I was completely convinced one way, but the mroe I read, I am not so sure... If you answer yes, are you prepping for those you leave behind? If you answer no, well... I guess the calf is out of the gate on that one. Just add your thoughts.

I know this post was a leeetle long oops but its late...

Look farward to yall's reply!

Maranatha!

On tithing, I believe it is very necessary because you reap what you sow. It also helps us to learn not to hang on tight to everything that comes our way and be selfish. I do not consider my stores as tithe unless it is something I produced myself. That is, if I buy wheat and store it that is not tithed. The money is tithed before I buy the wheat. If I grow tomatoes, I will tithe that (if I get takers that are among those that I would tithe to, such as a soup kitchen. Sometimes it is hard to give stuff like that away.) I do frequently give eggs and meat to my neighbors who are raising 3 little grandchildren. The father was killed in an auto accident and Mom is in prison for drugs. Grandmother had to quit work to raise the children and grandfather works as a janitor. They get extra garden produce if I have any. I haven't had a garden lately because of health problems.

I also believe in a Pre-wrath Rapture. That doesn't mean I don't expect to have tribulations (troubles) in this world because Jesus said "in this world you will have tribulations". We are not, however appointed unto wrath.

I make no particular preps for those who stay behind. Whoever gets here first when I'm gone can have everything and welcome to it.

Originally Posted By: CrabGrassAcres
I also believe in a Pre-wrath Rapture. That doesn't mean I don't expect to have tribulations (troubles) in this world because Jesus said "in this world you will have tribulations". We are not, however appointed unto wrath.

I make no particular preps for those who stay behind. Whoever gets here first when I'm gone can have everything and welcome to it.

We agree. I'll be gone, I don't care who gets it or what they do with it!

I just found this thread and I think it's very inspirational.

As for tithing and such, I am unemployed, therefor cannot afford to give with cash. I give my time and work. I help set up the morning coffee and eats. Get Childrens' Ed snacks ready. Leaving my pastor's wife free to get other things ready for CE and anything else that's needed. For instance today we had a taco fund raiser for the youth group and my pastor's wife knew I couldn't afford it, she'd paid for me. As it seems, she always does. For her to do that means to me that she's saying "thank you" for all the help I give. She never asked for the help, I just saw what was needed and did it. We are a church that does not force people to tithe. It is up to us, IF we want to.

BTW, youth group made roughly $540 today and we are not a that big of a church. As I like to say "we're small, but we're mighty."

Edited by Cecilia

Cecilia, Thank you for sharing of the beautiful ways you faithfully serve the Body of Christ at your church. I like very much the acceptance you have at your church.

Thanks Ginger. Today I found out that the true grand total for taco fundraiser was $600+. And we are having another fundraiser next Saturday which is a car wash. Drats! I won't be there. Will be at dad's for the weekend. Brother and nieces are coming in from Denver.

And let's not forget the admonissions in Proverbs 31. I am not quoting this...I will only highlight the action words:

She looks for wool and flax

She works with her hands in delight

She brings her food from afar

She rises also while it is still night and gives food to her household

She considers a field and buys it

She plants a vineyard

She girds herself with strength

Makes her arms strong

Her lamp does not go out at night

Her hands grasp the spindle and she extends her hand to the poor, she stretches her hands to the needy

She makes coverings for herself (and her household)

She makes linen garmets and sells them

She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness

The part that reminds me to be prepared is in verse 21 "She is not afraid of the snow for her household, for all her household are clothed with scarlet". These things are prepared in advance...so she has no fear.

Please do not be overwhelmed by this "excellent wife". This is a life time of accomplishment..it was not done overnight or in a few months! :amen:

Personally, our family is Jewish (my husband is Jewish and I'm converting) so we believe the end of days is going to be wonderful....however-that doesn't mean there will not be pandemics, economic collapses, etc before then.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.