MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning snap beans & potatoes together

I've never done it teacozy but I'd think if you'd process it for the longer item, which I think is potatoes, it wouldn't be a problem.

There will probably be someone around here soon that can give you an answer for sure.

Yes, as long as the potatoes are peeled. All potatoes must be peeled since that is where the botulism bacteria is. Even scrubbing is not enough. Do not raw pack this product. Do not use cooking liquid for canning since it will contain too much starch. You can add some green beans to this, as well. Process for the method and time for the potatoes.

CANNING POTATOES

Potatoes are easy to can at home using these canning instructions. They

should be peeled and have the eyes removed for canning. If you put them in

water with a little ascorbic acid after peeling, it will prevent discoloration.

Wash, peel and remove eyes and place in water with ascorbic acid solution of 1/2

teaspoon per gallon of water. May leave whole or cut into 1/2" cubes.

Drain Potatoes.

Blanch cubed potatoes for two minutes and whole potatoes for ten minutes.

Drain again.

Put canning salt in jars.

Canning using hot pack method with 1” of headspace.

Pour fresh hot water over potatoes, maintaining 1" headspace.

Processing with a Pressure Canner 35 minutes for pints, or 40 minutes for quarts, at 11

pounds, or 10 pounds for a weighted gauge.

For elevations above 1,000 foot level see Altitude Time Adjustments.

After processing, remove from boiling water and place the jars on a towel, separated

by 1” to cool naturally.

Thanks guys. I have a big weekend of canning planned. Got my pressure canner, got my jars, I'm ready to rock and roll. I've only ever done water bath canning before so it will be an adventure!

If you have a dial gauge canner be sure it is tested for accuracy before you use it. The dial can be off by as much as 4 lb. right out of the box, meaning it is bad and would have to be replaced. If you have a weighted gauge canner, you are good to go.

Happy canning.

Thanks Violet. My canner has a weighted gauge. I have been eyeing the All Americans but kept procrastinating because of $$$. Finally decided that a Walmart Presto canner was better than no canner at all.

Presto will last you for years. I have had my first one for 33 years. I have only replaced the gasket once and the gauge once. Mine is a dial, but have also added a weight set recently. Works great !

Have fun and hope you can a lot of good things !

• 8 years later...
On 5/20/2017 at 10:34 AM, Guest green beans ham potatoes said:

anyone do green beans , ham and potatos together?

I'm bumping this. Hopefully one of our more experienced canning folks can answer your question. 

Most of the time I hear not to can potatoes [or any starch like rice, noodles, etc] with anything else.  They bleed away their starch and make the fluid too thick.  Changes the safe canning times.  "Thick" means you need longer at the high temperatures to kill the bad microbes.  But you can can potatoes separately.  Then put them into the mix when you cook what your'e having for a meal. 

MtRider :canning:  Not as up to date on this as others.....

• Like 1

It can be done, they are all pressure-canned.  Just can for the time for the longest processing ingredients, in this case the meat.  BUT texture will suffer on the potatoes especially.

I'd can them separately. 

• Like 1

I do it all the time for soups and stews. Here are two very bad pictures; one of my chicken soup. Chicken, carrots, potatoes, corn and peas. Probably some onion in there too. And a jar of my potatoes, smokie links, green beans and onions. Both pint jars.

Pictures are horrible I know because 1. I don't know how to properly use the camera inside and 2. It's almost 7:00pm and getting dark.

Chicken Soup.JPG

Soup.JPG

Edited by Jeepers
I should have said my chicken vegetable soup.
  • Like 1

Miki, yes. I precooked the chicken. The little sausage links came from the store precooked. I cut them in half.

For my elevation I canned the pints for 75 min. at 10 pounds of pressure. Quarts would be for 90 min. at 10 pounds of pressure.

I layer my soups. I don't precook my carrots or potatoes for soups. They turn out too mushy. They get cooked in the pressure canner though. Also I only use Yukon Gold potatoes. They stand up a little better in canning. I can stick a fork in them (from the soup) and they don't fall apart and they are not grainy.

• Like 1

About starch in canning potatoes, most people put them in a bowl/pan of water as they are peeling and chopping them up to keep them from darkening while they work on them. As they soak in that water some of the starch is being leached out. After I get all of mine done I let them sit in that water 10-15 minutes then drain and rinse them. Quite a lot of the starch goes down the drain and not in my jars. Not all...but a good portion.

What I usually do when I'm going to have a big canning day is to prep my veggies the day before and store them in the fridge over night. I keep the potatoes in water and dump and rinse them on canning day. Doing one canning session over 2 days really helps my back and neck and I don't dread it as much. I love to can but my body doesn't always.

I do have some pint jars of potatoes that I canned but I use them for frying with a little onion and bacon grease.

Also, why I can things together instead of separately is because I'm only feeding myself. More than a pint of any one food would be too much of a meal for just me. About the only thing (that I can think of right off the bat) that I mix together is my beef tips with mushrooms and onions. I will pour a pint of those over some cooked noodles or rice.  

• Like 1