MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hi, just a new guy.

Ollybear

Hello everybody! Thought I would do an intro. I am 32 engaged and trying to prepare two home fronts. One where I currently live(CO) and one where the the soon to be wife is(OR). This has proven to be a hard task. I do most of the cooking and house stuff when we are in the same state...wait I don't think she has ever cooked for me. Which is fine by me. She is an emergency veterinarian and works way more than she should. I fix small electric motors. We have 5 furkids, 3 dogs and 2 cats. I am really interested in canning and food storage, plus all the little wonderful ideas that ya'll come up with. I have found some great ideas just reading around. (I did however seem to loose most of Sunday wondering around in your wonderful little world here) I tend to live simple. But one downfall of that is that I have not had a stove for two years. I cook on the grill but it does limit me sometimes. I am so glad I found a group of people that won't think I am crazy just cause I think I need a years worth of food in the house(maybe for other reasons but not for this one wink , not to mention all the other preps. Oh I have so many questions...where is a boy to start. Thanks for letting me join.

Oliver

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

welcomedogs2.gif I'm sure you will fit right in.

Don't worry about all the time you have to spend reading, we all do that. smile

We have just one little dog and the picture at the top looks so much like her, so have to use that one on my posts. smile

HAVEAGOODDAY-2.gif

COOL! A motorman!!! Someone who knows a sump pump from a pool pump... LOL

That's what my dear husband (DH) does... only he's in a small shop where they fix the huge ones, too. wink

Are you two gonna get together in one state eventually? That will help in your prepping a great deal!!

Sounds like you need a wood stove you can cook on. Did you find the threads on cooking with pits and "heat boxes"? Electric slow cook/crock pot cooking is great, too... have you tried it?

Ask anything you want... we love to help! We've probably got a thread on it somewhere around here... shrug

welcome6

We will both be in OR as soon as our houses sell here in CO. Which at this rate is not happening anytime soon. We do get to see each other at least every other month sometimes more. I love crockpot cooking and getting creative with flavors. You would be amazed at what a boy can do with a toaster oven too. I wish I could have a wood stove but the days that they allow wood burning here are limited. I will have to search for the pits and heat boxes I haven't stumbled on to those yet. We get to go shopping for wood for new food storage shelves while I am out there next(two weeks). I can't wait!

Ollybear--- welcome6 :hello2:

We love new people and love the guys. Well you will be spending a lot of time on this site it has a lot on everything. If you want to canning you are in the right place the ladies know their stuff.

Just get a notebook and start printing.

Oh! did I mention we love questions------

Great to have a new Guy here.. I look forward to getting to know you.. Best wishes in the future for you and your soon to be...lol nothing like starting a future with the one you love. I am glad to see you thinking ahead ( food storage ) there is so many possibilitys for having it.. Never know whats going to happen in the future, so its great to be as prepared as we can be. Is your girlfriend on board with the food storage idea?. I will pray your house sells quickly so you can get going on your future plans.. Well good luck and glad to meet you.. wvangel46

It was kind of a funny conversation with her and the prep/food storage.

Me "babe we need to start storing food in case something happens"

Her "Where are we gonna put it"

Me "I will find room"

Her "Well you know I like to hoard things"

Her "We need to go buy shelves then, or I guess you can make them"

Her "we will stop on the way home from the airport when you get here"

That was the extent of it. She is already big on having lots of extra's of everything. I think we have already been prepping for awhile we just didn't ever say what we were doing in so many words.

Thanks for the prayers! I can't wait until we are in the same state for more than a week.

Thanks for the congrats! OR is SO green, I had no clue. My first visit was moving her up there a few months ago. I fell in love with it on site. It just felt like home instantly. We will be outside of Portland. Still looking for the perfect farm as we speak. Kind of hoping to find it about the same time I sell the houses but that would be heavy in the luck department.

Yes up north its lovely green. Down where I am not so much LOL. It's very hot and dry in the southern bit of the state in the summer. I do love it here though smile I'll be up your fiancee's way on the 22 to go to a DR apt at OHSU. I love the country just south of Portland. Beautiful farmland! I hope you find a great deal smile

Archived