MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

May I join you?

Vlynn

I've been lurking for about a year. I found this site last summer when I was doing a search for things to do with my new dehydrator. Now I find myself coming back every day, trolling the old posts and checking the new ones. So much good info! But not scary like some of the other prep sites I've seen. You guys rock!

I live with my husband and 7-yr.old son on an 80 acre farm in central Wisconsin (we rent-out the farm land). When my new husband brought me here 20 years ago, I HATED the isolation of living in the country. Now I can't imagine living anywhere else.

A recent power outage here reminded me how NOT prepared we are. Time to get serious. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Welcome to MrsS! We're so glad you've joined us! It's always awesome to meet like minded people...

Let us know if you need any help with anything.

Welcome Vlynn!

That's great you're getting prepared. I lurked for quite a while, too, before jumping in. I haven't been here that long, but I just had to join because the number of really smart women wanting to share what they know on this board amazed me. Honestly, they are survivors, par excellence!!

How long was your power out, and how did you get through and what do you want to be different next time?

welcome6 You will learn that it is so much more fun to join in and have fun with us. After a year you know we can get a little wild but we are serious about the subject.

Just ask questions we love that.

Sometime I would love to know how long it took you to ajust to country life. coffee2

Originally Posted By: pricklypear
Welcome Vlynn!
How long was your power out, and how did you get through and what do you want to be different next time?

It went out during the night, and was out most of the next day. We have a well, so we lost our water, too. My 7-yr. old son, who always has to be reminded to flush, suddenly developed the habit, so water pressure disappeared quickly.

Here's how I handled it: After the first hour with no coffee, and being unable to flush, my husband, son and I drove to the nearest town with power (10 miles) for breakfast. Then we went shopping - most of the day. I kept calling home to see if the answering machine would pick-up (my signal that the power was back). Late afternoon, I finally got through.

I figured that with gas, meals & shopping, the day without power cost us about $175.

I'm here to learn a better way.
Originally Posted By: Peg
Welcome. Vlynn.
Central Wisconsin huh? Howdy neighbor. Northern WI here.

welcome4

I LOVE the northwoods. I've been up there the last couple of weekends - to my sister's cottage near Phillips.

Thanks, everyone for the warm welcomes.

Archived