MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
michelle

Methods of refrigeration

Michelle,

Do a search for 'icy ball'. Wikipedia and other places have some fairly detailed descriptions and it's actually something that can be built and maintained fairly easily. Let me know privately if you have further questions and I'll try to get you some more info. They can be had for around $600.

Oh wow! Now that may be just the ticket. Thanks! I plan to try to keep from needing much refrigeration. Long growing season so much fruits and veggies will be gotten as needed or canned at harvesting. Can milk the goats daily and plan to butcher the small animals like chickens or rabbits when needed so no fridge there. Its just things like butter or cheese when we make them I'd like to refrigerate. Thats a great idea though I'd never heard of!

In the "Old Days" if you lived next to a stream, you would build a cooling house over the stream. I have seen one of these and it was pretty cool inside, even in the summer (in the south, so think around 100 degrees!) It was just a small wood building with a shelf inside. A half pipe was running through it with water from the stream -kind of like a LOOONG tiny canoe. The stream water would run through the pipe and out the front of the cooling house. Just the cooness from the mountain stream kept the inside of the house cool enough to keep butter and milk for a few days. Of course, you could just set it in the stream in the first place!!

yep i love the idea of the spring house... simple and effective but not a possibility on our property. *pout* I'll check out that einstein fridge too. Thanks kevin!

Originally Posted By: Screaming Eagle
Michelle
Do a search for 'icy ball'. Wikipedia and other places have some fairly detailed descriptions and it's actually something that can be built and maintained fairly easily. Let me know privately if you have further questions and I'll try to get you some more info. They can be had for around $600.

Screaming Eagle, Im really intregued!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.