MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hi everyone! (finally)

ChristyK

Hello!! I've been lurking here for quite awhile, finally broke down and registered. cheer

I just adore all of the canning and preservation stuff ~ I've canned my own tomato juice and pickles and jams for years, but for corn/beans/ect I was stuck freezing 'em because ... well, because I have this deathly terror of pressure canners.blush *sigh* Sad, being be such a coward. But I'm hoping to get over myself, I've read all I can and plan on shopping for one sometime soon.

Funny, but I never considered myself to be a 'prepper' ~ though it's always been the way I am. Where I live, growing a summer garden and putting up your harvest for winter is normal, as is a decent amount of plain old stocking up when you can. But over the last couple of years ... I don't know, I just began to feel uneasy about our world and to take the whole deal of providing for my family even more seriously. A few months ago my supplies & such outgrew my pantry & the upstairs closet, so I had to put some shelves in the basement ... and that was when I faced facts: I'd become a Prepper. cool

I found this site while looking up something about food dehydrating, but hung around and kept soming back ~ you have a marbelous sense of 'home' here. I'm glad to be able to be here.

thanks

: Christy

Quote:
and that was when I faced facts: I'd become a Prepper. cool

roflroflrofl

Welcome to the looney bin!!!!

Just joking, of course... bouquet

As you can see, we've had many who made the leap into pressure canning and just love the convenience of having those foods ready to eat! And you know *exactly* what's in it... healthy foods!

As you're looking for what you want to buy, etc.... feel free to ask us anything! We love to help.

And when you try that first pressure canning session, let us know... we'll hold your hand all the way through it!!! cheer

welcome6

Thanks for the welcome! bouquet

Originally Posted By: Cat
// And when you try that first pressure canning session, let us know... we'll hold your hand all the way through it!!!

I don't know about holding my hand ~ it'll likely be more like slapping me upside my silly head and saying "It's NOT getting ready to blow, you twit ~ now get BACK IN THAT KITCHEN!!" rofl

I wanted to join in and welcome you,ChristyK. rocks

I can definitely relate to your fear of canning I am so terrified to do the pressure canning.I waterbath can/freeze,ect.I grew up with all the "putting up" the foods,and do my own as well now,but that dadgum pressure canning (shudder)...sigh,I am going to take that fear,and pound it in the ground soon one day.(Gulp)At least it sounded good,huh? rofl Mimi

Welcome, glad you're here. The first time I pressured canned, I had DH stay with me, and I would read the directions line by line. It was successful, and now I love to can. Every once in a while things may not quite go as planned, but don't panic - ask questions. This is a great site.

Thanks for the warm welcome and reassurances! loveplace

I actually managed to find my Mom's old pressure canner ~ it's got to be 30 years old and is missing the seals; goodness only knows when the last time the pressure dial was checked. Need to look into whether or not I can (and ought to) 're-burbish' it rather than buy a new one; I'm all about using what I've got, but... Oh, I want safety both in the process and the product ... but I don't want to be wasteful ... but I don't know of it'll work ... but I ... blah, blah ...beathorse

smile

Originally Posted By: anewcreation
I too am too chicken to pressure can canning I even bought all the stuff! but so far it is just sitting on the shelf intimidating me awwman but sooner or later I'm gonna get victory over that thing!

Your problem will be solved when you get yourself in there and pressure can that chicken!!!

Go the the Preserving forum. There is a step by step guide to canning chicken soup. smile

I was just now looking at a zillion jars of canned potatoes and canned soup that I've done this week, thinking to myself, "Now wasn't that an easy pleasure? Why did I wait for decades to begin canning? Whatever was I afraid of?".

Jump in! The water's fine!

Archived