MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Today is NOV 10th, The day if your a Marine

Trip

Today is the Birthday of the United States Marines!!236 I think...to old to remember smile but I've celebrated 49 of them!

So please all of you, lift a glass ( water for wimps grin) to our beloved Corp!!

Today is also the day I set aside to have a glass with my dad who Died as a US Marine fighting for this great nation , on the Island of Iwo Jima, sadly on the next to the last day of the battle... but that's what Marines do, they fight for America, and sometimes they die for her, always have , always will, not to scare you mom's who have sons and daughters or family in the service's.. but it's a part of the job.

Our youngest and brightest go out to the edge and give a part of their life guarding the edge.

All give some , Some give all..

So...please join me...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINES !!!!

There is no phonetic spelling for a sound that comes from the depth of the hell of the battle ground. From the hot sands of Tripoli to the heights of Montezuma’s Castle. From the Walls of the Foreign Legation at Peking to Belleau Wood. This particular sound takes the leather lungs of a salty old DI to get right and is unlike no sound heard since the 300 Spartans stood at Thermopylae. This sound has carried Marines across the Pacific from Guadalcanal to Iwo Jima and later kept young Marines warm and alive at the Chosin Resovior. Charlie heard this call at Hue City and a little place called Khe Sanh. The sound rose from the rubble of the Marine Barracks in Lebanon and raged across the deserts of Kuwait. Now, young men and women and those same old leather lunged sergeants can be heard in Iraq and the frozen mountains of Afghanistan. Smedley Butler, Dan Daly, John Basilone and Chesty Puller know this sound.

If you have heard it. You’ll never forget it. It is the aural sound of the soul of a Marine.

:usaflag2: Happy Birthday Marines!

(Happy Birthday to me! --I celebrated mine today, too) But now, tipping a glass for the Marines!

Originally Posted By: OldMaineBear
There is no phonetic spelling for a sound that comes from the depth of the hell of the battle ground. From the hot sands of Tripoli to the heights of Montezuma’s Castle. From the Walls of the Foreign Legation at Peking to Belleau Wood. This particular sound takes the leather lungs of a salty old DI to get right and is unlike no sound heard since the 300 Spartans stood at Thermopylae. This sound has carried Marines across the Pacific from Guadalcanal to Iwo Jima and later kept young Marines warm and alive at the Chosin Resovior. Charlie heard this call at Hue City and a little place called Khe Sanh. The sound rose from the rubble of the Marine Barracks in Lebanon and raged across the deserts of Kuwait. Now, young men and women and those same old leather lunged sergeants can be heard in Iraq and the frozen mountains of Afghanistan. Smedley Butler, Dan Daly, John Basilone and Chesty Puller know this sound.

If you have heard it. You’ll never forget it. It is the aural sound of the soul of a Marine.

OMB either your an old corp Marine too or you read a lot...that came right from the heart and soul of the Corps..

Curse you for the tear in my eye..

it's now 2000 and time to have that drink with my dad!!

Gods blessings on all who enter here...

Then you know that Chesty was a living God in the Corps,His son lost both legs in Nam, he was a Capt, company commander as I recall...

Sad day when Chesty died..If you've never read it, get Marine, the life of Chesty Puller from Pvt to 3 stars in 35 years ..great read

his brother was killed on the Canal or Seipan can't remember which

His Brother Samuel died on Guam. Sniper shot.

I have that book.

He was also a cousin of George Patton. Some genetics in that family line.

I met a man once who was stationed at Parris Island when Chesty was present for a ceremony. He was wering one star at the time and spotted a three star standing there chatting with his hands in the pockets of his dress blues. Chesty roared into him despite being a junior officer. Told him he was not being a good role model for these young Marines. These weren't exactly the words, but this is a family site. The 3 star took his hands out of his pockets and just stood there taking it shaking his head up and down and saying, "Yes Chesty, Your right Chesty" over and over.

While visiting DD#2 at Quantico, her DH, active duty Marine, is reading "First to Fight" by Victor H. Krulak, Lt.Gen USMC,retired. I started to read it, but we were so busy while there (and then he took it with them to Walter Reed for DGS's surgery) that I didn't get too far; but want to find it and read it. Have you two read it?

Last night after the Monkeys were abed, and the storm was hammering down outside, DH & I shared a small toast to the Corps. DH of course is MY favorite Marine!

And I didn't forget to add, Good Night to Chesty Puller, wherever he is...!

roflrofl OMG Vic, Thank you!! I had forgotten that one...yet I too yelled it at full lung power every night in boot camp...

Time does warp the brain

And yes OMB, your right , what I was remembering was picture of Chesty and his brother when they ran into each other on the canal, those were the hardest of times but America shined like the brightest star in the heavens.

The entire world stood on the brink and America pulled them back, oh how they forget...worst yet, how "WE" forget.

Trip, OMB, I will never forget my father in law talking about Chesty. Our oldest son wanted to write a report about Merrill's Marauders and the men that survived (my fil was one of those few men) and he would not tell ds anything about his time as a marauder but he told him the story of Chesty.

So from this military brat..THANK YOU to all that have served and to the families of those that have served and are serving thank you for the sacrifices you've made.

americanflag :usaflag2: marine2

To the Corp that is active, retired, wounded, or gave the Ultimate Sacrifice, I, a civilian, from the bottom of my heart, salute you!

You have seen horrific battles, your comrades die beside you in wars that were not of your making. You stepped up and fought battles others would not. While others may have forgotten, you have not. You are the ones who wake up with memories haunting of battles fought years ago while others sleep soundly.

It is due to your sacrifice, dedication, and downright tough-as-nails approach that America is what She is.

May God keep you safe and continue to protect America.

So I too, lift a glass and say "L'Chaim" - To LIFE - long may the Corp live!

bighug for Trip

Trip and all other Marines. Please share that little thing I wrote. It's my gift to the Corps. While I did not serve directly in the cloth of my country, it is always My Beloved Corps also.

I heard that sound on the parade deck at Parris Island the day we went to gather our Marine. There was one platoon practicing way across the deck and the only sound you could hear was THE sound. That and the gentle voice of a DI sweetly instructing the lads on proper marching preocedures. That came across that deck like he was standing next to us and not several hundred yards away.

Archived