MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Military Language Conversion Chart

OldMaineBear

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interservice joking is rampant and sometimes a bit coarse, but I found that when the chips are down they all work together.

My Dad was US Marines in WW2. He did the Great South Pacific Tour of Guadalcanal, Tulagi, New Georgia and Peleliu. In 1947 after his discharge he joined the Air Force and served another 20 years with them. I was an Air Force Brat and know the reality.

My son was a Marine. He joked endlessly with his cousins in the Navy, Army and Air Force. They give it right back. They all respected each other though. Their jobs are tough and varied and humor helps. I came into contact with military units from all over the world and it's the same in every country. No matter what the flag there is pride in unit and respect for their fellow countrymen in uniform and that also is open for jibes and digs.

Those Marines and Army soldiers may joke about the Air Force guys, but believe me, they know who's behind the stick of that A-10 that just saved their collective butts with a strafing run or the guy a half a world away controlling the Predator that spotted a enemy ambush, it's Air Force blue. There is respect, but along with that there will be jokes.

So, I meant no harm, just carrying on a long tradition.

Archived