MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Prepper in Louisiana

CoM

Hello:

I just lost a long post somehow so have to start all over...sigh.

I have been lurking here for a while and have decided it's time to join. I need more friends with the same kind of interests. It gets lonely out in the world as a prepper sometimes. I prefer to see it as quasi homesteading.

We need like minded friends to encourage us along the way, to teach us new things and to validate that we are not a fanatic just because we see things that many do not.

I have been prepping for 10 years. Along the way I have made many mistakes but have learned alot. I spent almost everday in 1999 researching, teaching myself to can etc and stocking a year supply of everything one could ever want or need being laughed at by family and tolerated by hubby.

The supplies had dwindled down quite a bit, so about a year ago I felt strongly inspired to reevaluate what we had left and bring everything back up to that standard or beyond. This time hubby is more onboard as long as I talk from an economic perspective..lol

10 Things we are doing different this time:

1- Have turned the spare bedroom off the kitchen into a real pantry. ( Storing food in a laundry room with heat and light was a disaterous mistake)

2- Am storing more of what family WILL eat this time.

3- Using and rotating !!! ( not to loose our investment.

4- Canning & drying more of our garden instead of giving most of it away. Seeing exactly how much we grow in a season, trying to grow enough of everything to actually last a year.

5- Trying to grow more non hybrids and learning to collect & save seed.

6- Bought those last few expensive items ( Big Burkey water filter, good hand grain mill, etc.

7- Tearing out fireplace and replacing with wood burning heater. (Fireplaces are for looks not warmth).

8- Trying to do as much as possible by hand, not relying on electricity; becoming good at bread baking, refusing to use Kitchen Aid, hanging clothes out on line, etc. ( Geesh I am gonna miss the electricity, hopes it doesn't get THAT bad)!!!

9- Gonna make myself learn to eat wild meat as hubby is an avid hunter.

10- Have to start using all the herbal info I have collected over the years.

I am sure there are many more things I could add to this list and will start incorporating into our life as it comes up.

Just thought of another two:

11) Generators are great but think beyond gas dependancy!

12) Be obcessed with water! Water should be priority ONE. Not just storing it but having sources for and methods of purifying it.

We were the only family members who made it through Katrina without any real losses (generator for 3 wks). Gustav (didn't use generator 9 days)taught us that 250 gallons of stored water is not enough (Bought a Big Burkey).

Freak snow storm last week, 3 days ( did not refill 250 gal of water, had to use melted snow to wash with, for toilets, etc. I did have a few gallons of bottled water on hand for cooking.

These have all been learning experiences.

The main thing I have learned is that to truly be prepared it has to be a lifestyle NOW that you live. Make all the mistakes NOW so that if things get really bad it won't be a total shock or even a life threatening event.

I am hoping to retire very soon. I own a Catholic shop in a town 20 min away. I have encouraged many over the years to start prepping and even sell non hybrid seeds and prep books in the shop.I am only 54 but have worked full time since age 17. I am ready ! I want to spend more time at home working, learning, practicing, LIVING all these old skills.

I have visited many like forums over the years and have finally found one that I would feel welcomed and comfortable with.

I hope this has not been to long but maybe you can get a sense of who I am and I look foward to meeting all of you.

God Bless,

CoM

welcome5 Glad to have you join!

Yes, its time as many of us that can, to get our ducks in a row.

Sounds like you have plenty of skills already. Everyone sharing ideas and making friends here has been terrific especially for those of us new to prepping.

Welcome to MrsS CoM, so glad to meet you.

I was born in Louisiana but now live in Alabama with my dh and seven children on a small homestead in progress.

Your progress is very similar to many of ours, learning, adjusting and growing.

MrsS is unique and a wonderful group of members who are both knowledgable and will to share that knowledge.

Look forward to getting to know you better.

Stephanie

even sell non hybrid seeds and prep books in the shop

Hmmm ... still sell those seeds?

I am looking to buy seed for my garden, especially Non hybrid. I recently traded for 50 bars of soap, and have a lot I won't need this next year, decided to use it for trade, wonder if you might be interested? I also have a post with other tradeable items in it, if not, cash (paypal) can be arranged.

BTW WELCOME!!!

Originally Posted By: CoM
Hi Angela:

Thanks for the welcome. BTW I am a soap collector! What kind of soap do you make? How can I email you?

God Bless,
CoM

Nope don't make soap yet, it is on my list of things to learn, but I learned how to barter in Italy and Mexico, I bartered for the soap. LOL I have 30 bars (I am keeping 20) of Goats milk soap, plain utilitarian bars, with some wonderful fragrances.

YOu can PM me on here, Just click on my name, and then, write your message. I have a post down in two bits four bits six bits with information on what I am looking to barter for. :-)

CoM , welcome from another new member , also from Louisiana (northwest, near Shreveport). I know what you mean about being laughed at and tolerated by family, the rolling eyes when you bring up a prepping subject. Worst is the real concern you see in their eyes that you might be crazy. Ha. I think they are beginning to see the light now and may even decide I was pretty smart after all.

The people on this board are wonderful. They collectively know just about anything you'd need and are great about helping, how I wish all of them lived in my little community.

That's a great list and I'll be looking over it very carefully, seems like you've covered some very good points.

Welcome. Kully

CoM, marinate game meat in milk or buttermilk. It really helps. If a potential potroast is too lean, stab holes in it with a knitting needle and thread bacon or other strips of raw fat through it. (Or try--I usually end up poking the strip in as far as I can; when I start swearing, the hubby calls it good enough.) Also, hanging any fresh kill in a cool place until the joints move freely again (until rigor has passed) is very desirable.

• 1 month later...

Archived