MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Adopt a Soldier

OldMaineBear

I'm glad you posted that link, OMB. My husband writes a column for his magazine and when I told him about it, he asked for the link. I think he will give this a plug!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my soldier yesterday and sent of a letter as a penpal but I think I will do the route to send packages later if I can squeeze it out once a month. They have a package rate to APO addies for these soldiers.

They will assign married soldiers to married people and singles to singles, just to try and keep things proper.

Ive been telling JCK88 about mine.

No glass anything in the packages. My soldier had a list and much of it is prep items. Yes it is cold in the winter! Hot in the summer. I told him I was going to work hard at learning to knit socks, which they always need and black knit hats are good too.

Handwarmers, individual packets of drink mixes like koolaid, gatorade, hot instant cocoa. Chocolate is ok in the wintertime, before a March shipment I guess, then by the time the next packages get to them it could be getting hot, and it is often over 115F in the summer.

Sports magazines, dvd's of clean cut movies, newspapers. Nothing sexy... nothing containing pork, something to do with offending the morals of the arabic countries, etc... ( which I would not think any of us would do anyway! )

I will hopefully have a new printer in a couple months and if he has a home town paper maybe I can print out articles he may like from online. ( Lots of small towns now have newspaper websites).

If you become a penpal, a letter a week is recommended, and packages once a month or more. If any of you know if its ok to vaccuum pack something like brownies and send them let me know ???

If you send packages, also letters like a penpal. Enclose a self addressed envelope. They will put their own stamps on it, somewhere along the line, it was said.

I think its a great thing to do. Makes them feel a bit closer to home I would think.

I just found out one of my DS's half brothers is going to be on his way home in a bit over a month. I did not know a year had just about passed already. But these soldiers could use things, including hygiene stuff like moisturizer soap, probably no fancy scents of course, hand warmers and toe warmers for their boots, fly swatters and deet insect repellent, sun screen.... sticky fly tape was another item.

Stuff like that was on his list. And blankets.

OMB or anyone who does this know if you are just a penpal, you can still send a box directly to the soldier or do you need to sign up for packages too? I was not sure if the package part of adoptaplatoon.org might be a general package to a whole platoon?

• 1 month later...

Archived