MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sunny Sunday

mommafitz

>>I will continue to use it.

People who insist on living in the United States of the Offended need to get over it.>>

Yeah, Louis. I hear ya. There are people who deny the Holocaust. They have a right to say that, too. To quote you: "Whatever."

Originally Posted By: JCK88
>>I will continue to use it.
People who insist on living in the United States of the Offended need to get over it.>>

Yeah, Louis. I hear ya. There are people who deny the Holocaust. They have a right to say that, too. To quote you: "Whatever."

Sorry but have to agree with Louis. Anyone can "believe" anything they want to. Including dummies who deny the Holocaust. That doesn't mean it did not happen but denying history and having to watch every word you say because someone "MIGHT" be claiming to be offended is not the same. We have the right in this United States that I live in to believe what we want and to say what we want unless it affects the physical well being of someone else. That is the basis of our rights.

Okie dokie then, let's just take a few steps back and look at this once more.

First of all, Judy made a comment about the origin of a phrase. Kind of a FYI. She did not state that she was offended or that she thought offense was the intent.

Of course Louis has the right to say that phrase or any other that he so chooses. Often what is recorded as a fact (like the origin of a word) does not mean that it applies to every person or situation.

This was never about who could or couldn't say something, it was about word origin and a little heads up for anyone who might not be aware. Let's don't make it more than it is.

As Judy clearly stated, she doesn't favor being Politically Correct. She was just sharing some info. I thought it was interesting, but not necessarily going to change my Southern dialect because of it.

No harm, no foul here folks!! Everything is OKAY.

If you would care to have a discussion about your opinion on being Politically Correct or etc... Please take it to the edge and have a hay day....hmmmm wonder what that means.

grouphug

Oh! Oh! I wanna play, too!!!!!

snowman2

Snowman is a sexist, racist: UK academic

Shyam Bhatia, London

Dec 22, 2000 17:30 Hrs (IST)

As snow starts to settle in the northern hemisphere, a perennial symbol of the festive season has been dismissed by a British academic as racist, sexist and politically inappropriate for the 21st century.

For Birmingham University lecturer Tricia Cusack the snowman is unacceptably white and male and his presence is "a reminder of masculine dominance, ordering and surveillance."

Cusack's 15-page paper on the representation of snowmen in Christmas cards also argues that they are "phallic symbols" which condemn women to second-class status in society.

In the traditional setting of the front garden "snowmen symbolize man's domination of the outside world -- while all women are indoors slaving over the Christmas dinner in the kitchen," Cusack writes in the left wing periodical New Formations.

"Is it accidental, in view of the Western narrative of active masculine domination of nature/female, that out of virgin snow a male icon is built -- or erected?" she asks.

"Some members of cultural minorities in Britain find the central power relationship of Christmas threatening, not to speak of its whiteness -- a white Christ, a white snowman," she adds.

Her answer is to create more "ethnic diversity" in snow people, so as to give snow role models to the downtrodden.

Sand%20snowman%201.jpg

Sorry about the duplicate.... I will however make a snowman in the parking lot tomorrow I think. Already have six inches of powder on the ground and it continues to fall, powdery stuff, in a white cascade outside.

Oh please, a snowman is white because snow is white. Sheesh!

and yea, I like this tradition of building snowmen and snowwomen. criminy.

We have the right in this United States that I live in to believe what we want and to say what we want unless it affects the physical well being of someone else. That is the basis of our rights.>>

Nobody stated otherwise.

The huge difference between me and the Louis supporters is that while I defend the right of free speech, I also would not deliberately or knowingly say something racist even if is my right to do so. And yes, to insist on saying something once you know its origins seems racist because more than a hundred years of history goes with those words.

If nothing else, history is supposed to teach us to avoid past mistakes. I believe that language reflects societal attitudes. And, a lot of racially charged language still is running through our language today. A lot of that racially charged language began in the South, with slavery, and it was perpetuated up North, with bigotry. But if we knowingly carry that language into the future, what does that say about us?

Some of these racially charged expressions are hundreds of years old and some of it them are new. But if we don't think about what the history is behind what we are saying, how will we change things for the better in the future?

Is it best to insist on the right to be racist because we don't "believe" something we say is racist even when scholars say "coon" is one of the worst racial slurs in existence? You decide.

It's not that someone "might" be offended that prompted me to bring the whole thing up. It's not that someone possibly could be upset that I urge others to purge their vocabulary of racist phrases. It's because in our time, we have attempted to transcend all that. And if we really are going to transcend all that, we need to be aware of the remnants of racism which permeate even our innocent expressions. We can't transcend that which we refuse to admit.

Some would argue intent behind the words--they use it all the time. In their part of the world, it doesn't mean anything bad. But to me, the mother of an African-American child and the wife of a history buff, worlds collide when I'm confronted with that simple sloughing off of the importance of what I am asking here. What's more, it ticks me off when a serious matter is labeled political correctness and then becomes subject for ridicule without even considering the matter fully.

In a class I took about racism, sexism, and prejudice, a very wise Somali professor helped the class recognize just this sort of institutionalized and society-approved form of racism. Many people in the class reacted as those of you here did, but some of us took a good hard look and realized that despite what we claimed, we may have had some lingering racism.

When I adopted my daughter, I talked to a professor who had conducted a longitudinal study on white parents raising black kids. She made me look at racism in a whole new way because I had wondered aloud if I was doing the right thing in adopting my daughter. What if, I had wondered, if having white parents was bad for a black kid. She asked what kind of biological parent my daughter had and if I knew anything about her family. When I responded that the birth mother was a repeat offender serving a 30-year jail sentence, she asked me if I would feel guilty if the child and the birth mother were white. When I said no, not at all, she told me I was being racist--and that once I quit having white liberal guilt, which she claimed was also a form of racism, I'd make a fine mom to someone, no matter their color.

So all I'm saying here is that racism is insidious--more than we can even realize. Recognizing it in ourselves through the choices we make in our speech is a push towards ending it once and for all.

I believe ideas have consequences. I think words are more powerful than we can know. Until we change the words and the ideas, we won't fully change attitudes. If we insist on our right to be offensive no matter who it might hurt, then that is a serious idea to me, and carries with it the sad consequence of perpetuating something that keeps open old wounds. This is not political correctness run amok, it is a demand that collectively, we realize an ancient dream of unity among people of all colors. We do this by using even the small means we have through the choice of our words to achieve it. This seems a small sacrifice to make.

It surprises me that people who now know the origins of this phrase would still insist on using it. That's the difference between them and me--my conscience prevents me. And yet, something else--I know my conscience can't be imposed on anyone else. And therefore, again I say, I respect your right.

Originally Posted By: JCK88
...was going to post an interesting explanation I found when suddenly my computer would only type K's over and over all by itself. Thinking I had contracted some virus from the KKK, I frantically ran a scan, finding nothing until I had the brainstorm to check the K key and realize there was some kind of cookie crumb in there jamming it up, LOL LOL Freaked me out.

laugh2.gif I laughed so hard I woke the dog up! This is just hilarious! (I love the way you think! lol!)

But...I hafta agree with Louis...

(edited to add: I agree 100% with his observation "the term "coon's age" is used by BLACK and WHITE from all social and economic classes to mean "For a long time.")

And I've got to admit, I've heard blacks use this term equally as much as whites do, mostly kindly old granny and grampa types, and country folk of all colors. No one was ever insulted by it, and it was often in gentle talk, never in racist-toned speech.

Even though the word 'coon' was used by some in a derogatory manner (more so in years past than now?), I don't see anything about 'coon's age' being offensive. How can anyone's age be so horrible as to be offensive, regardless of whether the aforementioned coon is walking on two or four legs? No matter how hard I try, I just don't get it. It does not even make sense, especially considering that no one race is known for living longer than another...unless you live in Okinawa or happen to be a special kind of monk living in the high country of Tibet.

I'm thinking that anyone who has ever used or heard that phrase, 'coon's age' is not using or hearing it in a derogatory manner. I'm willing to bet a whole pirogue full of crawfish that the phrase probably also refers to an actual four-legged coon. (In fact, I'm so sure of it, that I'd be willing to boil the crawfish and personally deliver it to you!)

Ask any raccoon hunter, and his dogs too!!! Raccoons are some of the smartest critters (next to a fox) that can outsmart (or outfox) the hunting dogs. The smartest coons live a long time...

Sharon,

I understand you are a Jehovah's Witness, right? Or do I have you mixed up with someone else?

Well, I believe that today, nobody celebrates Christmas as a pagan birthday of the Sun God. So why don't JW's celebrate it? Same with Halloween. Today, it is a cute holiday where little kids dress up and get candy. They aren't druids. So why won't JW's just say, hey today it's not what it was so we will do it? See, I'm thinking origins DO matter here. But that's just me. (no disrespect to the JW faith here, just using this as an example)

I KNOW that most people here aren't racist and I KNOW that this expression coon's age doesn't mean what it used to to most people today. And to be honest, it doesn't really bother me one whit if y'all use it. I just don't plan to, for reasons you now know (and wish you didn't, LOL)

I'll even have crawfish with ya if you leave off the Old Bay spice, I'm allergic to it. But you'd lose your bet. I did post a link to the origin of the phrase, Sharon. The history behind it is not debatable. Yet, the present usage could be pretty fluid, depending on where you live. Here in New England the only people likely to say it are older people. The expression really isn't used much.

Louis, LOL I meant people who agreed with you, are they not supporters? I wasn't meaning to imply you had your own army or anything. You're right, that didn't quite come out right... You can unboggle your mind now.

And all of us can put this to rest and have a good laugh I suppose.

:::::::back to lurk mode for a bit see y'all later:::::::

DarleneSwoon

I'm guilty of posting without reading the whole entire thread (I seldom have the time or the eyeball energy to read every post from beginning to end on any thread). As a result, I missed a good portion of the whys and hows of the stated origin of 'coon's age'. I didn't delve into it too deep, and I am not refuting any of it, but...considering the idea that there may be more than one reason for the expression...

I threw my post out there, 'cause it's just my homegrown opinion (not cited fact), and this is a message board where folks can do just that...k?

BTW, Real Cajuns don't use Old Bay Seasoning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term applied to language, ideas, policies, or behavior seen as seeking to minimize offense to gender, racial, cultural, disabled, aged or other identity groups. Conversely, the term "politically incorrect" is used to refer to language or ideas that may cause offense or that are unconstrained by orthodoxy.

Ruth Perry traces the term back to Mao's Little Red Book. According to Perry, the term was later adopted by the radical left in the 1960s, initially seriously and later ironically, as a self-criticism of dogmatic attitudes. In the 1990s, because of the term's association with radical politics and communist censorship, it was used by the political right in the United States to try to discredit the Old and New Left.[1]

The term itself and its usage are controversial. The term "political correctness" is used almost exclusively in a pejorative sense,[2][1] while "politically incorrect" is commonly used as an implicitly positive self-description, as in the series of "Politically Incorrect Guides", produced by conservative publisher Regnery[3] and the talk show Politically Incorrect.

Some commentators have argued that the term "political correctness" is a straw man used by conservatives in the 1990s in order to challenge leftist social change, especially with respect to issues of race, religion and gender

the article continues at length - interesting stuff. It seems like everyone is right about what political correctness means.I remeber it as trying to legisalate manners and others, of course, remember what the Social Conservatives have used it for.

Well, I must be politically correct, 'cause I don't even use the expression 'coon's age' as a figure of speech. Also, out of consideration and respect for others, I don't (knowingly) use any other unPC expression.

I was simply saying that what lots of folks know about raccoon hunters, their dogs and a whole lot of smart 'coons begs a dual meaning to the expression 'coon's age'. (and also that I agreed 100% with Louis’ observation that the term is used to mean "For a long time.", and that it was often in gentle talk, never in racist-toned speech....)

Now, I think I’ll just step out of this <!--url{0}-->  alt= thread...

Well, back to the original purpose of this thread... Sunshine!!!

It's been several days of gloomy clouds for me in central Virginia, but the sun is shining today. I am so glad. I suffer from winter blues and more than a day without sun exposure causes me to have a rosacea flare-up.

I can feel a definite brightening of my mood when I can bask in the glow of the sun.

If I had taken the time to explore those emoticons that I believe leah posted the links to, I would have a bunch of sunshines dancing on the page. Gotta figure out how to use them!

If any of you have the sun shining in your area, go out and enjoy it!

Real Cajuns don't use Old Bay Seasoning? deco.gif

I just discovered this stuff recently. It's not bad. What do real Cajuns use? Hot stuff?

LOL! Leah, mais cher! Only for you...

Old Bay is great stuff...but 'taint Cajun at all. I think it might be more of a Northeastern coastal flavor.

Louisiana cooking is not all about hot stuff…THAT idea is mostly a lot of hooey put out there by a couple of hot celebrity chefs. We love our Tabasco, yes! But at the table, not so much in the pot, ‘cause not everyone likes it hot, hot, hot.

To give you an idea of a good Louisiana seasoning blend and how it can be used, I went rooting around the Kitchen forum and found one of my old posts where someone asked about how to make a New Orleans style seasoning mix…

Recipes at the end...enjoy!

And, everybody? Ya'll be sure to check out that video, now. It'll help loosen up your tight muscles and all...

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...true#Post191208

As a seventh generation New Orleanian, I think I might qualify to answer that question...here's my recipe for some kicking Jambalaya! Make it as hot or mild as you like, it's all good.

After you make Jambalaya a couple of times 'from scratch' using this recipe,' tis so easy you'll wonder what the boxed stuff is for...

Here, looksee, the recipe on a page stolen from my blog:

http://purecajunsunshine.blogspot.com/2007...laya-ya-ya.html

Jambalaya-ya-ya!

First, here's a little video to get you in the mood for some kicking Jambalaya. Wow! can you believe a four year old kid can sing and dance like that? Oh hey, check out those cool moves, too. If you're on pokey-slow dial-up internet connection like I am, I can guarantee that the long wait will be worth your while. Enjoy your Jambalaya!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQPEsa5e7K0...ated&search

Please pull up the Hunter Hayes "Jambalaya on the Bayou" video.

By the way, I am not sending my readers to any other links that may be on the same page. Link advisory: some sites may contain tasteless or downright raunchy UTube videos that's sure to ruin your appetite for good food.

JAMBALAYA, the story and the recipe

For those of you who are not familiar with this kind of cooking, first things first:

South Louisiana cooking has become popular because of the wonderfully complex flavors that come from a blending of French, Spanish, Native American, Caribbean, African and other cooking cultures. It is highly adaptable to a wide range of ingredient substitutions, making it one of the most economical cooking styles around.

If you leave out any of what is known as the "holy trinity" (chopped onions, bell pepper and celery, sauteed in a small amount of oil), you have left out a little bit of the soul of Louisiana cooking. Some, like me, like to throw the "Pope" (garlic) into the pot (I suppose I coulda worded that better).

This Jambalaya recipe reflects some of my heritage: French/Native American/los Islenos Spanish. When my mother's mother's side of the family (early los Islenos, also known as Spanish Canary Island Settlers) came to the New Orleans area in the 1700s, they brought the recipes for their wonderful paella. Since all the ingredients could not be found in the area, they "made do" with what they found. Oysters, shrimp, crab, chicken, duck, alligator, crawfish, etc. replaced the clams and mussels called for in the original recipes. A long time ago, the locals around New Orleans called these improvised recipes of the los Islenos, "Jambon a la yaya". Yaya is the African word for rice. Now it is called Jambalaya, and it is delicious!

Now that you know one of the stories behind it, here's a good Jambalaya recipe. Save a bundle on the commercially boxed version that is sold nowadays.

PureCajunSunshine's JAMBALAYA (meat or meatless)

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 lb (or more) boneless & skinless meat (any kind will do: chicken breasts, rabbit, turtle, deer, alligator or just about anything that don't eat you first)

12 ounces (or more) your favorite smoked sliced sausage (I like to use Andouille, which is a delicious South Louisiana sausage that is perfect for seasoning old-time Jambalayas, Gumbos and Red Beans & Rice. Not to be confused with the continental French "andouillette", which is a tripe sausage(yuck). A good quality Keilbasa sausage may be used instead.

If going no-meat, use 4 - 6 cups cooked black-eyed peas or black beans, or 2 or 3 cans of storebought'en. Whatever you use, make sure it is flavorful and seasoned well.

1 medium-large onion, diced

2 stalks celery, diced

1 small-medium bell pepper, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

(beginner cooks: a clove is a single "toe" taken from the main

bunch)

1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with the juice

a few dashes (about a teaspoon)of your favorite hot pepper

sauce (preferably Louisiana hot sauce)

2 tablespoons or more of your favorite cooking oil

1 1/2 cups of water (or stock/bouillion for extra flavor)

salt & pepper to taste

4 to 6 cups hot cooked rice

1/2 - 1 teaspoon Cajun spice blend, more or less, to taste

Cajun spice blends are found in groceries almost everywhere in Southern America nowadays, because a good thing is hard to hide...(Just curious, is it available in Northern states??) For our friends in other lands, a recipe for a famous Cajun seasoning blend will follow Jambalaya recipe.

Nice touches, if you have it: 1 teaspoon filé powder (powdered Sassafras leaf, and pronounced FEE-lay); 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato sauce/spread (such as Classico brand or something similar; 1 cup fresh green onion tops, chopped. The filé powder and green onion tops are added at the very end of cooking. Wild edibles such as chickweed, cattail roots, violet leaves, etc. can be added to Jambalaya.

DIRECTIONS:

Heat a large, heavy dry pan over medium-high heat. Cast iron is always good. Add a very tiny amount of cooking oil to coat the bottom of the pot. Add sliced sausage. Cook until browned (about 30 minutes). At this point it is ok if some of the browning sausage (and added meat) sticks to the bottom of the pot. This will give the Jambalaya extra flavor and a nice brown color. Remove sausage, keeping the drippings in the pan for next step. Cut chicken (or whatever meat you have on hand)into half-inch pieces and brown in remaining oil. Return sausage to pan and add onion, celery, garlic and peppers. Cook over medium heat until the the vegetables are almost tender. Add tomatoes and their juice, along with a cup of water (or stock/bouillion). Stir well. If you have bits of meat stuck to the pot, remove from heat and allow to cool a little. Work the bits loose with a large spoon. Return to heat, turned low. Add Cajun spices and hot sauce, stir well, cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes to an hour, depending on taste preferences or time allowance. Add cooked rice, stir well and heat through.

For a one-dish meal, I sometimes add a bit of cooked okra, collard, mustard or turnip greens (leftover or canned), canned corn, black beans, etc. Adjust your seasonings according to the amount of extra veggies or beans that have been added.

MAKE YOUR OWN CAJUN SEASONING:

If you don't have a good quality commercial Cajun seasoning blend such Tony Chachere's, Zatarain's or Emeril's Bayou Blast, then make your own.

Here is a recipe for Emeril's Bayou Blast. This homemade version is not as complex as the commercial version, but it'll do:

2 1/2 T. paprika

2 T salt

2 T garlic powder

1 T onion powder

1 T black pepper

1 T cayenne pepper powder

1 T oregano, dried and crumbled fine

1 T thyme, dried and crumbled fine

Combine all ingredients, mix well. Pour into a clean salt shaker.

Use on just about anything. Sprinkle generously before cooking.

Ça c'est bon! (that's good!),

PureCajunSunshine

This may be reprinted by you for noncommercial use, if the following credit is given:

This recipe is an excerpt from Mrs. Tightwad's Handbook #4 HOW TO COOK AND LIVE LIKE A REAL CAJUN: Jazz Up Your Kitchen Without Setting Your Mouth On Fire. For more information, see the left sidebar on this site: http://purecajunsunshine.blogspot.com/

I saved this thread. Thanks, PureCajunSunshine!

BTW --- You haven't posted in your blog since October!? tsk, tsk.

36_1_12.gif hahahahahahahaha

Archived