MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

MountainMommy's Guide to the New Forums

MountainMommy

I will update this first post as I think of new things.

To change the time (it is defaulting as Greenwich mean time), go to (at the top of the forums): my controls, then, down on the left under options, board settings, then you can change to your own time zone there. Eastern time zone is -5; mountain is -7, etc. Down at the bottom, click on "change my account options".

To change to the enhanced text editor (recommended) for posts: go to (at the top of the forums): my controls, then, down on the left under options, board settings, then down under post settings, change the type of text editor from standard to "rich text editor". Down at the bottom, click on "change my account options".

Quick reply: Prefer the quick reply option? Go to (at the top of the forums): my controls, then, down on the left under options, board settings, then under posting settings, choose "yes" for "Open Fast Reply automatically when available". Down at the bottom, click on "change my account options".

Personal photos/avatars: Personal photos and avatars are two different things. Avatars show up next to your post, whereas personal photos are only in your profile. Avatars also show up in your profile. The idea is that you can have an avatar which represents a part of your personality, and still have a picture of yourself, if you want... or a picture of whatever. Your choice. The avatars are limited in size to 120 pixels wide by 120 pixels high, and 100 kb. This is quite large by most forums' standards. The forum will size them down, dimensionally, if they are too big, but it can't make them smaller in file size (kb). The personal photos are limited to 120 x 120. Remember to save! Note on avatars: They did not transfer. You need to upload new ones. Sorry...

Personal profiles: Profiles can be as detailed as you want. Once you poke around a bit, you will see that you can have all kinds of stuff in there. To access your profile info, at the top of the forums, click on my controls, then, down on the left under "personal profile", click "edit profile information" and/or edit portal information and/or edit about me page. You can also edit your sig there, your avatar there, your photo there. Have at 'er. Have fun. Remember to save!

Smilies: we need to upload them. Please be patient! We still have lots to do, but we will get it done. Promise!

Did we lose posts again? Short answer: no. A glitch in the conversion changed the numbers in post counts for some members, but the total number of posts is the same as it was. We lost nothing. If you are worried about your post count figures, let Darlene know, and she can adjust your total.

Where are the private forums? That's on our to-do list! Until we can get to setting up the proper security levels, we made them inaccessible to everyone, for privacy reasons. Please be patient, we'll get to it as soon as we can :)

Are you on dial-up? Forums still slow? For those who are still on dial-up, there is an option for reading the forums that is super-fast. It's called the "Lo-Fi Version". It's a stripped down version of the forums that loads without any graphics. But it is only reading posts, you can't post to them. In order to post, you need to change back to "hi-fi". Lots of people are saying this is a life-saver for them.

Another option for dial-up users: For those who are on dial-up, and really do not want to switch back to hi-fi to post, you can choose a bare-bones "skin". At the bottom of any forum page, you will see something that says "English". Just above that, click on the box, where there is a list of skins, and it will give the option of choosing a low-graphics skin (IPB Classic Blue). Hope this helps. Also, in your controls, you can choose not to show members avatars or signatures. This helps speed things up as well. (My controls - options (left menu) - board settings - board display settings). <----- NEW

Choose your own look: Don't like how the forums look? The forums can be changed with something called "skins". If you don't like our default skin or our holiday skins, you can change them any time you want. Just scroll to the bottom of the forums, and on the left, just above where it says "English", there is a drop down menu where you can choose different skins. You can toggle back and forth as often as you want. Have fun! <----- NEW

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the avitar I previously had isn't showing up. It looks like a thin strip under my name. Does that mean it needs to be re-sized?

I'll need to get my husband to fix it for me. I nagged everyone in my house for weeks till someone helped me get mine on.

Let the nagging begin...again!

You can open a second window so that you have MountainMommy's instructions AND the window you're making the changes in.

On your own keyboard, click on "CTRL" (control) plus the letter "N" (for NEW) at the same time, and a new window opens with the same content. Then go make your changes in one of them...

This works for you with Microsoft Windows everywhere... it's not just *here*.

Yes... how do we get our special smilies back??? kittyhug3.gif

You can open a second window so that you have MountainMommy's instructions AND the window you're making the changes in.

On your own keyboard, click on "CTRL" (control) plus the letter "N" (for NEW) at the same time, and a new window opens with the same content. Then go make your changes in one of them...

Yes... how do we get our special smilies back??? kittyhug3.gif

Thank you! This is most helpful! Now I might get some of this stuff figured out!

So, the avitar I previously had isn't showing up. It looks like a thin strip under my name. Does that mean it needs to be re-sized?

I'll need to get my husband to fix it for me. I nagged everyone in my house for weeks till someone helped me get mine on.

Let the nagging begin...again!

I don't think anybodies is work?

I tried to get ours back up too and we all just have a line?

Does that mean we are dead? :o

This is really helpful MM. One thing I've noticed...in a thread that shows new replies...it used to be if you clicked on it, it would take you directly to the newest reply...now it take you to the very first reply each time. At least it does for me. Is that something we need to change in our settings?

This is really helpful MM. One thing I've noticed...in a thread that shows new replies...it used to be if you clicked on it, it would take you directly to the newest reply...now it take you to the very first reply each time. At least it does for me. Is that something we need to change in our settings?

ah yes, there is a little tiny arrow... click on that, it goes right to your own newest reply. This will be different depending on the "skin" we are using.

MM my avaitor is smaller than the limit but it still shows up as a line. Any other suggestions?...no rush just when you get time :)

weird... is showing up okay for me... a cute little girl planting something in a flower pot?

Mine is doing the same thing. :(

"Wormie"

John

okay, I will figure out why

Mine was there - for a bit?

but again thanks for all the work you are doing keeping us all 'in the loop'

:Michael1:

yeah, it shows up in firefox, but not in IE, if we set it one way... then the opposite if we set it the other. There's a glitch.

we'll get it fixed.

yeah, it shows up in firefox, but not in IE, if we set it one way... then the opposite if we set it the other. There's a glitch.

we'll get it fixed.

Are YOU having fun 'PLAYING' with all this 'new' stuff?

I know it is a pain but sometines when you are up to your neck doing something you love it is pure joy to see it happening and when it works out - WOW!

keep up the good work and we will just sit here watching it all come together.

:Michael1:

Yeah..it looked fine yesterday but today it looks stretched. What is up with that? And...I don't know how to pm an attachment. That hasn't worked for me, yet, LOLOh...and looky there..it looks fine again, LOL LOL :lol:

Archived