MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Greetings from Missouri

NaeMo

I've been reading on the forums for days after a friend recommended this site (Hi!). Thanks to you all, I learned that I WILL be able to pressure can on my smooth top range. That is so exciting to me! My dh is excited about having home canned beans. :)

I live in north-ish MO in a small town with my husband and 9 kids (ages 1-17). We are raising a small flock of chickens here in town, so we're already a little "weird". :lol: We've always been tight on cash, but the last couple years has been easier, so we have finally been quietly preparing. I started stockpiling items when I learned how to coupon, so we are set on toiletries, but it is very hard to stockpile food with all these kids. LOL.

My dh and son do not hunt, but that will be changing this year, as they are preparing for that.

We live near many Amish, and have acquired many lanterns and bulk goods, but we are nowhere near prepared if things should come crashing down right now. We do have a basic plan, and I am gathering lots of info from you! I am thankful you are here, all the people around me that know how to do all these things are passing away. :(

Anyway, I plan to be busier this year than I have ever been, between learning/doing all this and teaching my children. I'm ready to dig in!

:wave:

groupsmile.gif

Are you able to shop at an Amish store? You can often buy things in bulk, and they're usually happy to cut prices if you order, say, a whole case of lids or jars. It never hurts to ask! ;)

Start spreading the word at church or other "people gatherings" that you're interested in canning supplies. Call realtors and let them know you'll clean out basement canning shelves if you get to keep the jars (and sometimes other supplies). Talk with older ladies and let them know you're wanting to can and you'd welcome any advice, recipes, or supplies.

You never know what might come your way!!!

And ask anything you like here... we'll help you find what you need!

putercatf.gif

groupsmile.gif

Are you able to shop at an Amish store? You can often buy things in bulk, and they're usually happy to cut prices if you order, say, a whole case of lids or jars. It never hurts to ask! ;)

Start spreading the word at church or other "people gatherings" that you're interested in canning supplies. Call realtors and let them know you'll clean out basement canning shelves if you get to keep the jars (and sometimes other supplies). Talk with older ladies and let them know you're wanting to can and you'd welcome any advice, recipes, or supplies.

You never know what might come your way!!!

And ask anything you like here... we'll help you find what you need!

putercatf.gif

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I'm sure the Amish would be happy to order in for me. They already carry 50lb bags of grain and hand mills and big stock pots... you name it, they probably have it. LOL.

That's a great idea about mentioning collecting canning supplies to people. I got most of my current crop of jars from my best friend's mom. My friend drove from WI to MO with all these jars, just because her mom wanted to get rid of them all. Many standard masons in there, but also a bunch of mayo jars. I need to go through them all. My sweet old neighbor passed away recently, and there will probably be a lot of canning supplies auctioned off soon.

You've reminded me to get going on that canning workshop

I would LOVE a workshop in my area. I was thinking about this just yesterday. I live in a small town, 1500 or so. Surely big enough for something like this. The more people that know how to do this, the better.

Feel better soon!

Archived