MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Greetings from MD

zophiel

Hello everyone! I've been lurking about for a few days, but figured courtesy demands I introduce myself at some point, even if I tend toward lurking generally.

So, I'm a single chick who lives in Suburban MD, works for the Army (Go Army!), and has an unnatural love of subtitled japanese cartoons and ninjas. I got my bachelors degree in 2002 from Loyola University New Orleans in Music Education, which is, of course, why I now have a gov't job.

I suppose I've been prepping in small ways for several years, from teaching myself to knit and crochet (Mom taught me sewing, embroidering and quilting as a kid, but never anything yarn-based), to teaching myself to garden veggies, herbs, and even some fruit (Mom has a brown thumb-- she jokes that she kills even silk flowers). While I haven't yet taught myself to spin, I've read up on it, so at least I've got the basic theory down, which is a start . . .

I've been haunted by a need to know at least the basics of how to do things for some time now, a feeling familiar to when I lived in New Orleans. In the years between 1998 and 2002, my friends and I would sit around in our dorm rooms, and casually talk about the great storm that would soon flood the city. We knew it would happen within 10 years, and we all promised each other to get out of New Orleans as soon as we could after finishing our schooling. The last of the bunch left NO exactly one month before Katrina hit.

I know of two others of that group, including myself, who have, over the past few years, been getting the "heebie-jeebies" when we look out at the world. These feelings have intensified over the past six months, to the point that I and my current roommate both purchased our first firearms, and regularly work on our marksmanship. (In point of fact, my very down-to-earth, steady-as-a-rock, never-buys-into-hype-or-rumors father is seriously considering buying his own first firearm because, in his words "Since it looks like civilization is about to collapse around our ears, I'd like something to hold the zombies at bay.") Likewise, the garden this year is twice the size of previous gardens, and I've even got a new peach tree (named, typically for me, Momochan).

Roommate and I have also been putting together our BOBs, reminding ourselves that anything is better than nothing, and a little more today or tomorrow is still moving in the right direction. This summer I'll be learning to make preserves and jam, and how to can other yummy things, and Roommate has promised to help teach.

So, that's the brief intro to me and my life. See y'all round the forums!

^_^

Z-chan

Welcome :welcome4: just look around and you will find everything you need to know about canning and the like. You have arrived at the right place. We are all concerned about the future and we prep a lot. So join in and don't be afraid to ask questions, we all had them when we started.

:pc_coffee:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! Glad to hear you are taking up the fiber arts! I, myself love to spin wool into yarn, knit, crochet and quilt. It sounds like you are on the right track with your prepping. Keep up the good work!

Archived