MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Leaving Las Vegas

dlvrme

Good Morning!

I am ready to jump in and get started (hopefully not head first in the shallow end)

Well, I live in Las Vegas, but I really think its time to move on. My hubby of 14 1/2 years died in January :sad-smiley-012:

Right before then, we had discussed getting prepared for quite some time, and being the strong man of faith that he was (not to mention hunter/fisher/gatherer/warrior) he was for a time reluctant but eventually we agreed to get started.

Well, here I am . I have 4 months of goods, seeds not planted (because I am moving more than likely) I bought a shotgun last week that I don't know how to load and a little bit of gold and silver coins.

My first goal is to can butter. Then I need to figure out bread. And figure out where I am going to move. I have got to get out of this city!

While lurking here, I have had quite a few good laughs and shed a few tears, I am sure that I will be spend quite a few more hours here learning fom the masters!

Oh, I found a link for some cheap buckets, $2 each, I think you have to order them in bulk, don't know where to post it....

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/grd/1208365013.html

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome dlrvme, hope you feel at home here. Pleae feel free to ak anything you like. Someone is bound to have the answer.

My first goal is to can butter.

noooway.gif

Oh, Sweetie... I hate to be negative on your very first post, but canning butter is NOT a good goal to have. You will find many posts about it all over the internet (and discussion about it in the Edge forum hush1.gif ), but it's NOT safe to can any dairy products, even in recipes. It's WAY too risky. nonosmiley.gif

It's much smarter and safer to buy commercially-canned butter or "ghee". (What's ghee? Ask westie! Don't forget to give her chocolates, and she'll tell you ALL about it! ;) )

Have you canned? Frozen? dehydrated? How can we help you??

The Second Amendment forum is the place to go for gun questions. Maybe someone there knows how you can go about finding a qualified, safe, understanding instructor to help you learn about your shotgun. http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showforum=38

I'm so sorry your dear husband is gone. I like the way you describe him... man of faith, hunter/fisher/gatherer/warrior! It's so typically male, wanting to feel that he is strong enough to protect and preserve you from all harm. It sometimes hurts the male ego if the woman wants to "prepare"... kind of like a lack of faith in his skills and knowledge. I like to think that it is God's plan to put *that* in the male, and the corresponding need to "store up and gather together" in the female. Together the family survives and prospers in the bleakest of times. I'm sorry that you need to carry on without him. I hope you have others around you to support and help.

I hope you read the "You Might Be A Survivalist If..." thread in "Humor Me". **Cat looks around, then whispers... "Some of us take notes from it!!** :24:

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19116

And I thought I could sneak in a couple of women-friendly jokes by labeling them "Feminine Protection" (foolishly thinking the guys would be scared off innocentsmily.gif ), but that backfired *BIG TIME* and now has 140 posts in it. :blink:

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19367

Then there's the CIA and Homeland Security watching us threads... :happy0203:

I'm so glad you decided to jump in! Whatever you're looking for, just ask. We love to help!

welcomwagon.gif

Good Morning!

I am ready to jump in and get started (hopefully not head first in the shallow end)

Well, I live in Las Vegas, but I really think its time to move on. My hubby of 14 1/2 years died in January :sad-smiley-012:

Right before then, we had discussed getting prepared for quite some time, and being the strong man of faith that he was (not to mention hunter/fisher/gatherer/warrior) he was for a time reluctant but eventually we agreed to get started.

Well, here I am . I have 4 months of goods, seeds not planted (because I am moving more than likely) I bought a shotgun last week that I don't know how to load and a little bit of gold and silver coins.

My first goal is to can butter. Then I need to figure out bread. And figure out where I am going to move. I have got to get out of this city!

While lurking here, I have had quite a few good laughs and shed a few tears, I am sure that I will be spend quite a few more hours here learning fom the masters!

Oh, I found a link for some cheap buckets, $2 each, I think you have to order them in bulk, don't know where to post it....

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/grd/1208365013.html

Nice to meet you all!

Hey there! I lived in Vegas, actually Henderson, for 10 years and left almost 3 years ago. I live in Texas now :)

Welcome to the forum!

Glad you joined and I look forward to your posts. :welcome: I am currently in upstate NY, but lived in the desert in Calif for a long time. I will be moving to east TX when I can as my son and dil will be there after she is done with duties in NC, hopefully, as her whole family is north of Houston or in it. NE TX sounds pretty nice too and good folks there.

• 3 weeks later...

dlrvme,

just want to say welcome. You are not alone! I see you haven't posted for a couple of weeks.. I hope you are still around.

wes

Hi and Welcome...sorry to hear about your dear husband. Sounds like he was a wonderful man. This place is full of info and friends so make yourself at home.

Archived